I've been wondering since the iOS5 announcement about whether RIM should be thinking of launching its own cloud service. How significant will Cloud services be to the consumer? I'm beginning to think RIM could get away without a cloud, if they implemented auto syncing over WiFi, without the need to connect via USB.

The truth is, I rarely sync my BB because I don't think to connect it up via the USB. If the sync happened automatically whilst my phone was plugged in for charging and connected to Wifi, I wouldn't need to plug in via USB.

Photos:
    iCloud will sync photos between a Mac, iPhone and iPad so the same photos appear on each device. I'm not entirely sure why this needs to happen across 'the cloud' - I'd much rather RIM just set up the Playbook and BlackBerry phones to sync over Wifi, so when I get home in the evening, my devices sync when plugged in for charging. No cloud needed.

Music:
    I purchased an MP3 on my Blackberry last week and was surprised the 7digital music store on my Playbook (same account) didn't pick up on this. Again, home syncing would solve this without the need for "iTunes in the cloud", because with wifi syncing the MP3 would have been sent to my Playbook overnight when I plugged my phone in for charging.

BBM:
    RIM have already said they're working on BBM without Bridge, so they don't need a cloud for this either.

Documents:
    I'm not entirely sure how RIM could implement this. Obviously they could sync documents, but it won't be as 'elegant' of the iCloud solution of automatically archiving older copies of documents. I'm not too sure I'm bothered either way - because I've never edited a document on my Playbook or BlackBerry because it'd be utterly tedious - and though I have used Word-To-Go for taking notes, I could just as quickly e-mail those notes to myself. Although maybe when I saved a Word document on my phone, there should also be a "Save and Push" option, which saves it to my memory card, and also emails a copy to myself (which is automatically pruned by the Playbook (when it has native email running) and saved to memory).

What are your thoughts on this? Does RIM need to launch a cloud? I'm beginning to think you can do just as much without!
    06-20-11 08:11 AM
    I know there are many that like all of their devices to have the same things on them. Myself I choose to put what I want on each device, I do not want them syncing everything. Sure email, calendar, pim functions so you don't have to care which device you're using.

As for the cloud it has a place but I'm not so sure I like the idea of yet. How secure is it? What happens to my stuff if their system crashes and their backups are bad for some reason? Who will be able to hack into it?
    06-20-11 08:42 AM
    They already have a somewhat "cloud" feature in BB protect. Add in the the ability to backup txt msg's and email and what more do you need? I myself hate when everything is on every device, if I want my pictures from my BB on my pc then just hook it up, and vice versus.
    06-20-11 08:49 AM
  4. T
    BlackBerry is about security. If you want a cloud, go to Apple la-la-land where security is at the bottom of the list of things that matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 08:53 AM
    But there's absolutely no reason why local wifi syncing between two approved devices couldn't be done securely. Apple has introduced some great security features, which is why the iPhone is getting bigger in business. Tonis, you're asking RIM to trade on its former glories.

The Playbook does allow wifi connections so I can drag and drop files onto it without having to use a USB cable, but I'd love to see this streamlined and beautified, and work with BB smartphones too.
    06-20-11 09:18 AM
    But there's absolutely no reason why local wifi syncing between two approved devices couldn't be done securely. Apple has introduced some great security features, which is why the iPhone is getting bigger in business. Tonis, you're asking RIM to trade on its former glories.

The Playbook does allow wifi connections so I can drag and drop files onto it without having to use a USB cable, but I'd love to see this streamlined and beautified, and work with BB smartphones too.
    You mean like wifi music sync included in OS6?
    cfoxx likes this.
    06-20-11 09:32 AM
    You mean like wifi music sync included in OS6?
    I never saw this documented! But I googled and you're right!

So all RIM need to do is automate this process (for those that want it) and include photos and videos in it too!
    06-20-11 12:31 PM

So all RIM need to do is automate this process (for those that want it) and include photos and videos in it too!
    Wouldnt be hard to do. Here's hoping its on their list
    06-20-11 01:23 PM
    Again this shows the biggest problem RIM has... lack of marketing and promoting features that it already has.
    06-20-11 03:16 PM
    What about Blackberry Protect that backs up your device, tracks it when lost, and allows you to remote wipe. RIM has a lot of the "cloud" pieces in place, and already has a NOC/Data Center, so they just need to add a few features and market it.
    06-20-11 03:24 PM
    there isn't enough bandwidth. google msft and apple stole it all.
    06-20-11 04:11 PM
    there isn't enough bandwidth. google msft and apple stole it all.
    I thought that was Netflix?

Just found out I can't wifi sync with a Mac. Boooo!
    06-20-11 05:07 PM
    I don't need a cloud that is prone to a thunderstorm that could easily vanish or get hijacked, hacked or corrupted or go bad.

So many risks.... I'll just stick with DM backups.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 04:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD