RIM: Hybrid QNX BlackBerries This Summer, Says Jefferies - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

Update...adding a link describing qnx scalability...while your there spend some time on the site...there's a wealth of cool info!

http://www.qnx.com/solutions/industries/netcom/scalability.html

I clipped this ....as a quote from the article

"capability that is independent of the underlying interconnect technology" .....so QNX under BBOS...I think we have a winner! Woohoo! Read the whole artice to get the full context
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-11-11 at 02:56 PM.
    03-11-11 09:22 AM
    Beat me to it! lol...

My take on this is more of a consumer appeal approach...or the fact that it would be easier to integrate a transition to a full QNX roll out in 2012 or even late 2011 if they start working on those interfaces (i.e. upcoming devices).

What this also means is if they're able to develop a scaled down version of QNX, the phones out in 2011 won't need a dual core environment to run and may eventually be upgraded to the QNX OS (or BB 7 I'm guessing) in the somewhat distant future
    03-11-11 09:48 AM
    This may be what they did with 6.1, but it won't solve the issues we're seeing now. All this will do is improve hardware allocation and interaction. Perhaps this is why now in 6.1 onboard media memory can be used for app installs.

I don't see this being any different than low level software running on a drive allowing for LBA back in the day. A crude example, but all I'm saying is that this won't fix the glaring OS issues on the Java side of things.
    03-11-11 09:50 AM
    This may be what they did with 6.1, but it won't solve the issues we're seeing now. All this will do is improve hardware allocation and interaction. Perhaps this is why now in 6.1 onboard media memory can be used for app installs.

I don't see this being any different than low level software running on a drive allowing for LBA back in the day. A crude example, but all I'm saying is that this won't fix the glaring OS issues on the Java side of things.
    Oh of course not, but everything happens in intervals with most companies; you don't see day until you've completely cycled out of night.

Still a step in the right direction IMO - may boost consumer appeal as well
    03-11-11 09:56 AM
    full QNX implementation or GTFO! thats what i want
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-11-11 09:59 AM
    I wouldnt put too much weight into that article, doesn't seem like they know what they are talking about to me....

It would also allow BlackBerries to start using apps written for Google’s (GOOG) “Android” software, which the PlayBook will be able to do.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-11-11 10:29 AM
    Misek is a known Bull on RIMM, but if there is anything to this story it puts some solid ground under our hopes of at least a SEMI QNX based Monaco, Torch 2, Dakota, etc.
    03-11-11 10:43 AM
    From what I got out of the article, it's saying that this 6.1 will be a gobetween...not exactly a Hybrid in the traditional sense. I'm just looking for new hardware...I've been babying this Tour for 2 years now. All I want is an Upgrade.

03-11-11 11:19 AM
    Beat me to it! lol...

My take on this is more of a consumer appeal approach...or the fact that it would be easier to integrate a transition to a full QNX roll out in 2012 or even late 2011 if they start working on those interfaces (i.e. upcoming devices).

What this also means is if they're able to develop a scaled down version of QNX, the phones out in 2011 won't need a dual core environment to run and may eventually be upgraded to the QNX OS (or BB 7 I'm guessing) in the somewhat distant future
    Lol...yeah saw it come up at morning coffee....QNX is amazingly scalable...allowing the ability to remove everything leaving only the core process to function...I like this approach...unlike any other platform overhall, which are un scaleable....each os update can scale up to full seamless QNX intergration allowing for a nice transition in my eyes...there are just too many capabilities coming to 6.1 that BB OS would be to uncapable/inefficient to operate...IMHO

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-11-11 at 11:27 AM.
    03-11-11 11:24 AM
    How exciting.

I am hoping that my bold 9650 will get 6.1 lite. I know its a long, long shot, but hey, a man can dream.
    03-11-11 11:33 AM
    Lol...yeah saw it come up at morning coffee....QNX is amazingly scalable...allowing the ability to remove everything leaving only the core process to function...I like this approach...unlike any other platform overhall, which are un scaleable....each os update can scale up to full seamless QNX intergration allowing for a nice transition in my eyes...there are just too many capabilities coming to 6.1 that BB OS would be to uncapable/inefficient to operate...IMHO

If that is true then they could roll out a full scale OS 6.1 update that would scale to older processors...I don't know if it's worth being scalable to the older phones like the Storm 2 because it would have to be stripped down-but I'd like to see it happen...
    03-11-11 11:44 AM
    How exciting.

I am hoping that my bold 9650 will get 6.1 lite. I know its a long, long shot, but hey, a man can dream.
    It probably will get it due to the memory size.
    03-11-11 11:58 AM
    This is what a lot of us have been speculating. I hope it ends up being true. I know it's not an end all, but it would really fix a lot of the issues we've been experiencing.
    03-11-11 12:05 PM
    How exciting.

I'm gonna bet the "6.1 lite" version is for hardware on phones that doesn't support " QNX lite"

03-11-11 01:24 PM
    I'm gonna bet the "6.1 lite" version is for hardware on phones that doesn't support " QNX lite"

So then what would 6.1 lite be if it wasn't running a toned down QNX kernel?
    03-11-11 01:39 PM
    So then what would 6.1 lite be if it wasn't running a toned down QNX kernel?
    question we need answered is how scaleable is Qnx to it's furthest extrerme( I would assume the micro kernel would be applied for resource management...in it's most scalable form...doing just what it's famous for...keeping resources seperate and utilizing it's most basic and pure RTOS functionability....the cool thing I find is that the more you scale it...it actually allows for some very powerful basic functioning

Possibly 6.1 lite will be null of the capabilities of open gl, and advanced api's etc...the goodies that are present in 6.1 full version

Here's a link for Qnx scalability
    http://www.qnx.com/solutions/industries/netcom/scalability.html
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-11-11 at 06:56 PM.
    03-11-11 02:32 PM
    That guy reads like some of the more optimistic wish-fulfillment of some of the posters on here, the odds are that os6.1 is mostly just os6 updated to support all the new hardware in these new devices meaning that there was little point there being a 6.1 lite for older devices.

If anything 6.1 lite is more likely to be aimed at those new curves, apollo and the cdma one since they seem to have less ram than the main new devices.

Personally though, the main thing I want from a blackberry upgrade is better performance and the new hardware will deliver that without qnx, if people were more objective and not just reciting the tired old meme of bb os is old and lags way behind ios/android then maybe they'd look at what it can actually do which matches up just fine other than in areas like 3rd party app totals and games.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    03-11-11 02:59 PM
    That guy reads like some of the more optimistic wish-fulfillment of some of the posters on here, the odds are that os6.1 is mostly just os6 updated to support all the new hardware in these new devices meaning that there was little point there being a 6.1 lite for older devices.

If anything 6.1 lite is more likely to be aimed at those new curves, apollo and the cdma one since they seem to have less ram than the main new devices.

Personally though, the main thing I want from a blackberry upgrade is better performance and the new hardware will deliver that without qnx, if people were more objective and not just reciting the tired old meme of bb os is old and lags way behind ios/android then maybe they'd look at what it can actually do which matches up just fine other than in areas like 3rd party app totals and games.
    "]That guy reads like some of the more optimistic wish-fulfillment of some of the posters on here"

-no that would be seeing a vision of having an OS that supports every programming language known to man, and therfores being able to adress and impliment the most cutting edge solution on the market....ex...current email ecosytem vs potential of having python email 6 cpabilities on BB's....playbook and HH's....etc....that was one example...but that is far from wishful thinking...certain things are imminent....

http://pycon.blogspot.com/2011/03/welcome-to-qnx-and-thanks-to-all-our.html-speculation at this point however highly possible...and far from"wishful thinking"

"Personally though, the main thing I want from a blackberry upgrade is better performance and the new hardware will deliver that without qnx, if people were more objective and not just reciting the tired old meme of bb os is old and lags way behind ios/android"

-we are on the same page...my enthusiam and grandiose notions root in what you just mentioned...however I'm going beyond what could/should/would and what is.....and just realistically speaking seeing the base foundation to build the house upon...

The gravity with QNX....is that unlike other OS's....Rim literally has acsess to any and every programming capability out there....when they design an outline for a prgram such as BBM, email solutions etc....they have no boundaries as far as the competition is concerned....ios prgramming is limeted to Apples architecture......ios can't run qnx....qnx can run ios.......Android is the most capable os in the eyes of many....android can't run qnx....however qnx can run android....the gravity of that is unprecendented....think about that for a few minutes.

Then take that and see Rim's vision in "super phones" and the PB being a" mobile computing platform" there are no limits...none of this is wishful thinking....this is just the way it is

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-11-11 at 03:34 PM.
    03-11-11 03:27 PM

Totally agree! Not to say 6.1 doesn't have any QNX influence because it might. But right now it's just too hard to tell. But with or without, as long as they address most of the issues plaguing the BB platform with the newer hardware/software combination then things will be much better.
    03-11-11 03:28 PM
    Totally agree! Not to say 6.1 doesn't have any QNX influence because it might. But right now it's just too hard to tell. But with or without, as long as they address most of the issues plaguing the BB platform with the newer hardware/software combination then things will be much better.
    I think they are keeping it mum because it's going to be the ace up their sleeve.

They want people to focus on the PB first. Once it's closer to launch they'll disclose the QNX kernel and the input that they had.
    03-11-11 03:47 PM
    I think they are keeping it mum because it's going to be the ace up their sleeve.

They want people to focus on the PB first. Once it's closer to launch they'll disclose the QNX kernel and the input that they had.
    I'm with you seeing that as an ace up their sleeve....the true ace I believe will be when QNX full integration is introduced to the back end(BES and BIS/NOC)......ex....seeing as QNX runs the web...and have a wealth of knowledge and experience as well technology which they have collaborated with cisco to use on their web servers...imagine the impact they will have on RIMS network distribution...in my eyes that's incredible

rollingrock1988 likes this.
    03-11-11 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD