06-15-11 09:30 AM
    If the market over reacts it might be a great time to pick up some shares...
    06-15-11 09:35 AM
    this whole **** is getting so annoying
    patent here, patent there
    lawsuits

and who's the one who always has to suffer in the end?
    the consumer
    06-15-11 09:53 AM
    this whole **** is getting so annoying
    patent here, patent there
    lawsuits

and who's the one who always has to suffer in the end?
    the consumer
    All company steal from others even Apple, it is not fair for the other company to lose their unique feature for free so this way atleast the other company earns something.

HP should also have a patent infringement case on RIM for copying WebOS UI in their Playbook device.
    06-15-11 10:17 AM
    i understand the "thought" behind all that and that its important, all im saying is that its ******* annoying

and no, hp should not
    ridiculous
    06-15-11 10:27 AM
    I hope that all the recent law suits against RIM do not start sapping funds
    from R&D etc.. This has happened to several companies and has brought those companies to their knees. In some cases the companies are no longer around.

If RIM is found to be using items that belong to some other company without
    compensating those companies they deserve the pain.

If not, then someone needs to see if Google or Apple is behind this all as they have been found to do such things.

Tim
    06-15-11 11:15 AM
    A good risk strategist would have noted that. These are sharks circling as they smell blood due to all the market negativity.
    All they need is Roy Scheider with a gun and a tank of oxygen. Hopefully in the form of a Bold Touch.
    06-15-11 11:59 AM
    A good risk strategist would have noted that. These are sharks circling as they smell blood due to all the market negativity.
    All they need is Roy Scheider with a gun and a tank of oxygen. Hopefully in the form of a Bold Touch.
    The Bold Touch will not do it. Might be good for the current BB users
    but it will not bring any new folks into the BB family.

Let see, an old OS (warmed over OS6), 5 mega-pixel camera (when others are coming out with 8). No front facing camera (many others have or will have this), same or slower CPU as other new phones.

Sure it has a touch screen, but it's too small for people to trade in their Droid or IPhone for. To me it doesn't make sense to have a track pad on a touch screen either.

It looks good and sexy, but the numbers do not add up.

It was produced so RIM could have a small bump in sales, not to show that RIM is back in the game. If RIM thinks this, then they are still out to lunch.

Remember this when the numbers come out for this phone and 3rd and 4th quarter results. RIMS market share will still be sliding off.

They need to get the BB Touch, non-keyboard unit with QNX out for the holiday shopping season or 2011 will truly be bad one for RIM.

Tim
    06-15-11 12:18 PM

Let see, an old OS (warmed over OS6), 5 mega-pixel camera (when others are coming out with 8). No front facing camera (many others have or will have this), same or slower CPU as other new phones.

Sure it has a touch screen, but it's too small for people to trade in their Droid or IPhone for. To me it doesn't make sense to have a track pad on a touch screen either.

It was produced so RIM could have a small bump in sales, not to show that RIM is back in the game. If RIM thinks this, then they are still out to lunch.

Remember this when the numbers come out for this phone and 3rd and 4th quarter results. RIMS market share will still be sliding off.

They need to get the BB Touch, non-keyboard unit with QNX out for the holiday shopping season or 2011 will truly be bad one for RIM.

Tim
    This is by far the most honest and practical opinion regarding RIM future by any in the forum.
    Releasing a single device will not increase RIM share till the device name doesn't start with an "i". RIM has to release multiple type of device within a definite time period and have to advertise those devices as if there is no tomorrow.
    Android is the bigger threat to RIM than Apple as Android is matching RIM devices in price but giving better performance.
    06-15-11 01:03 PM
    But I bet the number of units sold, number of total users, and profits will still all be going up!
    06-15-11 01:47 PM

Tim
    Why do you think RIM needs to convince Droid owners to jump ship? There's more people that still use "dumb" phones and plenty new generations of young people ready to get a smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-11 02:00 PM
    it will not bring any new folks into the BB family.
    Tim
    You have got to be kidding with this statement.
    06-15-11 02:14 PM
    If Dolby does get an injunction, and halts the release of the upcoming BB phones, it will more than likely finally rip me away from BB depending on how long the injunction lasted. I'm milking my 8330 for everything that it is worth right now, and I am in desperate need of an upgrade, but I am not going to waste my 2-yr upgrade on an outdated BB when there is suppose to be new ones shortly and plenty of Androids to choose. I just hope the new line does not get halted from this issue and we all get to have a new BB in our hands shortly.
    06-15-11 03:00 PM
    If Dolby does get an injunction, and halts the release of the upcoming BB phones, it will more than likely finally rip me away from BB depending on how long the injunction lasted. I'm milking my 8330 for everything that it is worth right now, and I am in desperate need of an upgrade, but I am not going to waste my 2-yr upgrade on an outdated BB when there is suppose to be new ones shortly and plenty of Androids to choose. I just hope the new line does not get halted from this issue and we all get to have a new BB in our hands shortly.
    That's not gonna happen, look at Apple, they settled with Nokia and now they're paying them licence fees, after a very long court battle.

06-15-11 03:29 PM
    Why do you think RIM needs to convince Droid owners to jump ship?
    Because they need to regain market share..simple.
    Not just Droid but IPhoners as well.

The only reason they are shipping more is that their are markets
    where Droid and IPhones have not caught on yet. Once they do
    you will see the BB numbers sold slide downward.

They have a small window to do this as if and when Nokia gets its legs
    back RIM needs to be on a strong upswing or game over.

Tim
    06-15-11 04:04 PM
    You have got to be kidding with this statement.
    As a person that has lost close to $500 in the BB stock slide I kid you not.

Again, small bump but no real long term gain. Mark my words as I am marking yours.

Tim
    06-15-11 04:06 PM
    Because they need to regain market share..simple.
    Not just Droid but IPhoners as well.

The only reason they are shipping more is that their are markets
    where Droid and IPhones have not caught on yet. Once they do
    you will see the BB numbers sold slide downward.

They have a small window to do this as if and when Nokia gets its legs
    back RIM needs to be on a strong upswing or game over.

Tim
    I totally agree with you, RIM is growing in emerging market right now but as soon as Cheaper Android phone flood those market people will buy Android phone over RIM phones.
    Android phone offer more features than RIM phones right now but RIM phones are cheaper.
    iMessage can be a very big competitor to BBM if that happens RIM sales will decrease even further.

RIM only way to grow is to bring better devices,improve BBM further and try to innovate by getting something new to the market like Apple iCloud.
    06-15-11 04:50 PM
  18. T
    Dolby must be broke. It's a long shot; RIM devices don't even use compression for the same purposes Dolby uses it (unless the beef is about listening to music). I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't even Dolby's idea. It's probably a concerted effort, orchetstrated by the other platforms that would like to see RIM eliminated, their brainchild, so to speak.

06-15-11 10:54 PM
    Dolby won't have to worry about halting sales of BB devices....Is RIM still making BlackBerries?
    06-17-11 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD