Forbes: Is Blackberry Just In A Jam Or Is It Toast?

Pretty damming comment from Forbes/Todd Ganos.

It sounds like he's an analyst writing for Forbes...
    03-25-11 06:18 PM
    Here's the link to the actual article:
    Is Blackberry Just In A Jam Or Is It Toast?

I think it's the toast, and the jam.
    03-25-11 06:20 PM
    Jam and toast does taste pretty good but all in all I think RIM is pulling a Microsoft right now. They coasted on their success too much, missed the boat and are now swimming to their destination. It will take them longer but they'll eventually catch up and if the management is good (questionable) they'll stay up.
    03-25-11 06:22 PM
    Yeah, I saw it coming when the Torch launched but what REALLY worries me is QNX.

It sounds like the phone version is still far from completion and the current OS is beyond outdated.

I actually thought Microsoft was going to BUY RIMM for a moment there...

(before Nokia)
    03-25-11 06:26 PM
    for those that prefer not to click

Friday, maker of Blackberry mobile devices – Research In Motion (RIMM) – disappointed analysts and investors with earnings and widening full-year guidance. The question is whether RIMM is just in a short-term jam or are they “toast”?

For some time, Research in Motion’s earnings reports have been manic-depressive. Midway through today’s trading session, RIMM was down about 11 percent. We’ve seen this before and we’ve seen the converse before as well. What does this mean? The likely explanation is uncertainty.

Blackberry devices were the unquestioned dominant player in the corporate smart-phone space. I myself have been a Blackberry user for the past several years. But, as technology has evolved, it seems that Research in Motion has been slow to adapt. While certain third-party applications have been available on the Blackberry platform, the broader “app” concept seems to have caught RIMM flatfooted.

With the success of Apple’s iPhone, but perhaps really more due to the emergence of smart-phones based on Google’s Android operating system, the share of Blackberry-based smart-phones is declining. We believe that as technology evolves, the declining price of application-rich smart-phones will make them a viable replacement to ordinary cell phones. And, if application-rich smart-phones become the standard, where does this leave RIMM other than in catch-up mode? Will the Blackberry OS go the route of the Palm OS? No one knows but the cards seem stacked against RIMM. We see RIMM as an underperformer in the sector.

As a matter of disclosure, my firm and its clients have neither long positions nor short positions in RIMM.
    03-25-11 06:33 PM
    Wow the same re-hashed garbage thats been out for the past while. Hence its a blog not an actual article which means nothing. OMG they didnt meet the speculated profit of some guestimators boo-frickin-hoo. I guess for RIM to get some love they have to put out a new buggy "superphone" each week that looks like the same phone that came out the week before.
    03-25-11 06:37 PM
    Sometimes we need to not listen to media, blog, etc..... Just my .02
    03-25-11 06:58 PM
    Sometimes we need to not listen to media, blog, etc..... Just my .02
    I'm the biggest RIM fan there is. I've worked for them. I own stock. I know the people who sell them through the chanel, make them and those who manage all of them. I am so impressed with them as an organization but...I'm getting frusturated that they're not able to put out something competitive in the North American consumer market and I guess that what disappoints me the most was Jim B saying there is nothing new on the horizon until Q2 and no QNX until calendar 2012. Does anyone else think we've moved too slowly and missed or are missing a huge opportunty? Does anyone else think calendar 2012 is a lifetime away in how quick these cycles are moving?

Just venting and frusturated at the huge amount of lost confidence on the street and knowing we're better than where we are today. My point I guess is that there shouldn't need to be a gap, refresh, down cycle. North America should have better and Android and iOS didn't sneak up on us. PlayBook should have companion BB's right out of the gate running QNX. Really impress some people. Show them the future don't just talk of it.

Ok enough venting. How about this? Why not be the platform that offers the best of everything. Hijack it all (run Android, and iOS apps) plus build your own native stuff. Why not allow the PlayBook at launch to "bridge" with iOS and Android handhelds too but have BBM and BlackBerry contact manager etc preloaded to draw Apple and Android users to at least have a look and open the market up. Make it appeal more to users on other platforms especially while its only out in wifi.

Hopefully we move quicker and stop some of this bleeding or maybe I'm over reacting....someone reasure me ahhhhh!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 12:13 AM
    I'm the biggest RIM fan there is. I've worked for them. I own stock. I know the people who sell them through the chanel, make them and those who manage all of them. I am so impressed with them as an organization but...I'm getting frusturated that they're not able to put out something competitive in the North American consumer market and I guess that what disappoints me the most was Jim B saying there is nothing new on the horizon until Q2 and no QNX until calendar 2012. Does anyone else think we've moved too slowly and missed or are missing a huge opportunty? Does anyone else think calendar 2012 is a lifetime away in how quick these cycles are moving?

Just venting and frusturated at the huge amount of lost confidence on the street and knowing we're better than where we are today. My point I guess is that there shouldn't need to be a gap, refresh, down cycle. North America should have better and Android and iOS didn't sneak up on us. PlayBook should have companion BB's right out of the gate running QNX. Really impress some people. Show them the future don't just talk of it.

Ok enough venting. How about this? Why not be the platform that offers the best of everything. Hijack it all (run Android, and iOS apps) plus build your own native stuff. Why not allow the PlayBook at launch to "bridge" with iOS and Android handhelds too but have BBM and BlackBerry contact manager etc preloaded to draw Apple and Android users to at least have a look and open the market up. Make it appeal more to users on other platforms especially while its only out in wifi.

Hopefully we move quicker and stop some of this bleeding or maybe I'm over reacting....someone reasure me ahhhhh!

The key statement in there is, "The likely explanation is uncertainty." Investors simply hate uncertainty, almost more than they hate negative news. Stocks react positively only when something is a 100% lock for success. Nothing is 100% until it's already happened, which is why you only see stock prices skyrocket after the reporting of a hugely successful quarter in conjunction with solid, justifiable guidance that that success will continue. The few who are lucky enough or smart enough or both to jump on a company based on speculation before it actually becomes a growth machine are the ones who clean up (i.e., a significantly higher risk, but with significantly higher rewards). Everybody else just jumps on the bandwagon after the fact. Because more people want a quick return on their investment but are not willing to take the risk, we see these insane trends of stocks spiraling up or down in huge swings over a short timeframe.

Case in point, RIM yesterday. What magic bullet people were expecting to hear in the earnings call I do not know. Nothing changed between Thursday and Friday other than RIM's own guidance for the next quarter and the next year. Why any of it came as a shock to anyone that would justify that stock drop defies logic. But the fact is, investors saw several elements in Thursday's earnings call that read 'uncertainty' for the foreseeable future:

1 - Next quarter's profits would be below expectations. They never like to hear that, even if it's because the company is setting up for future growth. The expectation is that setting up for future growth should be part of business-as-usual; i.e., it should not require unusual and extraordinary outlays of resources that will result in a hit to an otherwise consistent growth trend. Positioning for future growth should be baked into the business plan all along.
    2 - Part of expected revenues for the coming year depend on the success of the PlayBook. Because everyone is so enamored of Apple and Android, and because the PlayBook is still a few weeks from release, the simple fact is that no one knows how well the PlayBook will sell. The belief is that the market will be oversaturated this year with more tablets than will be purchased, and the only proven success so far is the iPad; so the success of the PlayBook is anything but a guarantee, which equals uncertainty.
    3 - New devices and OS6.1 are being perceived as too little too late, and won't be enough to revive falling market share in the US. They will undoubtedly improve the product line and will likely stem some of the bleeding. But again, Apple and Android have demonstrated what they can do in the market and their growth is showing no signs of subsiding, while the impact of new devices and an 'overhauled' OS from RIM is still a big unknown.

This is all from a purely financial and economic perspective; personally I am still a big fan of the company and its products, and I feel positive about the steps they are taking to improve their position. But I'm just a customer with relatively simple needs. I think the real issue for RIM is that strategic miscalculations from a few years ago are now coming around to bite them in the a$$ hard, at least from a stock price perspective. I firmly believe that they've already taken the appropriate corrective action that should manifest itself later this year and early next year. But they should have reacted a year sooner so that they'd be reaping the benefits now. Or better yet, they should not have had to react at all -- their business plan should have foreseen potential threats and had steps already in place to counter them. That's what CEO's are supposed to get those astronomical paychecks for. A true market leader sets the course for the rest of the market to follow; for a time that was RIM. But right now, that's Apple, and that's why they're currently the highest-valued tech company on the planet.

What does all that mean for what my next cell phone will be? Not a damn thing.
    03-26-11 07:54 AM
    Wow the same re-hashed garbage thats been out for the past while. I guess for RIM to get some love they have to put out a new buggy "superphone" each week that looks like the same phone that came out the week before.
    Well..they don't but out a new phone each week..but they still drop a newer version of the same "buggy" phone from the previous year..they're just not fast enough to get one out bi-annually let alone weekly

Everyone's getting sick and tired of all these "bloggers" and media outlets bashing on RIM..but have you ever asked yourself "Why?". RIM's been promising to change, telling everyone good things are on the horizon..trying to get people excited for "the future" for a while now. Yet they consistantly sit back and seem to be 2 steps behind everyone else. No media hype, no advertising, nothing (except for BBM??) Look at the Playbook. STILL no big media announcement about this thing to get the general consumer and non-fanboi aware of this thing. We're 2 weeks out from a potential launch of the product and 90% of the people are unaware RIM has anything coming unless you were lucky enough to attend one of their "cool" midnight parties at some club with some dj spinning some beats. There's no one to blame for their lack of "media savy" other than RIM itself. Perhaps they feel they don't need to do that stuff because hey..they're RIM.

If QNX really does prove to be a game changer..then there is nothing to worry about..simply because RIM has the funds to float thru until they release it. Motorola was on the brink..and they came back (somewhat). I don't fear that RIM is going to go anywhere financially..but as far as mind share and public perception..they've got a big mountain to climb.
    03-26-11 08:28 AM
    Everyone's getting sick and tired of all these "bloggers" and media outlets bashing on RIM..but have you ever asked yourself "Why?". RIM's been promising to change, telling everyone good things are on the horizon..trying to get people excited for "the future" for a while now. Yet they consistantly sit back and seem to be 2 steps behind everyone else. No media hype, no advertising, nothing (except for BBM??) Look at the Playbook. STILL no big media announcement about this thing to get the general consumer and non-fanboi aware of this thing. We're 2 weeks out from a potential launch of the product and 90% of the people are unaware RIM has anything coming unless you were lucky enough to attend one of their "cool" midnight parties at some club with some dj spinning some beats. There's no one to blame for their lack of "media savy" other than RIM itself. Perhaps they feel they don't need to do that stuff because hey..they're RIM.

If QNX really does prove to be a game changer..then there is nothing to worry about..simply because RIM has the funds to float thru until they release it. Motorola was on the brink..and they came back (somewhat). I don't fear that RIM is going to go anywhere financially..but as far as mind share and public perception..they've got a big mountain to climb.
    That's an excellent point, and it worked when their primary customers were business and consumer adoption kind of cascaded from there. But if they don't get over themselves and realize that just being RIM isn't cutting it these days, all the technology and OS upgrades in the world won't help their cause.

As for QNX, I think a lot of its hope lies in the success of the PlayBook. If it turns out to be all that it's cracked up to be, and RIM gets the word out early that this technology is earmarked for the next generation of phones, that will do a lot to catch people's attention.

Regardless of the current sentiment on Wall Street, I still think Apple and the monumental growth of Android are going to cool off soon. The smart phone market is growing, but that growth is not infinite. They'll still be the darlings of the tech world -- and deservedly so -- and people will still buy those devices by the millions, but the quarters of gobbling up market share by the double-digits won't be around for long. RIM needs to be ready to make a strong push as that trend starts to subside. I'm hopeful that the next round of 6.1 phones will be the first small step in that direction, and that QNX will be the next big step back toward market leadership.
    03-26-11 09:31 AM
    There's a reason almost every major business website is claiming the end for RIM is near.
    03-26-11 09:57 PM
    That's what happens when all the websites is regurgitate the same junk.

03-26-11 10:22 PM
    There's a reason almost every major business website is claiming the end for RIM is near.
    Every "major business website" is claiming the end is near?? Really? Which ones are saying the end is near?

"In a note to investors on Friday, RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky attempts to put Research In Motion’s fourth-quarter earnings and first-quarter guidance in perspective. RIM reported its fourth-quarter and full-year earnings after the bell on Thursday and shares of RIM stock subsequently plummeted by as much as 12% in after hours trading. Most of the concern seemed to surround RIM’s guidance for the first-quarter of its 2012 fiscal year. Abramsky points out that while investors may be concerned by RIM’s guidance, it likely reflects product transitions rather than intensifying competition. He notes that new product launches and future support for Android applications will help restore confidence in RIM moving forward. While RBC does identify several possible barrier such as a general decline in technology valuations, unknown market acceptance of new products and declining average selling prices of BlackBerry smartphones, the firm reiterates its $90 price target for RIM stock."

RBC calls RIM earnings a ‘tale of two cities’ | BGR
    jebulls likes this.
    03-26-11 10:22 PM
    Yes please explain!
    03-26-11 10:26 PM
    The end is indeed near............

Of anything we thought was limited as far as mobile computing! Go RIM/QNX....woohoo!

jebulls likes this.
    03-26-11 10:38 PM
    They are clueless idiots jumping on a bandwagon? Don't forget these are the same idiots who didn't spot that whole global recession thing either.
    03-27-11 05:13 AM
    Don't forget these are the same idiots who didn't spot that whole global recession thing either.
    ^^^ Word!
    03-27-11 10:29 AM
    I don't know what your deal is and why you want RIM to end but RIM is not going anywhere lol!! So that's cool you don't like RIM, but give it a rest man.
    03-27-11 10:38 AM
    Yes please explain!
    Yes, I would like an explanation also. But from reading his other posts he obviously has no idea what he is talking about!!
    03-27-11 10:41 AM
    Blackberry is THE jelly jam and peanut butter on golden roasted toast!

03-27-11 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD