10-31-09 11:51 AM
30 12
tools
    OK, so after reading all the Help me please posts and reading about all these people having problems, I decided to post a thread for all of you.

First and foremost, let me state that the LEAKED version was just that....LEAKED. Beta. Untested. In the Wild. All of those terms means Use at your own risk because there is NO SUPPORT for it. So honestly, everyone who installed it should take a step back and say to themselves....I was in such a hurry to try something that sounded so cool so I could be cool and now I'm screwed and don't have a freakin clue what to do.

Now, on to your help......

If you want to revert back to the old, tried and true (and official ) BBM, try this:
    1. Download the OS version you want on your phone. Example (4.6.1.231, 4.6.1.250).
    2. Once downloaded, install (or reinstall) as you normally would. Delete the vendor.xml file if you downloaded a version other than your carrier's OS. (C drive->program files / program files (x86) for 64 bit users like myself->common files->research in motion->apploader)
    3. After installation, resend your service books and re-register your host routing table (options->advanced options->host routing table->register)
    4. Reboot and you should be set to go.
    For those of you who want to try reinstalling BBM 5() try this:

1. Go to options->advanced options->applications and uninstall BBM.
    2. Re-copy the BBM 5 files from the file you downloaded into the Java folder as you did before.
    3. Re-sync with desktop manager and run the app loader and choose update applications. You should see BBM 5 ready to go. Complete the update and reboot.
    If these steps didn't work and you still have problems and nothing works, then chalk this up as a learning experience and in the future:

Don't install LEAKED, BETA software unless you're willing to lose the functionality you already have. Unless it's an official release, you are using at your own risk WITHOUT support. Lesson number 1.

Added:
    I've seen a lot of posts from people saying just download some .jad file and revert back to the old BBM 4. While this might be a quick fix, it is only a temp fix at best. I'll explain why:

If you simply download the .jad file (much like a theme), the file doesn't exist on your computer like the OS files do. So when you go to sync or update apps using desktop manager, you will encounter errors because DM is reading your device and comparing it to the JAVA files installed on your system and when DM tries to correct it, it can't bacause all you have is the .jad file you installed from a remote location. So in order to save yourself a lot of time, trouble and headaches, it's best to install or re-install the OS of your choice as stated above to fix the problems. Hope this helps explain things a little better.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 07-21-09 at 01:57 PM.
    07-20-09 08:34 PM
    Good post. As great as it is to try the newest stuff unless you are comfortable experimenting and taking a chance on messing things up you shouldn't be doing it.

I've seen posts on this forum the past couple days where people have said they've called the carrier for help because they've lost their BBM. And that is a direct reason that leaks are bad, as much as we all love them!
    07-20-09 08:40 PM
    I agree. I installed the new BBM 5 and mine is working 100% perfectly. But, I have lots of experience with a BB and can revert back or re-do anything I attempt on my phone. Others on here who are obviously new to this need to exercise some common sense and restraint. Rushing into something just to be cool and have the latest and greatest can only lead to where they are now. In trouble.

This should be a great lesson to everyone.
    07-20-09 08:43 PM
    Piggy backing everything said here. Great post and I'm here as well to answer any questions. However, mine is working just fine.
    07-20-09 08:55 PM
    thanks for the post
    07-20-09 08:57 PM
    Well said. It's getting old every other topic is "help me". Great post to remind everyone it's a BETA! I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears or in this case blind eyes. I have 5.0 and I have had minimal issues with it but not enough to freak out about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 10:42 PM
    Anxious to try it, but after hearing some nightmare stories, might wait just a bit more. I guess the old saying "don't miss something I never had".
    07-20-09 10:47 PM
    For everyone who wants to revert the BBM to 4.6

1. Backup your data
    2. Remove bbm and reboot your handheld
    3. download OTA
    4. Run DM, restore your data and done

Good luck
    07-20-09 10:58 PM
    mine just randomly doesnt send messages, no little D above the checkmark, VERY annoying!
    07-20-09 11:37 PM
    kyleCRAZE, try this:

1) Open the BlackBerry Messenger

2) Click on Options

3) Scroll down to Location

4) Under Disable Location/Proximity Requests check-mark the box & Save

This seems to solve the issue of messages being received/delivered late for a few BlackBerry users. You miight be one of those lucky users, lolz.
    07-21-09 12:15 AM
    I had problems with sending, and i just resent the service books and it cleared it for me....
    07-21-09 12:21 AM
    Yeah, that's what I first originally did. Doesn't hurt to disable your location while its in the form of Beta. It's been flawless since
    07-21-09 12:27 AM
    For everyone who wants to revert the BBM to 4.6

1. Backup your data
    2. Remove bbm and reboot your handheld
    3. download OTA
    4. Run DM, restore your data and done

Good luck
    Normally I might agree with this, but this doesn't fix the underlying problem. If they revert this way, the screwed up files that exist in the original JAVA folder are still there, thus upon syncing with DM, conflicts will occur between the device and the installed OS on the computer. If they truly want to fix it by reverting, they need to go through the process of installing or reinstalling the OS on the computer to replace all the needed JAVA files.

I would not suggest installing or reinstalling via a .jad file. Just my humble opinion.
    07-21-09 12:28 AM
    Normally I might agree with this, but this doesn't fix the underlying problem. If they revert this way, the screwed up files that exist in the original JAVA folder are still there, thus upon syncing with DM, conflicts will occur between the device and the installed OS on the computer. If they truly want to fix it by reverting, they need to go through the process of installing or reinstalling the OS on the computer to replace all the needed JAVA files.

I would not suggest installing or reinstalling via a .jad file. Just my humble opinion.
    I agree with 3CISSBB. That's more of a quick fix. It's not guaranteed to work. But reinstalling the OS on the computer, all the java files will be replaced by the OS. It also avoids you of doing the installation twice, lolz.
    07-21-09 12:41 AM
    would you technically fix the 'issue' (and return to the original bbm) by using the 'restore' option on the blackberry desktop manager?

Just wondering.
    07-21-09 04:52 AM
    Hi guys... Some on on my bbm list cant view her avatar. We tried changing pics, we linked her bbm with her phone contact.. we rebooted a few times but nothing. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanx

Jairo
    07-21-09 06:04 AM
    Everything seems to be working fine after my install of BBM 5.0. The only thing that is not working is my Storm does not vibrate when receiving a ping. I checked the BBM settings and the option for vibrate for ping is checked. Anyone else having this problem, anyone have any suggestions on how to fix?
    07-21-09 06:36 AM
    would you technically fix the 'issue' (and return to the original bbm) by using the 'restore' option on the blackberry desktop manager?

Just wondering.
    No you wouldn't fix anything that way. As noted above, 'restore' doesn't replace files in your JAVA folder.
    07-21-09 09:52 AM
    Added an update on the first page.
    07-21-09 01:58 PM
    I downloaded BBM5 last night, and so far so good! I love the fact we now have pictures next to our names!
    07-21-09 02:00 PM
    I am trying to help a friend with an AT&T Curve who is having issues with the BBM 5.0 - if she decides to downgrade her BBM by following the steps provided in this post (reinstalling the OS), does she need to first go into applications and uninstall BBM 5.0? Or will the reinstallation of the OS (4.5.0.110) automatically downgrade her BBM?
    Last edited by amyshave; 07-23-09 at 02:41 PM.
    07-23-09 02:30 PM
    I have an 8130 and running 4.5.0.138. I updated my phone and added bbm 5.0 the same day. My battery seems to be losing more power than normal. I used to be able to go all day without even worrying about charging my phone or my phone dying. The past 2 days 3 days I have either had a dead battery or my phone has had to be charged mid day. I have looked on threads for both bbm and my os but cant seem to tell why its draining. I close my apps properly and dont keep a lot of emails and texts on there to begin with. The pictures I do have on my phone are on a micro sd card. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by Shortyflirt247; 07-24-09 at 09:11 AM.
    07-24-09 09:07 AM
    Attempting to download BBM 5.0, recently upgraded desktop manager, and the installation from this link (RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting) says that I have to have the "old version" to run the file. I did NOT backup my data when I upgraded my desktop manager software a few days ago; am I out of luck with the BBM 5.0 install then?

Would really like to see the new app in it's glory.

UPDATE - erased DM 5.0 and reverted back to 4.7, trying to follow steps c-program files-common files-RIM, unfortunately, I get to this point and I have no "Shared folder" to put the .cod files into that I copied from the unzipped folder mentioned above. Anyone know why I would not have this "shared" folder?
    Last edited by BirmBuckeye; 07-26-09 at 04:25 PM.
    07-26-09 01:40 PM
    i downloaded the 5.0 bbm and it shows in my applications but no icon. so i went in and deleted it. now i installed the blackberry desktop manager on my laptop and backed up my files, but i dont know how to do the rest. like where do i find the old bbm app to reinstall or whateva..grrr too much technology for me to keep up with.. can someone be nice enough and help me out?

thanks
    07-30-09 01:15 PM
    I was about to ask questions about this topic until i googled it and found it. Good thing i googled!
    08-08-09 03:05 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD