Hey guys, I have a 2 gig data plan, but no texting plan, so are there any apps that would let me text for free?

01-17-11 08:44 PM
    BBM will let you text BB users, Google Voice will let you text over data.
    01-17-11 09:42 PM
    Does BBM charge money for texts? Or does it use data?
    01-17-11 09:52 PM
    BBM is data, but its only for other blackberry users. Google voice uses data and can be used cross-platform.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 09:59 PM
    And when all else fails, you can message via Facebook... Assuming that you're on it, I would imagine all your real friend are also FB "friends"

I personally would just add texting, if even the minimal amount, because if someone texts you then you will be charged for it. Incoming and outgoing texts are charged @ whatever rate per it may be... But I'm unaware of your situation, and rightfully so, so maybe instant messaging with some Google Voice will meet your needs.

01-17-11 10:06 PM
    Alright, thanks. I just upgraded to the Torch from an iPhone because I think it's much easier to type with the physical keyboard, and I didn't really use the multimedia/application aspects of the iPhone, so it wasn't really for me. Back on the iPhone though, I got free texts using an app, and it only used my data usage, so there was no need to get another texting plan on top of the data plan. But I will try out Google voice and BBM (but the problem is that only a few of my friends have Blackberrys, most are using Android/Apple devices.
    01-18-11 08:27 AM
    You could try whatsapp messenger. That's a cross platform messaging app that uses data instead of sms

01-18-11 09:26 AM
    All the native IM clients use data, google, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook & ICQ.

I'm going to move this thread to Native Apps
    01-18-11 09:40 AM