I have a gmail account setup on my BB (9700)... everything works great... when it set up for the first time, it even pulled it all my contacts from gmail - that was great!

I've got contacts checked as an option to sync in the email settings panel for my gmail account.

Question is, for updating contacts from the BB back to Gmail (on the server side), do I need to separately have Gmail Sync set to sync contacts (I use it to sync calendar events right now, not contacts - thinking I already have contacts set to sync in my gmail email settings)....

Does the built in email app, setup for gmail, only sync gmail contacts one way? ie. from server to BB? If I go in the contacts panel, then options, my gmail account is set to 'Yes' for wireless synchronization...

I just recently added a new contact to my BB, but it's not showing in Gmail when I log in via a computer... It's certainly not instantly updating, but I'm not even sure it will update at all...

Is having Google Sync turned on for contacts the only way to have syncing go from the BB back to the Gmail server?

thnx
    01-27-10 10:03 AM
    i don't have the answer to your question but I'm gonna give it a BUMP in hopes that someone else does...

more generally, can anyone speak to the effective difference in syncing via the Google Sync app or via Email settings > ***@gmail.com > contacts sync...

??

I saw one person a while back mention that they didn't like the email settings method, but with no explanation. i've had my own troubles with the google sync app, so I'm curious as to what people who've tried both extensively have to say
    01-29-10 12:26 PM
    i've since turned off my email settings sync for my gmail account, and relying on the google sync app instead (seems a lot faster anyways, like almost instant... the contact sync option in the email settings seemed like it was extremely laggy to update)...

i came across a thread on bbforums that seemed to link an issue of duplicate contacts with the email account sync (rather than with the google sync app)... i had a few duplicates pop up (luckily not my whole contact list like others have had)... but since turning off the contacts sync option in my gmail email settings, things seem more stable...

hopefully, this will all be moot once BIS 3.0/3.1 releases - which is said to have full integration between BIS and Gmail... let's hope so...
    01-29-10 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD