I've got a new 8310, arrived this morning, it's my first blackberry, and I am trying to access my existing IMAP accounts with it.

Apparently I should use the "I want to create or add an email address" option from the setup wizard, however this option is not present, all I have are the Blackberry Enterprise Server, or Skip Email setup options.

The other way is, supposedly, via the Email Settings option in applications, but this icon is also missing.

The phone was provided by Genesis Communications (who I note also sell hosted Exchange and BES services) and is on an O2 sim.

Is there any way to enable these options? I've already tried upgrading the OS to 4.2.2.194 from the sticky at the top of this thread, hasn't made a difference.
    05-16-08 03:59 PM
    you need to make sure you have the BB data plan. If you don't have it your icon will not show up. call your carrier and make sure you have the data plan.
    05-16-08 04:20 PM
    Well it's a work provided phone so I can't do that (the person who manages the phone contract isn't really IT literate), however I can use the blackberry as a modem without any issues, also it was bought specifically because the data plan is cheaper than with any other phone, so I'd suspect I have it.

Is there anything that needs to be done at my end in order to make the phone recognise that I have the data plan?
    05-16-08 04:26 PM
    BES admin might have it locked so you can't add any BIS email accounts.
    05-16-08 05:16 PM
    We don't have BES, we don't even have Exchange (I know this because I set up the work email server, it is MDaemon)

I've already tried the "Remove IT Policies" thing from the FAQ to no avail.
    05-16-08 05:22 PM
    bleh ;x having the same problem too

i had this option when i first got my curve (on bis) and have successfully set up my yahoo, gmail and another email account. i want to add some more email accounts. is there a max you can have?

edit: nvm i figured it out
    since i'm on rogers, i went to my bb browser and selected the link "do more/my5", "blackberry internet service" and then "email accounts" - i was able to set up more
    Last edited by plutochan; 05-16-08 at 09:36 PM. Reason: don't want to double post
    05-16-08 09:08 PM
    Solved.

Called my supplier and complained about this (didn't mention that I suspected they'd deliberately nobbled the phone to sell their BES service),

Turns out they just hadn't set up the access points at their end or something. They told me to wait 24 hours and then reboot the phone.

20 minutes later I was uninstalling some applications and it rebooted itself and suddenly all the email accounts I'd set up appeared in the application list.
    05-19-08 06:39 AM
    MDaemon
    My work (a school, I have a .us address) uses Mdaemon webmail. However, I have been unable to get the email setup to work on my blackberry. Do you know how to configure the server address and that stuff? Any help would be much appreciated.
    05-20-08 09:08 AM
    My work (a school, I have a .us address) uses Mdaemon webmail. However, I have been unable to get the email setup to work on my blackberry. Do you know how to configure the server address and that stuff? Any help would be much appreciated.
    While BIS seems to be able to handle Outlook Web Access on Exchange servers, I doubt it's going to handle MDaemon webmail, though I haven't personally tried since we don't use that particular feature.

How I got it to work is by enabling IMAP access on MDaemon, so this is probably the first thing you should check for, can you access your work email using a standard IMAP client from your home PC (Outlook Express will do for this purpose), if you can then great, go to the BIS website, give it your email address and fill in garbage for the username and password fields, that will get you to the advanced settings screen and you can manually enter your mail server address, username and password. They'll be the same as what you did on the desktop PC.

If you don't know the mail server name, username or password you're going to have to ask your IT department for that information
    05-20-08 12:07 PM
    I am having a similar problem to the OP. I am not exactly a BB newbie but no expert IT person either! My previous BB (provided by work) was the 7250 I've had it for 2.5 years and it worked pretty well, accessed work email, used the gmail app just fine, use IM+ and accessed most websites i needed.

Now I have the verizon curve 8330 and love it. when i first got it, i was able to set up my yahoo mail to go directly to the inbox, but gmail didnt work. however the gmail app worked just fine, so no problem, i like the app. then my work IT person came to help set me on the enterprise server (basically swap out the PIN on the model phones I was using) and got my work email going to my blackberry. great! now the gmail app doesnt work at all, i log in and it logs me in then logs me out and says there is an error. i cant access mail.google.com in the browser either. also i get my yahoo mail to my inbox but when i respond to it it responds from my work email not my yahoo mail. i dont like that.

anyway, i considered trying to set the gmail up again and/or to delete the yahoo mail and now i can no longer locate the email set up app and when i go into set up wizard the only options i get are to set up work email on enterprise server or skip email set up, i no longer get the internet email option am i screwed on this issue? and its weird that the gmail app doesnt work when it worked just fine on my old model, same job, same enterprise server, etc. help!
    05-20-08 02:33 PM
    I'm not expert here, but based on what I've been reading and discovered myself so far there's two things it could be.

Firstly call Verizon and complain that BIS isn't working. If they dont set up your account for BIS then the icons wont appear and anything you do on the BIS website wont have an effect

2) When IT set you up on BES they probably installed a policy restricting the ability to install apps, or restricting what existing apps are allowed to do. If this is a personal phone (or you don't mind annoying your IT department and possibly getting fired), you can try wiping the policies (how to do this is stickied at the top of this forum) but be aware that this will disconnect you from BES and you'll have to get your IT department to set this up again, which will probably involve putting the policy back on. At least you'll now know whether or not this is the cause.

If it is a personal phone and you really want to use it with BES then you're going to have to nag your IT department to connect your phone without restricting it. They may be reluctant to do this. However an alternative option is to see if it's possible to access your work email using IMAP or Outlook Web Access. If you can do this then you can configure BIS to collect your work email as well.
    05-21-08 05:46 AM
    Thanks. It is a work account but I purchased the phone myself. I wouldn't get fired for these things . I also have a good relationship with the IT/blackberry person at our company. Ill talk to him tomorrow. Thanks.

Is it possible to have BIS and BES or is it an either or thing?

Its also weird that gmail app worked just fine a couple of days ago on my older version device and same work server. When the it guy helped me he alsop tried to help with the gmail app but couldn't figure it out and suggested I call verizon. Thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-08 05:56 AM
    is there any way to get BIS icon on my berry ,ya career provider should have provided but my prob is i don't wan to use through my career i want to set it up from a wifi service if is possible , i am saying that ,i am not using my career and want to setup BIS is it possible.
    10-12-09 04:03 AM
    i just put my data plan today i also receive the msm notification and steel having the same problem..i restart my phone and nothing what can i do ???
    12-21-10 11:12 PM
    Call your carrier back and make sure that they set up a BLACKBERRY Data Plan correctly.
    12-22-10 08:29 AM
    Call your carrier back and make sure that they set up a BLACKBERRY Data Plan correctly.
    i upgrade to a 9750 and now is working good i guess the date plan they put on my account don't work with 8900..
    01-06-11 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD