06-21-11 11:06 AM
143 12345 ...
tools
    Turn by turn navigation can be used in a car hands free.

Standalone GPS units are a technology that will probably be dead in 5 years.

Gadgetbox - Five gadgets that will be dead in five years

GPS | 10 Businesses the Smartphone Is Destroying | Comcast.net
    Yeah, wait until a call comes in in the middle of a difficult junction.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-11 03:22 PM
    that article is total garbage. I don't know why i keep wasting my time reading that cr*p.

more pooh floating in the media's toilet bowl....

yawn*

patiently waiting for the 9900 to make us all happy again.

pooh on the media - thats what i say.

06-18-11 05:43 PM
    just to keep a though process flowing, why is anyone even considering that qnx is going to be the savior? you mentioned palm, webOS was that to them, there is a very VERY eerily similarity between these two situations, companies waiting too long, banking on one product and that product turns out to be a flop. sure webOS is cool, but too much was at stake, and people LIKED developing for that.
    Exactly, just because QNX MAY be better doesn't mean better sales i.e. Vhs vs Beta, beta lost but was a better format, HDDVD vs BlueRay, HDDVD was supposedly better but Blue Ray prevailed and isn't selling like hotcakes.

People don't care if it's ABC OS or XYZ OS they just want something that WORKS and is COOL, unfortunately Blackberry is neither right now.

Very frusterating that in 2011 my 9800 can't download an attachment larger then 2.9mb and can't natively open PDF files (Android can) something that a BUSINESS phone SHOULD be capable of. This device was old technology in 2010 when it was released.

I don't believe that QNX is the salvation, once people start using other brands and seeing all the wonderful features/apps it will be VERY tough to woo them back. Look at Windows Phone it is supposedly a really nice OS yet it isnt setting the world ablaze.
    06-18-11 06:54 PM

You do know that there is rule that demands that one must answer the phone during GPS navigation, right? LOL.

I will never, ever have a standalone GPS unit ever again if I ca help it. Standalones have their benefits, but I prefer to carry one device that I can use in multiple cars (carpools), in rentals, and just to walk at Disney land.

Map caching negates the the biggest issue with regards to the occasional lost signal. No state will give you a ticket for using GPS on your phone, unless you're one of those unique people who hold their GPS devices to their ears and interact with it in an animated fashion.

For me, the pros outweigh the cons by far. My Blackberry spoiled me when it came to cell-based GPS, and every device after it has to at least meet that standard.

Back to the thread at hand: RIM can turn it around, and I honestly hope they do.
    06-18-11 10:06 PM
    As an American sometimes I am embarrassed by the stupidity of my fellow countrymen. I do like my BB Torch as a pretty solid media device, strong battery, solid QWERTY keyboard, touch screen, trackpad, and all of its practical uses in messaging and emails.
    I was beginning to think i was the only one who felt this, i love my country but it is so full of idiots, you see it in the way they will stand in lines for products just because the news blew it up, you can see it in the reasons they vote for someone, the way they drive, i could go on all day, yes we are very stupid here. Its a matter of common sense seems to be leaving the country in a hurry. I hope tjis isnt happening in the rest of the world
    06-18-11 11:07 PM
    It is gordo, mania is contagious LOL. But i don't agree with your premise on your countrymen, but your media...now THAT is a different matter!!
    06-18-11 11:15 PM
    It isn't broke. I'm a person, and I want it. I don't want BlackBerry to be anything like iPhone or Android.
    You are in an ever-growing minority.
    06-18-11 11:56 PM
    You are in an ever-growing minority.
    bull crap. You know what? most users don't give a flying **** about all this technical bs that us crackberry addicts read about. Nor do they care about specs and all the other nonsense that the media keeps pooping out. They want a device that works, and still, even with RIMs currently pathetic phone lineup, they are happy with what they have. millions upon millions love their blackberry and will buy another one when its time to renew. RIM will be just fine, so take your negative comments somewhere else.

06-19-11 12:13 AM
    bull crap. You know what? most users don't give a flying **** about all this technical bs that us crackberry addicts read about. Nor do they care about specs and all the other nonsense that the media keeps pooping out. They want a device that works, and still, even with RIMs currently pathetic phone lineup, they are happy with what they have. millions upon millions love their blackberry and will buy another one when its time to renew. RIM will be just fine, so take your negative comments somewhere else.

Haha tell em how u really feel! What he saying is not totally wrong! While I don't think Rim should try to be exactly the same as the other os. Having the speed and be able to use lots of apps and be able to use the phone to the fullest ESP with the 9930 kb would be a win!
    06-19-11 12:21 AM
    Haha tell em how u really feel! What he saying is not totally wrong! While I don't think Rim should try to be exactly the same as the other os. Having the speed and be able to use lots of apps and be able to use the phone to the fullest ESP with the 9930 kb would be a win!
    Hahaha... I'm in a lousy mood tonight, sorry all.

Last edited by 123berryaddicted; 06-19-11 at 01:46 AM.
    06-19-11 12:44 AM
    Just my two cents, but I am sorry. Gizmodo is a joke. Is that statement a fanboi defense of RIM? NO. I actually consider engadget, bgr, and gizmodo to all be a joke of sorts. But that's just me...

I almost disagree with any statement that is based upon "Blackberry needs an OS that will compete with iOS and Android." I'm sorry but that sounds lackluster. As has been mentioned, RIM is aware of resting on their laurels. In fact, I think it's obvious that they've known for a significant amount of time now. I can't imagine a company that would still be oblivious. I honestly think that RIM is doing what they can to get back into the game, and not necessarily compete with the other OSs'. But try to go above and beyond just competing. Will it take time? Yes. But I think the QNX OS is a great start. They want to make those next generation "superphones," but I appreciate that they want to do it right. Introducing something prematurely that doesn't work well would just counter the impact they're going to be hoping for.

RIM needs to get their marketing game together, and they could use some young and fresh faces in the organization to make a splash. I like their increase in social media work, hopefully soon they'll take that effort and integrate more with the devices they're marketing to gain more consumer interaction....when...of course, those damn devices finally come out. But we already know that they really need to pick things up!

My rant=done.
    06-19-11 03:23 AM
    I am amazed at how many people can suddenly see the future and are able to declare so emphatically that RIM is done for. I would assume they are all millionaires since being able to read the future like that surely gives them an advantage.

RIM is in trouble but I would not go and party at its supposed funeral. Those who tout Active Sync forget that there are features in BES that are unmatched. For certain corporations and for secure environments it is a necessity.

Additionally there are consumers who are turned off by the many rumblings dealing with security issues in Android. Not everyone is a fan of an open source platform.

Not everyone is a fan of a million apps either. One colleague has an iP4 and a hundred apps. I asked how many of those he uses - with a sheepish grin he admitted he hadn't even begun using most of them.

Not everyone wants a phone with specs that would rival weapons in DoD's arsenal. Not everyone is interested in a monster of a phone, and having had one, not everyone keeps it. A lot of people just want to get through their day with a minimum of fuss - they want to stay in touch, stay on schedule, and stay connected with the outside world. Business people want to sync seamlessly with their contacts and their calendars. They want adequate notifications and be able to establish meaningful profiles.

I wonder why the necessity for the overwhelming joy at RIM's current troubles. I am reminded of bullies in a playground who would make fun of the kid who wasn't the fastest, wasn't the most popular. I am reminded of the kids who would look down their noses at the kids with bad skin and bad hair who were not the most popular. Surely, we're past that, aren't we? Why does one company's bad financial call give some people such glee?
    Ferretling likes this.
    06-19-11 07:17 AM
    Remember when it came out that Facebook hired a PR company to spread security rumors about Google? I wonder who's paying for all this hate against Rim in the media.

06-19-11 08:24 AM
    Remember when it came out that Facebook hired a PR company to spread security rumors about Google? I wonder who's paying for all this hate against Rim in the media.

Oh yeah...this?
    Facebook Busted in Clumsy Smear Attempt on Google - The Daily Beast

I honestly don't believe there is anything like that happening here. RIM has gotten themselves into this themselves. The only thing I see are overreactions to a negative financial data call.
    06-19-11 08:53 AM
    I much rather us my Garmin than my phone for GPS.
    Better signal, larger size, frees up my phone for calls or whatever else.

I would like to see Google make a stand-alone GPS or merge with Garmin.

2 weeks ago while I was traveling, I was without a signal for my phone for 2 hours whereas my Garmin was still connected.
    With the old version of VZ Nav losing a signal was not a problem. It is however a problem with the new version of VZ Nav.
    06-19-11 09:54 AM

I've been using VZ Nav for years. The number of times this has caused an issue is well, none.
    06-19-11 09:55 AM
    Exactly, just because QNX MAY be better doesn't mean better sales i.e. Vhs vs Beta, beta lost but was a better format, HDDVD vs BlueRay, HDDVD was supposedly better but Blue Ray prevailed and isn't selling like hotcakes.

People don't care if it's ABC OS or XYZ OS they just want something that WORKS and is COOL, unfortunately Blackberry is neither right now.

Very frusterating that in 2011 my 9800 can't download an attachment larger then 2.9mb and can't natively open PDF files (Android can) something that a BUSINESS phone SHOULD be capable of. This device was old technology in 2010 when it was released.

I don't believe that QNX is the salvation, once people start using other brands and seeing all the wonderful features/apps it will be VERY tough to woo them back. Look at Windows Phone it is supposedly a really nice OS yet it isnt setting the world ablaze.
    It's very frustating 2011 I am struggling with my ipad 2 on how to download a pdf of any size, something my storm 2 did out of the box without even breaking a sweat.

My S2 can view PDFs, do you mean you can't edit them?
    06-19-11 09:59 AM
    I've been using VZ Nav for years. The number of times this has caused an issue is well, none.
    I don't doubt you but this way of navigating rules all professional drivers out and all international drivers, think truck driver in europe.

06-19-11 10:03 AM
    I don't doubt you but this way of navigating rules all professional drivers out and all international drivers, think truck driver in europe.

But I'm not in Europe, where I think driving is taken much more seriously. I'm based in the Soprano state.
    Last edited by i7guy; 06-19-11 at 11:24 AM.
    06-19-11 10:08 AM

RIM is in trouble but I would not go and party at its supposed funeral. Those who tout Active Sync forget that there are features in BES that are unmatch

Additionally there are consumers who are turned off by the many rumblings dealing with security issues in Android. Not everyone is a fan of an open source platform.

Not everyone is a fan of a million apps either. One colleague has an iP4 and a hundred apps. I asked how many of those he uses - with a sheepish grin he admitted he hadn't even begun using most of them.

Not everyone wants a phone with specs that would rival weapons in DoD's arsenal. Not everyone is interested in a monster of a phone, and having had one, not everyone keeps it. A lot of people just want to get through their day with a minimum of fuss - they want to stay in touch, stay on schedule, and stay connected with the outside world. Business people want to sync seamlessly with their contacts and their calendars. They want adequate notifications and be able to establish meaningful profiles.
    Obviously not everyone wants an iPhone or Android..but judging by marketshare and trends..I'd say its what MOST people want.

Apps may not be the end all be all..but I can guarantee you they ARE important..and the lack of devs who want to build for RIM and they're (soon to be worse) fragmentation is going to be they're downfall. Its already readily apparent on the PB..
    06-19-11 11:09 AM
    Obviously not everyone wants an iPhone or Android..but judging by marketshare and trends..I'd say its what MOST people want.

Apps may not be the end all be all..but I can guarantee you they ARE important..and the lack of devs who want to build for RIM and they're (soon to be worse) fragmentation is going to be they're downfall. Its already readily apparent on the PB..
    To put it in perspective, it's easy to say most people want iphones or androids, but if you think there's around 60 million active blackberry users, that's more then the population of entire countries if everyone would have a blackberry.

Population of Romania - 20 millions
    Population of Ireland - 6 millions
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-19-11 at 11:57 AM.
    06-19-11 11:33 AM
    ...I wonder why the necessity for the overwhelming joy at RIM's current troubles. I am reminded of bullies in a playground who would make fun of the kid who wasn't the fastest, wasn't the most popular. I am reminded of the kids who would look down their noses at the kids with bad skin and bad hair who were not the most popular. Surely, we're past that, aren't we? Why does one company's bad financial call give some people such glee?
    The Germans have a word for it... "Schadenfreude"

Schadenfreude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people think that the failure of others somehow minimizes their own shortcomings. My guess is that most of the haters on here are struggling in their own personal lives. Sad really
    southlander likes this.
    06-19-11 01:05 PM
  23. T

I wouldn't be surprised if governments were involved. BlackBerry's just a bit too secure for statists, and it would behoove them to sway the sheeple to less secure platforms.
    06-19-11 01:17 PM
    To put it in perspective, it's easy to say most people want iphones or androids, but if you think there's around 60 million active blackberry users, that's more then the population of entire countries if everyone would have a blackberry.

Population of Romania - 20 millions
    Population of Ireland - 6 millions
    What is your point? There are cities in the US that have a larger population than countries.

There are over 300k Android devices activated a day. That would take only 20 days to give everyone in Ireland an Android device. There's perspective.

Incoming "but Android is on a billion devices" comment.
    06-19-11 01:38 PM
    What is your point? There are cities in the US that have a larger population than countries.

There are over 300k Android devices activated a day. That would take only 20 days to give everyone in Ireland an Android device. There's perspective.

Incoming "but Android is on a billion devices" comment.
    My point is Rim has an incredibile number of paying active users for such a "dyeing" company, I believe 41% of their revenue(or was it profit?) Came from selling services, BIS, BES, MDS etc

By the way, 300k activated android phones doesn't mean they're all new users. How many android active users are at any time? I know Rim has more then 60 millions.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-19-11 at 02:11 PM.
    06-19-11 01:58 PM
143 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD