Hey guys,

I was wondering, if I end a chat on my Blackberry, will the person I am talking to know that I ended the chat?

What I mean is, will the chat also "disappear" on their phone just like mine?

I'm new here, so my apologies if I posted in the wrong forum

TIA!
    05-22-10 04:18 PM
    No. If you end the chat it will only close it on your BlackBerry. The convo will remain open on theirs.

Welcome to CrackBerry.com!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 04:27 PM
    Ah perfect, thank you!
    05-22-10 04:49 PM
    However, if you remove the contact from your BBM contact list, not only will your name disappear on the other device but any conversation will immediately be deleted.
    05-22-10 04:57 PM
    i was thinking the same thing...will they not know and keep talking? but I asked my friend who has a bb as well and said yeah...it stays there lol
    05-22-10 05:00 PM
    Lol, I'm constantly ending conversations when the other person hasn't said anything after a while. Hate having open chats just sitting there.
    05-22-10 05:17 PM
  7. T
    If you close the conversation window, a new one will simply open if the contact writes to you again.
    05-22-10 07:19 PM
    Thanks for all the help!
    05-22-10 07:41 PM
    Lol, I'm constantly ending conversations when the other person hasn't said anything after a while. Hate having open chats just sitting there.

Me too! I really don't like that!
    05-22-10 07:47 PM
    If they've sent you a file such as a pic and you only used the preview to view it,
    and then closed the chat, it will show on their end that you declined the request
    to actually download the file. But of course if they think you're actually closing the
    chat (which you are) your argument is simply that you declined the file request
    all together.
    05-22-10 09:19 PM
    If it does alert the other party, I may have offended quite a few people by doing so! I also cannot stand an inactive chat window. I have version 5.0 messanger and only used the previous version for a week or so, I could be wrong, but didn't the previous version send a popup saying that the other party is closing the window?

05-22-10 11:48 PM
    I could be wrong, but didn't the previous version send a popup saying that the other party is closing the window?
    You are wrong. It has never told people you were closing.

05-22-10 11:54 PM
    You are wrong. It has never told people you were closing.

I stand corrected.
    05-23-10 10:09 AM
    I know this question doesn't exactly jive with the thread, but I couldn't find anything more closely related.

What is the difference between 'end chat' and 'clear chat'? I've performed both actions and they seem to do the exact same thing. To me, there's got to be a difference; otherwise, we wouldn't have the choice. What am I missing?
    06-28-10 04:08 PM
    They are essentially the same thing. Clearing the chat will leave you in that chat with that person but will clear the chat history. Ending the chat will clear the chat AND also take them out of the chat section and return you back to bbm.
    06-28-10 04:19 PM
    They are essentially the same thing. Clearing the chat will leave you in that chat with that person but will clear the chat history. Ending the chat will clear the chat AND also take them out of the chat section and return you back to bbm.
    If I elect to clear the chat, it ends the chat. On my device, both options do the same thing - end the chat. I'm wondering if clearing the chat, ends the chat while clearing the history; while ending the chat, ends the chat while leaving the history intact. I couldn't test this because I don't have history enabled.
    06-28-10 04:51 PM
    If I elect to clear the chat, it ends the chat. On my device, both options do the same thing - end the chat. I'm wondering if clearing the chat, ends the chat while clearing the history; while ending the chat, ends the chat while leaving the history intact. I couldn't test this because I don't have history enabled.

end chat = basically clears screen and closes the chat window

clear chat = clears your screen of any pins with that person, and leaves chat window open.

HOWEVER, if you clear a chat with a person, and navigate back to the main bbm menu by hitting the back button or clicking switch chat, it will close the chat window with that person.
    its the same as if you open a chat with a person, you dont pin each other and go back to the menu, that chat is not open as theres no text/data/any reason to keep that chat open
    Last edited by sergers; 06-28-10 at 05:43 PM.
    06-28-10 05:38 PM
    Got it! Thanks! I've been dying to ask this question for months.
    06-28-10 06:20 PM
    If u end a chat before reading a delivered message will the sender continue to see the message as delivered or will it change to 'R' after u end chat, even though u didnt open the message b4 ending the chat?
    10-07-11 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD