Hey all,

I have got just a quick question, at the moment the emails here at work are setup as POP3 and i simply have set up on our systems to forward all email that goes to my pop3 account to also send to my blackberry email so i get instant email.. at the moment we are in the process of upgrading our systems and in the next month or so our emails will all be over an exchange server.. will this cause a problem with my email? Will BIS still be okay for me to use or will i need to go to BES?

Sorry, I do not know much about things like this.

Thank you for your help!
    01-11-10 06:17 PM
    You will need BES to get your exchange emails.
    01-11-10 07:34 PM
    Agreed..... youre gonna have to get BES for that.
    01-11-10 07:39 PM
    You do not need BES to get email from the exchange server if the exchange is set up to allow pop3 or obviously OWA (Outlook Web Access). I did this until I installed BlackBerry Professional on my exchange server.

If OWA or pop3 is not allowed/active on the exchange, you would have to use BES, assuming BES is on the exchange. It is darn expensive to put BES on a system, in case you did not know that already.

I am an exchange admin, albeit on a small office small exchange install. Ask whomever is responsible for the exchange if pop3 will be available. That will tell you a lot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 08:28 PM
    Ahh well thats not what i wanted to hear

Is there not a way i will be able to forward all email to my carriers blackberry email like im doing now? I dont get email direct from the server now i have it forward to my carriers blackberry email...
    01-11-10 09:47 PM
    I know for sure that I will be able to check my emails via a website.. say if im away and without my computer i will be able to login aslong as theres somewhere with an internet connection.. does that make it any easier to determine?
    01-11-10 10:01 PM
    I tried it on my office exchange server to forward all the emails that sent to me directly but it seem like it doesn't to works. The forward list only allowed me to select a name from the global address book, if I were to put in my bb mail address, it just doesn't recognize nor doing the forwarding. I give up on that, if you ever know how to forward the mails, please let me know.

01-12-10 04:58 AM
    Hrrmmm interesting..thank you for your help everyone. Seems a little low for blackberry though, I mean its not a problem on windows mobile and its free..on blackberry you gotta get a BES for exchange mail..wierd when blackberry is supposed to be the email smart phone.

Ill give it a go when we get our server done and hopefully figure it out. :-)

01-12-10 06:24 AM
    I tried both my emails, one is blackberry email another is hotmail, both doesn't seem to work though.

01-12-10 06:26 AM
    I thought that if you were able to access your mail in a web browser you can set it up as OWA on a BIS.. Maybe I'm wrong

01-12-10 06:29 AM
    Any guide on how to do that? I'll try google it and tell if found or works.

01-12-10 06:31 AM
    Any guide on how to do that? I'll try google it and tell if found or works.

I'm not 100% sure..but I think if you log into your BIS, click to setup a new email address, input your email but input the wrong password then when it promps you click "enter details manually" then select work email, then OWA and input the correct details in there.

Its something along those lines, I'm not infront of a computer at the moment to have a look.

01-12-10 06:34 AM
    I can only share two experiences. First is that from my work email Rules, I set up forwarding to my Gmail account and it worked great. Second, on iPhones you set up POP/IMAP gmail as Exchange Server and it works great. I would think if you have POP access for your work, you can find a way to set this up through BIS.

01-12-10 07:29 AM
    If you are OWA capable, you should set up BIS through your carrier. I am on ATT, so I go to att.blackberry.com, log in and set up my office email and password, done.

This will allow mail in and out, but not full synchronization with exchange like calendars, contacts and such. You would need to install BlackBerry Professional of BES to do all that....
    01-12-10 02:36 PM
    Just wondering, if the company only allowed employee to receive emails via their BES with company issued device, but allowed employee to use OWA, is this OWA+BIS method considering breaking the policy?
    01-12-10 09:36 PM
    Just wondering, if the company only allowed employee to receive emails via their BES with company issued device, but allowed employee to use OWA, is this OWA+BIS method considering breaking the policy?
    It would seem to be a violation, but if you are getting the email through BES, then BIS using OWA style is redundant. I think the OP was after using BIS for work email, since he can use OWA, and as far as I can assume, BES is not in place.....
    01-13-10 02:04 PM
    I wasn't on BES and I don't want to either. The reason is I do not want to carry 2 phones and don't want all my other personal emails being watch by BES Admin. So BIS with OWA seem pretty good to me just that I'm not sure whether this against the company policies.
    01-13-10 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD