06-21-11 10:06 AM
143 ... 23456
tools
    Remember when it came out that Facebook hired a PR company to spread security rumors about Google? I wonder who's paying for all this hate against Rim in the media.
    Shareholders. Oh, you meant who's paying the media for all this hate. My bad.
    06-19-11 01:23 PM
    Shareholders. Oh, you meant who's paying the media for all this hate. My bad.
    How come that scandal was so quickly brushed under the carpet7

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-11 01:25 PM
    My point is Rim has an incredibile number of paying active users for such a "dyeing" company, I believe 41% of their revenue(or was it profit?) Came from selling services, BIS, BES, MDS etc

By the way, 300k activated android phones doesn't mean they're all new users. How many android active users are at any time? I know Rim has more then 60 millions.

It doesn't mean they are all new users. But that isn't the point. I am just referencing your numbers.

RIM probably does. I don't think they are dying, I think they are hurting, extremely bad.
    06-19-11 01:34 PM
    How come that scandal was so quickly brushed under the carpet7

It's easy to brush things under the carpet when interest is minimal. If people had really cared, it would still be a story.
    06-19-11 01:37 PM
    Wait... now world governments are involved in a campaign to bring RIM down? Come again?
    06-19-11 02:10 PM
    Wait... now world governments are involved in a campaign to bring RIM down? Come again?
    Well yes, India, Pakistan, UAE etc at some point they all gave Rim ultimatums for being too secure.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-19-11 at 02:18 PM.
    06-19-11 02:12 PM
    Well yes, India, Pakistan, UAE etc at some point they all gave Rim ultimatums for being too secure.

This is totally different than what is going on now. These countries aren't the ones that are putting RIM in a hole, it is RIM themselves.
    06-19-11 02:34 PM
  8. T
    This is totally different than what is going on now. These countries aren't the ones that are putting RIM in a hole, it is RIM themselves.
    Let's not forget the home-grown statists who want to use their UFED devices to look at people's data. May as well get the sheeple all on iPhones and Androids so that it's easy (and possible) to do.
    06-19-11 02:40 PM
    I don't doubt you but this way of navigating rules all professional drivers out and all international drivers, think truck driver in europe.

Have navigated downtown Toronto for 2 years now using nothing more than cell GPS. As a delivery driver running 5 ton straight.Without any problems whatsoever.
    06-19-11 02:46 PM
    My point is Rim has an incredibile number of paying active users for such a "dyeing" company, I believe 41% of their revenue(or was it profit?) Came from selling services, BIS, BES, MDS etc

By the way, 300k activated android phones doesn't mean they're all new users. How many android active users are at any time? I know Rim has more then 60 millions.

Where are you getting that 60 million number from? I just spent about half an hour searching, and all I found that was close was that RIM sold their 50 millionth BB back in 2009 - but that's not 50 million independent users. That's handsets. In my house, we had 2 Pearls, 2 Curves, and a Storm, but that was for 2 people.

Have you got a link that says there are 60 million active independent users?

That goes the same for how many Android devices are activated daily. I don't think that there are 300 000 independent brand new never had an Android before activations. The 300 000 and this 60 million number, I'm pretty sure, are new and replacement handsets. As in 1 user may have purchased 5-6 models over the years and those are reflected in that total.

I don't for one second think there are 300000 or 60 million fresh individual 'virgin user' device activations out there.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-19-11 at 03:13 PM.
    06-19-11 02:56 PM
    Oh well, enough of this claptrap. Gizmodo has some valid points, particularly about co. rporate vision. However, since December I have used Android, and WP7 and find myself going back to my old tried and true Storm. Apps? Think quality and useability over quantity. Sadly though, the Storm has finally packed it in, so I'm heading out to freshen up with a Torch/Playbook update. If the new toys do well in the fall, this is all a moot point. If they do not, RIM is setting themselves up to be the next Plam, since the loyal fan base will follow them wherever.

At least things won't be boring.
    06-19-11 03:02 PM
    In fact I did find an article from last year about last years Q2 earnings call where Jim Balsillie said that RIM will no longer release the number at all.

RIM Won't Disclose How Many BlackBerry Subscribers It Has Anymore

EDIT

And RIM's own fiscal 2011 projection report says 39 million users.

http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...2011rim_ar.pdf
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-19-11 at 03:09 PM.
    06-19-11 03:03 PM
    Have navigated downtown Toronto for 2 years now using nothing more than cell GPS. As a delivery driver running 5 ton straight.Without any problems whatsoever.
    Maybe you don't get phone calls. I use it too sometimes but when a call comes in navigation gets put in the background.
    06-19-11 03:28 PM
    In fact I did find an article from last year about last years Q2 earnings call where Jim Balsillie said that RIM will no longer release the number at all.

RIM Won't Disclose How Many BlackBerry Subscribers It Has Anymore

EDIT

And RIM's own fiscal 2011 projection report says 39 million users.

http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...2011rim_ar.pdf
    A quick search revealed this:

BlackBerry Messenger now has 43 million active users | MY ONLINE

I'll find more for you.
    06-19-11 03:37 PM
    That's not 60 million. You very definitively said you knew RIM had more than 60 million users. Twice.

Source please?
    06-19-11 03:38 PM
    06-19-11 03:42 PM
    Maybe you don't get phone calls. I use it too sometimes but when a call comes in navigation gets put in the background.
    Back button after the call put me back to the map. Exactly where I am.

Only a Dispatcher would expect a driver to drive, deal with a call, write down new pickups and navigate in traffic all at the same time.
    06-19-11 03:44 PM
    That's not 60 million. You very definitively said you knew RIM had more than 60 million users. Twice.

Source please?
    As of January 2011:

BlackBerry no.1 in UK smartphone market 2010 - Pocket-lint

Happy?
    06-19-11 03:48 PM
    Again, you said you knew BB had over 60 million users.

Since you have used that rebuttal twice in this thread alone to prove your point, where did that number come from?

I think I know where it came from, personally, but I also found that 25 million number. I have yet to find anything remotely close to this 60 million user number you provided as known by you. As per RIM's fiscal report 2011 they had SHIPPED a little over 50 million handsets. Handsets don't equal users, and that still isn't the 60 million total you have provided to downplay Android user amounts.

Now, I think the Android user amounts are artificially inflated, so I am not nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking RIM here. I am honestly wondering where this 60 million total came from, that you know is true (by your own words). It was presented as fact to downplay another posters opinion and other platforms, so I am sure you have the evidence to back up the claim...
    06-19-11 03:49 PM
    Again, you said you knew BB had over 60 million users.

Since you have used that rebuttal twice in this thread alone to prove your point, where did that number come from?

I think I know where it came from, personally, but I also found that 25 million number. I have yet to find anything remotely close to this 60 million user number you provided as known by you. As per RIM's fiscal report 2011 they had SHIPPED a little over 50 million handsets. Handsets don't equal users, and that still isn't the 60 million total you have provided to downplay Android user amounts.

Now, I think the Android user amounts are artificially inflated, so I am not nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking RIM here. I am honestly wondering where this 60 million total came from, that you know is true (by your own words). It was presented as fact to downplay another posters opinion and other platforms, so I am sure you have the evidence to back up the claim...
    I cant remember the exact source, probably here on crackberry, but if they had over 55 millions in January and they've been growing since, I think we can agree that they're around 60 millions active users.

Is it so hard to accept? You saw the number of active BBM users too.
    06-19-11 03:54 PM
    No. Because that article doesn't say 60 million users and actually CONTRADICTS RIMS OWN FISCAL REPORTS. It's a report from a market research company. I would tend to side with RIM over a market research company, companies that often present skewed results.

The sales data was provided by business analysts Gfk, and RIM was quick to broadcast the results, along with its own BlackBerry data which stated that:

- It had sold over 129 million BlackBerry smartphones worldwide via more than 580 carriers and distribution partners in over 175 countries.

- BlackBerry Messenger experienced a 500 per cent increase in usage last year and currently has over 33 million users worldwide.

- BlackBerry is the no.1 smartphone for Twitter with 6 Million downloads to date.

- BlackBerry App World now has over 16,000 applications available worldwide to download, which is a 60 per cent growth since Q2 2010.

- There are more than 55 million BlackBerry subscribers.
    Care to explain why RIM's OWN report doesn't say that? Is RIM lying now and not presenting accurate information? Wouldn't you think RIM would present the better looking numbers to their investors instead of what they did provide in their report?
    06-19-11 03:55 PM
    I find the android figures believable by the way, as android users tend to upgrade or change their devices much more often. I'm sure Google could easily provide the figures.
    06-19-11 03:58 PM
    Oh wait, I forgot. Arguing with a brick wall. We've already gone from "definitely over 60 million" to "I know it's over 60 million" to "It's around 55 million" to "well I think I read it on Crackberry and now I'm extrapolating the number to 60 million and I don't actually know it's true or accurate but we all can agree on this made up number I may or may not have read even if it's contradicted by RIM themselves in their fiscal documents because I'm always right."

*head desk*

I never said that the 300 000 daily activations is incorrect. I said that I don't think they are brand new to Android customers, but they lalso represent upgrading by the same user. You said there were over 60 million individual BB users. For all I know, that includes MY BIS email address and my husbands, even though we haven't accessed them in over a year. Still BIS user accounts though, right? Even when they have long been abandoned? Are they counting the registered accounts or the actual ACTIVE registered accounts? It's all a little vague.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-19-11 at 04:05 PM.
    06-19-11 04:01 PM
    RIM doesn't need to come out with new hansets; its designs have already been perfected. If it aint broke (and it's not), don't fix it. I'm glad BlackBerry is not like apple or android.

But they are broke and not selling. Not sure which planet you are from.
    But US sales are dropping like a stone.

Things that are broke or outdated dont sell.

Things that are up to date and work sell.

Simple.

Tim
    06-19-11 04:01 PM
    Oh wait, I forgot. Arguing with a brick wall. We've already gone from "definitely over 60 million" to "I know it's over 60 million" to "It's around 55 million" to "well I think I read it on Crackberry and now I'm extrapolating the number to 60 million and I don't actually know it's true or accurate but we all can agree on this made up number I may or may not have read even if it's contradicted by RIM themselves in their fiscal documents because I'm always right."

*head desk*

I never said that the 300 000 daily activations is incorrect. I said that I don't think they are brand new to Android customers, but they lalso represent upgrading by the same user. You said there were over 60 million individual BB users. For all I know, that includes MY BIS email address and my husbands, even though we haven't accessed them in over a year. Still BIS user accounts though, right? Even when they have long been abandoned? Are they counting the registered accounts or the actual ACTIVE registered accounts? It's all a little vague.

41 millions as of march 2010, do you at least beleive these figures?

http://crackberry.com/rim-announces-...y-and-concierg

And since they've been steadily growing ever since, it's not that hard to do the estimated math and come up with 60 millions, with 4.9 millions NEW subscribers added in a quarter.
    06-19-11 04:07 PM
143 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD