06-21-11 10:06 AM
143 1234 ...
tools
    Speed dial from anyscrean is hardly usefull in a main feature set. Sorry, just my opinion. I am with Williams, personally I find appworld laughable concidering BB is a smarhonr and could always install apps on it. From blackberrys start it could download and install apps and iPhone could do so only after a year of its release and look at the difference. Quality and quantity is so much better on apple devices. Just because there is more quantity, it does not mean the quality diminishes.
    I find blackberry store lacking both really. Full of junk, that's expensive and poorly made. Just depressing really.
    06-17-11 06:08 PM
    just to keep a though process flowing, why is anyone even considering that qnx is going to be the savior? you mentioned palm, webOS was that to them, there is a very VERY eerily similarity between these two situations, companies waiting too long, banking on one product and that product turns out to be a flop. sure webOS is cool, but too much was at stake, and people LIKED developing for that. QNX is even less proven, the development process is a nightmare for it. of course no one knows the future, but considering the amount of marketshare blackberry has already lost, and the fact that these devices are nowhere really on the close horizon, where will RIM be by the time qnx handsets come to fruition? honestly. is QNX going to draw people back? well they'd have to have a platform with a TON of apps and not a catchup scenario, which is what they do have, it's catchup, i was willing to believe qnx would save the day until RIM stunted it entirely by making developing for it a bad dream. you can play the situation out in your head that RIM survives long enough to actually put out a qnx handset if you like, and it could very well happen, but are the people that are left by that time going to be enough to keep it alive? is anyone going to jump ship again and go back to BB? possibly, but that would take years, look at android, it appeared to be a total lost cause for the first year until it evolved a community resource for development. it'll take rim years to get anyone who left to come back and at the rate android is growing, i think their numbers will be sorely depleted by then.
    I think you underestimate BlackBerry's allure in the corporate world and as such will always have a decent following. The thing with QNX is that it is all good and well having phones with superior hardware but BlackBerry 7 isn't exactly going to take advantage of that and that is where QNX comes in, along with RIM's proven security track record. Therein lies the reason that they are waiting for dual core cpu's and in the end all it takes is one really good device to really get the ball rolling again.

I don't have much faith in the upcoming OS 7 because it is really no different to what we currently have... Guess we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

I agree however, that they really should release some new devices and really fast to at the very least attempt to recover some of the lost market share.
    06-17-11 07:35 PM
    First off, you guys are delusional if you think typing on an iPhone compares to any decent QWERTY keyboard. iPhone types well for a touch screen only device, sort of like being the best looking nun in the convent.

I can type much faster, with far less errors on a QWERTY keyboard, BB or otherwise. Ditto for any laptop/netbook over any tablet.

Next, I never found any appeal in watching Netflix on a smartphone whether it was a 1 inch screen or a 4 inch screen. Movies are not made to be watched that way, you lose a lot in the artistry, cinematography, direction, etc. But its more of "Look at what my iPhone can do!" Not practical, but many American smartphone consumers are completely illogical.

RIM has their work cut out for them, bc I think the American consumer is obsessed with countless useless apps whether its to watch movies on 3 inch screens, make fart noises, play Arnold Schwarzenegger quotes, or play games far inferior to anything on the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP.

As an American sometimes I am embarrassed by the stupidity of my fellow countrymen. I do like my BB Torch as a pretty solid media device, strong battery, solid QWERTY keyboard, touch screen, trackpad, and all of its practical uses in messaging and emails.
    06-17-11 07:58 PM
    I could type fairly quickly on my old Bold but I feel like I am just as fast on my iPhone. It just takes time. It is much less effort to lightly tap a screen than to press physical keys.

When I am on a plane travelling at least 2 hours, I always rent movies to watch to pass the time. Sure, it is better on a bigger screen but it does the job.

I don't have any fart apps but I do play games on it (Tiger Woods, Angry Birds, Dead Space). The graphics are unreal and the games are fun to play. Yes, games are better on a console but you can't carry one of those with you.

Most BB users that I talk to only have a BB because their work gives them one. It's not their choice. Some of them actually have a personal iPhone or Android device so they can join the rest of us.

I was a huge BB fan 2 years ago and thought I had the best device out there. Then my wife got an iPhone. I was hooked.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-17-11 08:26 PM
    I think you underestimate BlackBerry's allure in the corporate world and as such will always have a decent following. The thing with QNX is that it is all good and well having phones with superior hardware but BlackBerry 7 isn't exactly going to take advantage of that and that is where QNX comes in, along with RIM's proven security track record. Therein lies the reason that they are waiting for dual core cpu's and in the end all it takes is one really good device to really get the ball rolling again.

I don't have much faith in the upcoming OS 7 because it is really no different to what we currently have... Guess we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

I agree however, that they really should release some new devices and really fast to at the very least attempt to recover some of the lost market share.
    i don't doubt enterprise as an allure, but i'm rather familiar with this field, and there's already plenty of scenarios being played out in a lot of big companies who are more than ready to dump enterprise for exchange/active sync, there doesn't seem to be any benefit anymore for exchange, and newer devices are proving to be just as if not more reliable. so grasping to exchange isn't really the go to move here, RIM's dominoes are falling because of consumer demand, not corporate.
    06-17-11 08:53 PM
    First off, you guys are delusional if you think typing on an iPhone compares to any decent QWERTY keyboard. iPhone types well for a touch screen only device, sort of like being the best looking nun in the convent.

I can type much faster, with far less errors on a QWERTY keyboard, BB or otherwise. Ditto for any laptop/netbook over any tablet.

Next, I never found any appeal in watching Netflix on a smartphone whether it was a 1 inch screen or a 4 inch screen. Movies are not made to be watched that way, you lose a lot in the artistry, cinematography, direction, etc. But its more of "Look at what my iPhone can do!" Not practical, but many American smartphone consumers are completely illogical.

RIM has their work cut out for them, bc I think the American consumer is obsessed with countless useless apps whether its to watch movies on 3 inch screens, make fart noises, play Arnold Schwarzenegger quotes, or play games far inferior to anything on the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP.

As an American sometimes I am embarrassed by the stupidity of my fellow countrymen. I do like my BB Torch as a pretty solid media device, strong battery, solid QWERTY keyboard, touch screen, trackpad, and all of its practical uses in messaging and emails.
    took me a while, but i can now type faster on an android phone touch screen than i ever could with a blackberry, text prediction and swyping as well as error correction are simply superior, whenever i'd post on forums when i had a blackberry i'd sit at the computer because the whole process felt slow doing on the phone, this is now easily done on my phone.
    Last edited by katiepea; 06-17-11 at 08:58 PM.
    06-17-11 08:54 PM
    I have to say, touchscreen typing is faster. Your doing it wrong jthep :P
    06-17-11 09:24 PM

I agree on the keyboard and even like the associated UI. BIS I hate and I am not impressed with BB OS as an application platform.
    06-17-11 09:31 PM
    This is why RIM is going downhill right now. The leaders seem to have the same exact attitude.
    Agreed...

I mean no one will buy a 1980 Pinto in 2011 because it has a Jet engine in it... The first thing they will say, " Wow that car looks old as ****"

The Bold 9900 looking identical to the Bold 9000 from 2007 is sad.
    06-17-11 11:46 PM
    When did everyone and their mother become business experts?

If you know how to save RIM, why arent you running your own multi million/billion dollar company?

Yes i love blackberry, no i am not a blind follower. My phone/tablet has flaws, but guess what, so does apple and android.

i dont understand why people are so obsessed with the specs of their phones either. go back to your first cellphone, it did everything you wanted it too. why do todays cellphones need to be able to run everything all at once? do you really need 2 ghz processor in your phone? do you even utilize the full potential of your current phone? i know i dont, same with my playbook and even my computer

in the end its just a phone, if your not happy about it then switch. simple as that.

typed on my playbook
    06-18-11 02:22 AM
    When did everyone and their mother become business experts?

If you know how to save RIM, why arent you running your own multi million/billion dollar company?

Yes i love blackberry, no i am not a blind follower. My phone/tablet has flaws, but guess what, so does apple and android.

i dont understand why people are so obsessed with the specs of their phones either. go back to your first cellphone, it did everything you wanted it too. why do todays cellphones need to be able to run everything all at once? do you really need 2 ghz processor in your phone? do you even utilize the full potential of your current phone? i know i dont, same with my playbook and even my computer

in the end its just a phone, if your not happy about it then switch. simple as that.

typed on my playbook
    You make a valid point but that is partly the reason why RIM are up **** creek... Consumers are not going to pay today's money for yesterday's technology! While the Android devices as well as the iPhone were increasing their specs and built in storage space the Blackberry's remained stagnant. Where are the 32/64 GB BlackBerry smartphones?

For me 2 GB is more than enough but for many, who I suppose are the vast majority, 64 GB is not enough because they are not merely smartphones any longer they are perceived to be media powerhouses.

Also typed using my PlayBook.
    06-18-11 03:41 AM
    Blackberry phones have been behind the times in tech specs for awhile now. My current phone, the Torch, when it launched has a slower processor, lower screen resolution, only 4Gig SD card.

Keep in mind it released shortly after the iPhone 4. It came with a 5MP camera, which is still sort of standard, but many Android phones then and now 8MP has become fairly common.

But I am a more practical person. The specs is not what attracted me to the Torch. It was the form factor of a QWERTY keyboard, touchscreen, trackpad all combined into one device along with the BB OS, which is what I used in my last phone, a Curve 8320, but OS6 was a slight improvement there.

Now the Bold touch is launching with comparable specs to phones out there right now with 8G SD card, but I think they are still going with 5MP camera. New OS7, which is a slight upgrade over OS6. Not anything earth shattering where it will convert brainwashed iPhone users or the ever growing Android users.

I think RIM needs to market their new devices better and add features to differentiate themselves. Apple is copying BBM, some Android phones have good QWERTY keyboards. RIM needs a new feature for people to say "I want the Blackberry because it has..."
    06-18-11 07:01 AM
    Blackberry phones have been behind the times in tech specs for awhile now. My current phone, the Torch, when it launched has a slower processor, lower screen resolution, only 4Gig SD card.

Keep in mind it released shortly after the iPhone 4. It came with a 5MP camera, which is still sort of standard, but many Android phones then and now 8MP has become fairly common.

But I am a more practical person. The specs is not what attracted me to the Torch. It was the form factor of a QWERTY keyboard, touchscreen, trackpad all combined into one device along with the BB OS, which is what I used in my last phone, a Curve 8320, but OS6 was a slight improvement there.

Now the Bold touch is launching with comparable specs to phones out there right now with 8G SD card, but I think they are still going with 5MP camera. New OS7, which is a slight upgrade over OS6. Not anything earth shattering where it will convert brainwashed iPhone users or the ever growing Android users.

I think RIM needs to market their new devices better and add features to differentiate themselves. Apple is copying BBM, some Android phones have good QWERTY keyboards. RIM needs a new feature for people to say "I want the Blackberry because it has..."
    Spot on. Let's see what the QNX phones throw up... BlackBerry's need a new UI and RIM have all the tools in place to make this work. TAT, QNX, Adobe and it is rumoured that You-i are also onboard. Also they need one great touch screen device (thats where the consumer market is) and apps that run natively and not through an emulator.

I will personally be skipping OS 7... My 9700 will see me through. Have to admit though that the 9700 is a juggernaut and RIM will do well to keep this form factor going forward.
    06-18-11 07:27 AM
    They do need a touch screen device, but not while abandoning why so many people still luv their phones, their great QWERTY keyboards.

Thats why I think the Torch is such a great phone in its form factor. But less than stellar sales have RIM reconsidering that design probably. I think it received lukewarm reception was it was marketed to be an "iPhone killer" while having clearly inferior tech specs overall.

I know I am not buying a phone based on a 3'' screen's resolution, but Apple was great at marketing the iPhone4 despite its problems, into the best selling phone ever.

The designs to the Bold 9900 coming soon and the Torch 9800 is where RIM should look to to design their Blackberries from now on. Both have touch screens and keyboards, so it keeps the longtime BB fans happy with QWERTY keyboards while appealing to users of iPhones or Android phones with nice touch screens too.

Give up on the Storm altogether. Ask yourself, why go with the Storm form factor when clearly the iPhone and most touch only Android phones do it better?
    06-18-11 08:49 AM
    Yeah I agree with this article. RIM has maybe 12 months. If they don't perform then the street will punish them and RIM will cease to exist as we know it. I am hoping investors give them enough time to bring QNX to the phones. With the recent waterfall decline of the stock price we may never see QNX on a smartphone.

Apple builds one device perfect for the masses. Yes it has had challenges, but operates fairly well. RIM tries to be too many things to too many people and is not focused.

Their time is very limited. I will be going down with the ship though if it sinks.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 06-18-11 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo
    06-18-11 09:13 AM
    Yikes. This is only the beginning of the end for RIM. People have been saying it for years, but these die hard Blackberry fans wouldn't believe it. It is 2011, RIM. Numbers don't lie. Sad, but true. Once Apple and Android start focusing on security and e-mail for their devices then its OVER for RIM. Apple is taking apart RIM, starting with BBM. Next up, security.

Oh, how times have changed. Used to be get able to get a Blackberry device for $.99, now you can get an Android device for the same plus better functionality.
    06-18-11 09:23 AM
    The Torch is a decent comprimise between physical keyboard and touchscreen and the touchscreen is a vast improvement over the Storm. A co-worker had one and I tried it out. My biggest problem with it is that it feels so cheap. The screen feels like it is going to break off when you slide it up and it wiggles around.

Like the previous poster said, RIM touted the Torch as the iPhone killer. Give me a break. If RIM thinks that then they really need a wake up call.

They need to concentrate on quality and what consumers want. Consumers want a device that does it all and is eady to use.
    06-18-11 09:27 AM
    They do need a touch screen device, but not while abandoning why so many people still luv their phones, their great QWERTY keyboards.

Thats why I think the Torch is such a great phone in its form factor. But less than stellar sales have RIM reconsidering that design probably. I think it received lukewarm reception was it was marketed to be an "iPhone killer" while having clearly inferior tech specs overall.

I know I am not buying a phone based on a 3'' screen's resolution, but Apple was great at marketing the iPhone4 despite its problems, into the best selling phone ever.

The designs to the Bold 9900 coming soon and the Torch 9800 is where RIM should look to to design their Blackberries from now on. Both have touch screens and keyboards, so it keeps the longtime BB fans happy with QWERTY keyboards while appealing to users of iPhones or Android phones with nice touch screens too.

Give up on the Storm altogether. Ask yourself, why go with the Storm form factor when clearly the iPhone and most touch only Android phones do it better?
    That not going to help them much if they give up on the slab factor. The issue with the Storm 1 was a prototype that was released to the market and sure type was not a succeses. They need to release a solid slab phone to intice customers that wanted that form factor. To me they should look at droppig the style or the pearl form factor. How many keyboard models do they need? Also how well is the pearl and style selling any way. I am sure if they drop those two models a lot of those users will switched to the curve.

But the mot important thing for rim is to stop bending over backwards to carriers. RIM should make devices that they think people want and not want carrieers think will sell.

This message is approved by my transformer
    06-18-11 09:30 AM
    That not going to help them much if they give up on the slab factor. The issue with the Storm 1 was a prototype that was released to the market and sure type was not a succeses. They need to release a solid slab phone to intice customers that wanted that form factor. To me they should look at droppig the style or the pearl form factor. How many keyboard models do they need? Also how well is the pearl and style selling any way. I am sure if they drop those two models a lot of those users will switched to the curve.

But the mot important thing for rim is to stop bending over backwards to carriers. RIM should make devices that they think people want and not want carrieers think will sell.

This message is approved by my transformer
    The storm 1 they released was actually far from it. I had a prototype. And the actuly worked hard on this. The prototype had a lighter glass on the screen which actually felt great tot type on, but everything washed out everytime you pressed it. By that it was actually a lot lighter. I don't remember everything as that was years ago, but Storm 1 was their hard work
    06-18-11 10:46 AM
    RIM should give up on the Storm entirely. Do they think they are going to convince iPhone users to switch to a similar designed phone with far less apps?

RIM phones must have physical keyboards, but also I think they must also have touch screens. Revamp the Torch, best designed form factor I have seen in a phone so far.

Despite what some posters write on here, I never felt like it seemed "cheap". I mean I wouldn't play tug-of-war with the slide out keyboard, or spike the phone on the floor, or throw it in the ocean to see if it breaks, but it feels sturdy as a smartphone can come without intentionally trying to break it...
    06-18-11 11:52 AM
    What do I think of this? Well...

2. Gizmodo seems to want to have their cake and eat it too. Oh, yeah, the Bold 9900 will have a touchscreen! And it ewill have OS7! (Which is only marginally better than OS6, they said, so big deal, right? But then they complain that it has the same handset RIM has had for the past 5 years. Now, even I know that RIM has modified their handsets over the past fife years. But yes, it is basically the same. So what? By that logic, Apple is in trouble because it has released the same handset for its entire existence.

4. Quantity does not equaly quality. The people at Gizmodo must be shopping in a different store, because I have no problem finding quality apps that do what I need or want them to do. Okay, sure, I don't have Sushi Cat, but other than that, what is the big deal?
    As an avid Android and BB user I will comment on few of these.
    2) Yes it will have a touch screen but it will be small. Yes there are some minor changes to the devices RIM released as well as apple. But the difference is under the hood. Rim went from 4 cylinders with new air filter wile Apple took the 4cylinders and added a Turbo

4) Sushi cat please. Yes the quality of apps on android blows away BB apps.
    Show me an app on BB that Android cant match for speed, function and user friendly.

You may find programs and yes it does what it does but not as well as it could.
    Few examples and there are hundreds I could name in this category.

I use check register all the time.
    On my Android app store, I have over 20 that is free with no adds.
    It is faster, free, pass word protected, easier to maneuver.
    On my BB I bought 2 and they look like the programs from the 80s. They have no password; I need to click through 4 menus before getting to my register, but yes it does what is supposed to do.

Another one is Maps and navigation.
    Google/ BB maps, Telenav etc.. on the BB is just plain sad.
    Again yes it shows the map and eventually gets what you need.

Now go see what Android did with the FREE navigation and Google maps. - Text to voice with turn by turn, 3D maps street view and the GPS that is extremely fast.

Again, I love my Android and its my daily driver but I also have a place for BB for the sheer looks of the device.
    06-18-11 12:50 PM
    I dunno, I bought a GPS for my car like 4 years ago, works fine. I am not sure if GPS is really a selling point for smartphones. Especially since many states have adopted laws that give you tickets for using your phone while driving.

My biggest complaints with Android phones are the weak battery life, I really can't make it through a day without worrying about it dying on me. Also the constant updates that change things on the phone, some see this as a blessing, its a bit of an annoyance.

Android phones can do a lot of great things, but I will stick to my Torch 9800...
    06-18-11 01:17 PM
    I dunno, I bought a GPS for my car like 4 years ago, works fine. I am not sure if GPS is really a selling point for smartphones. Especially since many states have adopted laws that give you tickets for using your phone while driving.

My biggest complaints with Android phones are the weak battery life, I really can't make it through a day without worrying about it dying on me. Also the constant updates that change things on the phone, some see this as a blessing, its a bit of an annoyance.

Android phones can do a lot of great things, but I will stick to my Torch 9800...
    06-18-11 01:18 PM
    Turn by turn navigation can be used in a car hands free.

Standalone GPS units are a technology that will probably be dead in 5 years.

Gadgetbox - Five gadgets that will be dead in five years

GPS | 10 Businesses the Smartphone Is Destroying | Comcast.net
    06-18-11 01:35 PM
    Turn by turn navigation can be used in a car hands free.

Standalone GPS units are a technology that will probably be dead in 5 years.

Gadgetbox - Five gadgets that will be dead in five years

GPS | 10 Businesses the Smartphone Is Destroying | Comcast.net
    I much rather us my Garmin than my phone for GPS.
    Better signal, larger size, frees up my phone for calls or whatever else.

I would like to see Google make a stand-alone GPS or merge with Garmin.

2 weeks ago while I was traveling, I was without a signal for my phone for 2 hours whereas my Garmin was still connected.
    Last edited by Nitsuj85; 06-18-11 at 01:55 PM.
    06-18-11 01:53 PM
143 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD