06-14-11 08:22 PM
39 12
tools
    Well, let's hold the speculations till the launch of the new RIM devices. Times are tough and companies are not making profits as much as they did earlier, android sure is gaining but RIM wont be behind.
    06-14-11 08:58 AM
    it kills me that "analysts" see this " It would also represent revenue growth of only 21% over the same period last year" as bad??? BAHAHAHAHAHA how is a GROWTH OF 21% from a year ago bad in any way? that is just stupid...
    so its not what they predicted... but they didnt even come close to losing growth.. which would be bad.
    It's not stupid, its business.

Looking at numbers alone, RIM doesnt look aweful on paper. But when you look at the complete body of work, it is struggling. Not saying that it can't come back. It can. It has a strong international following which might be able to combat its losing market share in the US.

Looking at one figure and trying to evaluate the health of a company, "that is just stupid"
    Last edited by brucep1; 06-14-11 at 09:19 AM.
    06-14-11 09:13 AM
    If one person calls you a horse, - they may be crazy. Two people ignore it. If three people call you a horse, time to go buy hay.
    Not necessarily. You may just be an old nag...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 11:44 AM
    True, but when you revise your own guidance (which is generally conservative to begin with), you're not doing well.
    When you revise your guidance it doesn't mean you are not doing well, it means you are not doing what you expected to do, that is a different thing all together.

IF they didn't revise their guidance and came missing target substantially then even more nutters would be trying to launch a class action suit claiming they had been duped
    06-14-11 12:07 PM
    ONLY 21% revenue growth over when they were doing ok this time last year... I bet there's a ton of companies wishing they were "failing" like RIM...

There's a big difference between doing well and not doing as well as the analysts projected...
    And for all the others who feel RIM's numbers are still pretty good, check out the links at the top of this thread. They were a real eye opener for me - and the analysis applies to any tech company :

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=622926

- R.
    06-14-11 12:21 PM
    People here don't understand that international market may soon follow US market. As soon as the cheap Android phone reach the international market people will start buying them instead of Blackberries.

Right now RIM is growing internationally not due to great product but having a very good value for money product but when Android release cheaper product people will start buying Android phones instead of RIM phones.

RIM is not earning that much money from international market as people are not buying their high end phones but rather they are buying reasonably cheaper Blackberries. So overall RIM margin is very less in comparison to iPhone and even high end Samsung Android phones.

Right now the biggest advantage of Blackberries is BBM for the international market but what happens when Apple iMessage becomes hit or Android starts its own messaging service both of them will seriously eat Blackberries shares.
    06-14-11 01:56 PM
    Bought 150 shares @ 34.89 today. Feeling good

06-14-11 01:58 PM
    Bought 150 shares @ 34.89 today. Feeling good

You may have wanted to wait until after this Thursday as I don't think RIM will have much in the way of positive numbers and news during their call.

Tim
    06-14-11 02:54 PM
    Seriously. You may not like the analysts. Or the Tech bloggers. You may totally disagree. You may have reams of research and data that points you in the opposite direction. But it doesn't matter. Share price is effected as much by public sentiment, perception and expectation as any bottom line. Not saying RIMM will not rebound. Maybe they hit $50 again after QNX. But it is almost certain their shares fall before they come back up. I don't think $30 would be a bad buy call, though I think they hit $25 before they hit $50.
    06-14-11 03:02 PM
    You may have wanted to wait until after this Thursday as I don't think RIM will have much in the way of positive numbers and news during their call.

Tim
    BUT! IF the Playbook shipments and sales continued beyond the first 30 days at the pace they had during the first 30 days, very negative market view of the playbook could be turned to a neutral view, and the pessimism could be come neutral which could give a positive spin on the P/E and result in a slight bump in price.

it's always a gamble, you got to guess what the media will spin off of results and how the public will react
    06-14-11 03:02 PM
    Seriously. You may not like the analysts. Or the Tech bloggers. You may totally disagree. You may have reams of research and data that points you in the opposite direction. But it doesn't matter. Share price is effected as much by public sentiment, perception and expectation as any bottom line. Not saying RIMM will not rebound. Maybe they hit $50 again after QNX. But it is almost certain their shares fall before they come back up. I don't think $30 would be a bad buy call, though I think they hit $25 before they hit $50.
    Seriously. Ad hominem.
    06-14-11 06:26 PM
    Thus begins the daily "BlackBerry is Dead" thread for today.
    Well, if you go to the iPhone forums, there aren't a whole lot of "Apple is Dead" threads. So you can do the math and draw your own conclusions.
    06-14-11 08:05 PM
    From the article:

---------
    “We believe RIM has now squandered nearly every opportunity and competitive advantage it enjoyed through ineffective R&D resource management, delayed product launches and misreads of the competitive environment,” Morgan Stanley analyst Ehud Gelblum wrote in a note to clients on Friday.
    ---------

Wow, that's about as damning a statement as I've heard.
    06-14-11 08:15 PM
    This was never real news, now it has drifted to stock speculation... Closed
    06-14-11 08:22 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD