03-25-11 08:40 AM
142 ... 456
tools
    i think not... 6.1 is a simple stop gap to QNX (OS7) - the hands on reports say its fine but not great.
    03-21-11 09:22 PM
    i think not... 6.1 is a simple stop gap to QNX (OS7) - the hands on reports say its fine but not great.
    maybe I missed it but where is there a hands on report of 6.1?
    03-21-11 10:42 PM
    The upcoming BB's running 6.1 better be a big step up from what is being offered right now or I just don't see how they will sell many this summer. Assumming there will be an iphone5 and with all the LTE androids coming out. Basically only the people that cant part with BB's kb will be about the only ones stickn around!
    03-21-11 10:48 PM
    There are def some people running the upcoming bold touch. Just not much can be said about it yet. I would guess some video will start popping up soon! I hope so anyways! Getting very frustrated with my 9650!
    03-21-11 10:52 PM
    What hands on report?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 02:51 AM
    This the only hands on that we have that I know of:

All...

I didnt really get to expand on what the issues I have with this device is and since twitter is on hiatus until LENT is over I fig I would come over here and talk about it.

Nowwww... The good..

Hardware is actually really solid, and even though its only 5mp the camera is quite good. I would say only behind the Iphone4 in terms of 5mp quality.

Screen is also good. very responsive and actually a pretty decent one screen keyboard. Again good but lacking behind Iphone and some of the choices from android. The keyboard is also not multi-touch but I have been advised is going to be when launched.

now.. software...

I will say this.. the added speed and memory really really helped in this area. device is quite quick but then again when your dealing with the bb OS and its minimal UI thats to be expected. I havent themed it up or anything as of yet...

IMHO 6.1 is more about refining the user experience then anything. There are some additional media features but to be honest I am not sure if they are additional or if they were on the torch as VZW bold build isn't made for touch and this is the first touch interface OS6 I have used. Social features work very well, giving android and IOS a run for there money. Twitter client is still lacking so UBERSOCIAL will still get plenty of downloads.

All in all.. those that arent all in with android and google services and just want a powerful, ease to use email/text monster with a hint of good media services and a passable browser (still acts like fake webkit) will like this device.

It will NOT run QNX least not in a way thats enjoyable if at all.. so I would def get it on a 1yr agreement.

Panda
    03-22-11 04:41 AM
    What hands on report?

Rumored device forums.

03-22-11 05:52 AM
    Rumored device section.

03-22-11 05:53 AM
    Rumored device forums.

Thanks bro! Keep on keepn' on!

03-22-11 03:56 PM
    Another proof that RIM officially calls OS6.1 a major upgrade. Another news adding fire to the speculation that OS 6.1 runs on top of QNX kernel.

RIM deems BlackBerry OS 6.1 a 'major upgrade,' promises a spring release -- Engadget
    03-24-11 05:51 PM
    Another proof that RIM officially calls OS6.1 a major upgrade. Another news adding fire to the speculation that OS 6.1 runs on top of QNX kernel.

RIM deems BlackBerry OS 6.1 a 'major upgrade,' promises a spring release -- Engadget
    6.1 just supports way to much functioning to not have qnx intervension....it isn't a question of does it...but more so a matter of what extent..

03-24-11 06:01 PM
    No doubt 6.1 is major. But I still see no reason to believe QNX kernel is under the hood.

Believe what you will. We will know more in May at bbw.

03-24-11 06:43 PM
    It is a major hardware increase along with other features that do more than enough to merit it being call a 'major upgrade' without this continuing delusion from some people on here that qnx had anything to do with it.

Qnx will have been doing one thing since joining rim and that is working on the playbook, once it has launched they will have playbook updates, 3g/4g versions and qnx phones to work on.
    03-25-11 03:52 AM
    It is a major hardware increase along with other features that do more than enough to merit it being call a 'major upgrade' without this continuing delusion from some people on here that qnx had anything to do with it.

Qnx will have been doing one thing since joining rim and that is working on the playbook, once it has launched they will have playbook updates, 3g/4g versions and qnx phones to work on.
    I'm sure the QNX team has the resources to have been working on other products then just PB...qnx phones early 2012 suggests they are already under way

03-25-11 06:37 AM
    Kevin dropped a post in thee playbook forum with some insights. Here is quote wher he says how playbook is not ready for RIM NOC and all that has to be in place before qnx phones.
    y OS.
    Very encouraging overall.
    Also, I hit up a panel discussion today where one of RIM's Sr.
    Guys was there, and Walt Mossberg asked him the question on
    why no native email at launch. Again RIM made it clear that
    they are working on it. Basically the Bridge came about as a
    result of enterprise requesting RIM to build a tablet that
    worked in a similar way to the Smartphones - was secure,
    could be deployed and managed, etc. At the same time as those
    conversations were taking place (a while ago now), RIM bought
    QNX and decided to make that their platform. The bridge is the
    quick way for RIM to get to market quickly with a secure tablet
    device for enterprise (since it utilizes the BB as the secure
    tunnel to the NOC), while RIM works to build all that
    functionality into the PlayBook itself (a necessity that has to be
    in place before a QNX phone launches). Hopefully they're
    working fast on this. And the good thing with the PlayBook of
    course is the upgrade cycle won't be held back by car.
    03-25-11 07:02 AM
    Last post was a bit ugly because opera 6 lags so bad with that much text. So unwould think if they can't get tablet OS running through the NOC there is no way they would be inserting that kernel into BB 6.1.

Very possible talent from qnx engineering teams helped milk more from the OS 5 kernel. Maybe even redo some parts but no way there is a QNX kernel running there.

03-25-11 07:06 AM
    I'm sure the QNX team has the resources to have been working on other products then just PB...qnx phones early 2012 suggests they are already under way
    QNX wasn't actually a very big company anyway and don't you think that it is vastly more likely that rather that trying to get involved in a platform that they know little to nothing about they would be concentrating on their current task of readying playbook for launch along with the established future tasks of playbook updates, 3g/4g playbooks and eventually qnx phones.

Needlessly dragging them into os 6.1 would be asinine in the extreme since it would potentially delay their more important tasks for little benefit on a platform that is going to be replaced anyway next year and I really do not understand why some posters keep trying to peddle this idea just to try and give os6.1 an artificial boost it doesn't actually need since those devices are going to be an aging but good os being supplemented by drastically improved hardware.
    03-25-11 08:40 AM
142 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD