I've got a contact that I have a sound for Contacts>Edit Contact>Messages and I have a Ring Tone selected.

Volume:5
    Count: Active Profile
    Play Sound: Active Profile
    (Active Profile is Normal)

I also have them as a BBM "contact" and it uses that sound profile.

I guess my question is what differentiates an SMS Text from a BBM Alert/Groups/New Message in terms of priority for ring tones used?
    01-17-10 06:52 PM
    you can set a different ringtone for each of them. Go into your sound profiles>edit profile>choose your active profile>click on instant messages and there you will see bbm alert, bbm groups, and bbm new msg to set the ring tones for.

Also, a bbm is shared messaging from one blackberry to another only thru a pin # where as SMS can be sent by using the ph# to another contact that is not blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ScorpionPrincess; 01-17-10 at 07:11 PM.
    01-17-10 07:04 PM
    I have figured out where to change settings, but don't understand which has priority.

I added a contact, non-BB user, to BBM and they are listed as SMS Contact. So which ringtone setting "wins"?
    01-17-10 07:21 PM
    if the person you added to your address book does not have a pin# then when they text you, your alert set for SMS will sound. If they were a contact with a pin# and ph# then if they bbm'd you the tone you have set for bbm will sound but if they text you instead, once again the tone for SMS will sound.

I hope that's what you were looking for

01-17-10 07:31 PM
    It is the answer I was looking for, and it's why I asked because Ringtone "1" is set as their SMS ringtone, and Ringtone "2" went off when I was texting back and forth today. Your answer is what I expected to happen, but it didn't, therefore my reason for asking and for being confused on the results. I've done a battery pull too.
    01-17-10 08:25 PM
    It is the answer I was looking for, and it's why I asked because Ringtone "1" is set as their SMS ringtone, and Ringtone "2" went off when I was texting back and forth today. Your answer is what I expected to happen, but it didn't, therefore my reason for asking and for being confused on the results. I've done a battery pull too.
    Ok I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you then.

The only other thing I thought of is if this contact did that, are they a ph# and a pin# that you bbm them in your address book? If so, go into the same contact in your bbm list and highlight that contact, click your menu key and choose "remove contacts link" you can also do a search here for that to see what other info it can give you. I've never had that problem with my contacts so I don't know much about it

Last edited by ScorpionPrincess; 01-17-10 at 08:41 PM.
    01-17-10 08:34 PM
    Um, it didn't clear it up. I'm expecting the ringtone Ringtone "1", when getting a standard text, which is set at Contacts>Edit Contact>Messages>Ringtone "1" to be played when receiving an SMS from a non-BB user, and it doesn't. It's playing Ringtone "2", which is set for my BBM ringtones. I thought if it wasn't a PIN based contact, it would honor the ringtone set in the user's Contact page. It's not, and it should, and that's why I'm wondering if I've got something set wrong somewhere else.

Thanks
    01-17-10 08:40 PM
    Um, it didn't clear it up. I'm expecting the ringtone Ringtone "1", when getting a standard text, which is set at Contacts>Edit Contact>Messages>Ringtone "1" to be played when receiving an SMS from a non-BB user, and it doesn't. It's playing Ringtone "2", which is set for my BBM ringtones. I thought if it wasn't a PIN based contact, it would honor the ringtone set in the user's Contact page. It's not, and it should, and that's why I'm wondering if I've got something set wrong somewhere else.

Thanks
    ok I understand what your saying. You've gone back into your profiles and double checked that your ringtone you set was for SMS? Also in the contact itself, did you assign it its own custom ringtone for ph and messages? Maybe double check that as well. Other than that, I'm sorry I'm out of ideas for you.

01-17-10 08:50 PM
    The Phone and Messages are both set to Ringtone "1" under that person's Contact information. My Normal profile has Ringtone "2" set for Messages>SMS texts and Instant Messages>BBM Alert, Groups and New Message.

Shouldn't the person's Contact rules apply? Take precedence? Or is it part of my learning curve, that in fact the Normal profile "wins"?

It seems like the ringtone features are very powerful, but at the same time, very confusing because there are so many ways to set them.

I guess my question would be this: How do I set a ringtone for a contact who I chat via SMS?

Thanks
    01-17-10 09:02 PM
    well you could set a ringtone that will be the same for everyone who sms's you OR you could edit that one particular contact and set a diff sound for just when they SMS you so you know its them and it will be diff from if anyone else was to SMS you and get your ringtone you have set in the particular profile your using.

You would go into your contacts list, pull up that name, choose edit and you'll see below where the persons name and job go there will be a field for custom ringtones/alerts and you can edit the phone or messages tone, and be sure to save your settings.

01-17-10 09:15 PM
    I added a contact, non-BB user, to BBM and they are listed as SMS Contact. So which ringtone setting "wins"?
    if it says sms contact, all you are doing is texting them from bbm, so when they text you back, its a regular sms text, not a real bbm. If that makes any sense
    01-17-10 09:17 PM
    if it says sms contact, all you are doing is texting them from bbm, so when they text you back, its a regular sms text, not a real bbm. If that makes any sense
    ahhh! I missed that part! I forgot this could be done! That's why the Op is getting her bbm tone for an SMS.

01-17-10 09:42 PM
    Makes perfect sense. And that's how I understood it "should" happen, the specific ringtone I set for SMS messages in their contact card should ring when I get an SMS (again, not MMS, just plain SMS). That's why my confusion and reason for asking in the forums.

Again, I could be overlooking something "obvious" so thought I'd post, but I've already got things set on how I think it should work, but being new enough to BB may have been overlooking something.

Can 3rd party themes or apps be causing issues with this? I don't have any SMS apps, but thought I'd toss that out there as an idea.
    01-18-10 06:25 AM
    Just thought I'd followup to see if there is something I can do to make sure my understanding is correct.

Contacts (application)>Contact Name>Edit>Custom Ring Tones/Alerts>Messages>(See screenshot)

Everytime someone (this contact as an example) sends me an SMS the ringtone that plays is the one set in my Normal Profile. I thought Contact settings were supposed to override that if you set a Contacts Ringtone.
    02-25-10 05:48 AM
    Also in OS5 you can set a custom ringtone for each contact, for when they call and when they send a message. I think this takes precedence over the ringtone set in the profile.
    02-25-10 11:03 AM
    Also in OS5 you can set a custom ringtone for each contact, for when they call and when they send a message. I think this takes precedence over the ringtone set in the profile.
    Maybe it's an issue with my carrier. I've got dozens of custom ringtones for phone calls from my contacts. But SMS ringtones don't seem to work. It sounds like I'm doing things correct, but it's just not working. Sigh.....
    02-25-10 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD