My hubby and I are going on a short trip to Vegas and I am wondering if we can talk through BBM without it costing extra. We both currently have the email/BBM plan without data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 06:12 PM
    Any data outside of Canada will have roaming charges - even on an email/bbm plan
    02-04-10 06:29 PM
    Not that it's any of my business. If you are going to LV together, why would you need to BBM each other? Plan on doing separate activities
    02-04-10 07:19 PM
    Lol actually we plan on doing some of our own thing. I don't really gamble so I'd rather go shopping. Also, in case we get accidentally seperated we'd need to contact eachother somehow

02-04-10 08:16 PM
    Data cost money for roaming.. I got hit 50 dollars because I forgot.
    02-05-10 09:18 PM
    U can however use BBM and email for free on the hotels WIFI
    02-05-10 09:31 PM
    Yeah that would be great if they didn't charge $15 per day for wifi I think I'll just stick with $0.75 SMS when I need to.

02-06-10 06:50 PM
    Its going to cost you a arm and a leg to use your BB outside the country. Try to find some type of prepaid data plan when your in the states.

02-07-10 12:50 AM
    My hubby and I are going on a short trip to Vegas and I am wondering if we can talk through BBM without it costing extra. We both currently have the email/BBM plan without data.

Most of the Rogers data plans have a US roaming rate of .006 cents per KB. That works out to $6/MB. I don't know how much email you get, but if you are just using it for an emergency BBM, you will not go over a MB.

I have never gone over 2MB and that is with heavy email and BBM usage.

Just don't send each other photos.

But check with Rogers for your plans exact rate.

I found this on their site:

Additional data transmission is charged at 3/MB. While roaming in the U.S., data transmission charges of 0.6/kb apply. While roaming internationally, data transmission charges of 3/kb apply.
    But that might not apply to your plan.
    02-08-10 02:54 PM
    Heres how it worked when i worked for rogers, apparently things have changed though and i've personally called rogers to get an answer multiple times and no one has any idea how the pricing with bbm works in the United States. Anyways, heres how we were told it worked a few years back. With bbm, each character = 1 byte. Now, there are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte. Bender was right when he said that most plans that have a data plan do get the .006 cents per kb pricing.

When you look at it this way, it would take 1024 characters to rack up .006 cents in chargers.

The furthest i got with rogers, was that each BBM msg is roughly about 3kb... which in itself makes no sense because bbm msgs can range vastly in size. However, even if this is that case, thats .018 cents per msg which is still fairly cheap.
    02-10-10 02:09 PM
    How do you configure your BBM and email to use WIFI instead of 3G?

U can however use BBM and email for free on the hotels WIFI
    02-10-10 04:08 PM
    If your settings are wifi preferred it should automatically go through wifi if you have a connection (wifi is white and not grey)

02-11-10 06:36 PM
    How do I make sure I don't get charged for emails that I receive? Do I just not read them or do I have to disable them somehow?

02-11-10 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD