I imagine that issue has been posted before but I am struggling to find the solution in other posts - grateful of any advice/solutions out there.

I have the Blackberry Torch on Vodafone UK,
    We use Google Apps for email at work and I also use Google Apps for my personal email. I have both accounts set up on the Torch.

Email, calendar and contacts sync well with Google Apps in both instances but I am having issues with read email syncing.

If I read an email on the BB it is also marked as read on the web almost instantly however if I read an email online it does not sync with the BB that it has been read. Using 'Reconcile now' does not seem to trigger the sync. Occasionally the BB will sync read emails but this happens very rarely (not even once a week) and for no apparent reason.

As you can imagine this is really frustrating and I usually end up manually going through and marking emails as read. As I spend most of the day at my desk I read the majority of my emails on the internet and my Blackberry tends to display that I have a few hundred unread emails when in fact I have read with most of them!

Thanks in advance
    04-04-11 03:51 AM
    For months I've been looking for a working solution to this problem. There are lots of helpful advice, like installing the Google for Blackberry application for example. This will work, but has a different problem: attached PDFs become text attachments instead (i.e. all images are lost). And of course, not everybody is happy with the idea of having a separate application just to read Google Mail.

Allegedly, if you buy BES for your organisation, and at the same time go for the Enterprise (paid) edition of Google Apps, Google will sell you an add-on that will make the read/unread issue disappear and guarantee you can read your PDFs on the BB too. I have no way to confirm this. All information is vague, and to be honest, after months of searching on the Web, I didn't find a single instance of anyone who has this kind of setup and can vouch that it works. It seems quite a large investment just to find out, at the end of the day, that it has the same limitations as the "free" BIS/Google Apps (unpaid) version...

So I'd be quite happy to hear about a solution, but I almost can believe that none exists. Threads discussing these limitations go back years and years. Both Google's and RIM's sites are notoriously silent about these limitations.

What I find so surprising is that millions and millions of users sync their BB's daily with their Gmail (or Google Apps) accounts, and don't bother with the details. Online discussions suggest to open PDFs on the Web browser, and don't worry much about not being able to read them on the BB. Others suggest only to mark messages as read on the BB and never on Outlook/web browser, and adopt that as their standard procedure, and be happy with it.

I can say that my own reputation as an IT consultant has been questioned because I cannot make something so simple to work when every other phone brand, from expensive, overpriced iPhones to cheap US$50 Android phones, have absolutely no problems in doing two-way sync with Gmail/Google Apps, and have been able to do flawlessly for half a decade now.

My last hope seems to move away from Google Apps/Gmail as the primary mailbox for the BB users (just use the carrier's email address), and configure Gmail's settings just to sync with that. So this would mean that the BB will sync two-way with an external mailbox; Outlook will do the same; but actual email will get delivered to Google Apps and forwarded with a filter to the external mailbox. In turn, Google Apps will be configured to pull (via POP3) email from the external mailbox but not delete it, so users will be able to use the full functionality of Google Apps when on the Web. I might run into problems with sync'ing calendars and contacts, but apparently Google Sync for the Blackberry works well. My question (to be field-tested...) is if MS Outlook will play nice with that configuration.

Tortuous and devious. Yes, I understand that mail reception on the BB via BIS is not really "mail reception" but a tricky, proprietary protocol developed by RIM... However, bypassing BIS and logging in directly to Google Apps/Gmail will still have exactly the same problem with read/unread messages. RIM and Google definitely don't play well together, and none bothers to fix whatever is causing this issue for years and years now...
    04-05-11 03:14 PM
    As this issue is still not solved this really shows how well the RIM support works. I imagine they must have thousands of complaints about that by now. Still no fix. Very disappointed.
    04-05-12 04:48 AM
    Sadly, in my personal case, since we never managed to get a flawlessly working solution, the client at the end gave up on BlackBerry and just bought some cheap Android phones instead (and the odd iPhone now and then). Another nail in the coffin for RIM.
    04-05-12 07:25 AM
    As this issue is still not solved this really shows how well the RIM support works. I imagine they must have thousands of complaints about that by now. Still no fix. Very disappointed.
    Funny, it is obviously an issue between Google and RIM. Two separate companies. But the clear failure is on RIM's part? Fascinating.

Thousands of other email systems work quite flawlessly with RIM devices, because they use the same standards. It is Google who handles email differently from everyone else.
    04-05-12 04:57 PM
    Funny, it is obviously an issue between Google and RIM. Two separate companies. But the clear failure is on RIM's part? Fascinating.

Thousands of other email systems work quite flawlessly with RIM devices, because they use the same standards. It is Google who handles email differently from everyone else.
    That's certainly true. But they handle "email differently" for 350 million active users worldwide (as of January 2012, according to the Wikipedia). That should make RIM think a bit about not leaving all those users out cold.

While you argument is technically correct Gmail does slightly violate the standards, or at least interpret some steps differently than "thousands of other email systems" numbers count. Remember how Microsoft managed to force companies to also adopt their "interpretations" of some of the standards, just, well, because some 85% or more of all desktops and laptops run Microsoft software.

So, if RIM fails to acknowledge those 350 million active users, and claims (valid!) technical reasons for not acknowledging them, what can those 350 million active users do? Switch to another smartphone provider. All others work well with Google's interpretation of how email should work.

Surely even RIM should recognise that burying their head in the ground and claim their technical superiority is not a good marketing strategy...?

Or perhaps they could at least get in touch with Google and settle their differences in interpretation, if RIM is unwilling to change their software? Either solution would provide the same result: making 350 million users happy with RIM. Surely that's not a bad thing!
    04-06-12 07:04 AM
    I find it really disappointing that RIM has not come up with a resolution on this issue. After seeing many years of post and users investing their own personal time into finding a fix, It seems like RIM would invest its time and resources as well. Shame on you RIM. I came back to blackberry after 2 years with the iphone because I thought I missed it and would be happier with blackberry. Its sad to report i miss my iphone.
    09-13-12 05:52 PM
    So, going from device to GMail is instant, and from GMail to the device is delayed. Yes I can see where RIM is to blame for this. What morons.
    Last edited by MobileMadness002; 09-13-12 at 06:43 PM.
    09-13-12 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD