03-25-11 08:40 AM
142 12345 ...
tools

Playbook is already off to a great start and is looking like one of the best OSs out there. If it's affiliated with Blackberry we can expect great things in the coming months/years....it's that simple.
    more propaganda. it's "not" off to a great start. it's Not "off" at all. It's an unreleased product and we have yet to see how it is going to do in the marketplace. I am surprised at how many people determine the worth of a product based on staged youtube demos.
    02-04-11 12:19 PM
    No, the BlackBerry OS also has a real time OS kernel, just not as advanced as QNX. There are no pure Java OS's, Java runs on a host OS. Myriad low level services from radio, audio and video are written in C, C++ and Assembly and are accessible by the JVM on behalf of applications. Very similar to Android and QNX.

I would say that the difference is mainly in the fact that Android began as a server OS shrunk down to embedded hardware, while RIM's OS was built for pagers first (harder to grow.) They're converging on a mobile OS from opposite directions.
    I agree with the Kernel part and native code(JNI) for some part of the OS and I am reiterating the same if you look at my previous posts and I disagree on the point BB OS and Android are the same architecturally. I should have rather used the word "JVM centric" for BB OS, yes BB OS is JVM centric where as Android is not.

All the user interactions on a BB would translate through a JVM to the underlying native interfaces or the matter of fact the Kernel but no where in the OS you will a native interface exposed or provided direct access in the form of API's. This approach of running code is called MANAGED Code because everything is run in a virtual machine with tighter boundaries and controls, Java is one of the Managed Programming languages.

Where as Android is more like Ubuntu that has a native interface and a JVM to run applications. Android wanted to be like BB OS before 1.0 (or even early versions) that but looking at the success of iOS then they changed their strategy and opened up the native native interface and it is not a JVM centric OS anymore. Also in Android it intitates a separate JVM per application that means each application run inside of its own JVM, when the process is closed the JVM is also closed. That is not the same in BB OS.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 02-04-11 at 01:12 PM.
    Culex316 likes this.
    02-04-11 12:36 PM
    more propaganda. it's "not" off to a great start. it's Not "off" at all. It's an unreleased product and we have yet to see how it is going to do in the marketplace. I am surprised at how many people determine the worth of a product based on staged youtube demos.
    Why do you keep spreading misinformation? Were you at CES? I think you failed to see the hands-on videos of the Playbook from several different sources on Youtube.

Did you try playing with the Xoom? Did you see that they didn't have anything working besides some simulated VIDEOS on them? Who's staged now? Stop talking.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    02-05-11 02:49 AM
    Why do you keep spreading misinformation? Were you at CES? I think you failed to see the hands-on videos of the Playbook from several different sources on Youtube.

Did you try playing with the Xoom? Did you see that they didn't have anything working besides some simulated VIDEOS on them? Who's staged now? Stop talking.
    Big plus 1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-11 03:42 AM
    I think the current layout of UI of the playbook looks great but thats just it, it looks great on a bigger screen such as a tablet. I certainly wouldn't want that on anything smaller than a 7 inch screen and I its certainly believable to see an amalgamation of that into the current Blackberry OS6.

I'd like to see more of 6.1 and hopefully if it does entail some of QNX inner workings then I hope it makes it way to current OS 6 devices without be shrugged off.
    Dual core might be the future but here's hoping QNX isn't as power hungry as we've seen other portable operating systems have shown.
    02-05-11 07:37 AM
    I think the current layout of UI of the playbook looks great but thats just it, it looks great on a bigger screen such as a tablet. I certainly wouldn't want that on anything smaller than a 7 inch screen and I its certainly believable to see an amalgamation of that into the current Blackberry OS6.
    The playbooks UI was taken from OS6, so as to be familiar for current bb users. This is just a UI change. I will say that the whole swiping a app away to close should stay just on the playbook, but it was all taken from OP6
    02-05-11 08:24 AM
    The playbooks UI was taken from OS6, so as to be familiar for current bb users. This is just a UI change. I will say that the whole swiping a app away to close should stay just on the playbook, but it was all taken from OP6
    Agreed. Also, the current BB6 phones will most likely get the upgrade to 6.1 lite which I believe we've seen leaked screens from the sedona. It looks fairly similar.

The full blown 6.1 we have yet to see.
    02-05-11 11:26 AM
    my prediction is coming sort of true, here is another news talking about OS6.1 to run QNX kernel.

RIM: Hybrid QNX BlackBerries This Summer, Says Jefferies - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    03-11-11 09:01 AM
    my prediction is coming sort of true, here is another news talking about OS6.1 to run QNX kernel.

RIM: Hybrid QNX BlackBerries This Summer, Says Jefferies - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    Speculation. There just isn't actual qnx software in 6.1. There is just no way that 1) RIM wouldn't reference it somewhere and 2) they would devert QNX resources from delicering the tablet OS experience to the phone.

No they have the qnx team building out the playbook through at least the fall. Then they will move on to integrating the same os to the smaller form factor. That is probably a lot of what tat is doing.
    Well, to be clear this my humble opinion.

03-11-11 06:41 PM
    And just to support that this article is bunk, they are saying BB os doesn't support more than 256 mbs of ram....

03-11-11 06:57 PM
    And just to support that this article is bunk, they are saying BB os doesn't support more than 256 mbs of ram....

BlackBerry Torch have 512MB of “RAM” that is really just the storage RAM like EPPROM and the analyst is talking about the actual RAM like SDRAM which acts like your PC RAM when programs are running.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-11-11 at 07:39 PM.
    03-11-11 07:32 PM
    Speculation. There just isn't actual qnx software in 6.1. There is just no way that 1) RIM wouldn't reference it somewhere and 2) they would devert QNX resources from delicering the tablet OS experience to the phone.

No they have the qnx team building out the playbook through at least the fall. Then they will move on to integrating the same os to the smaller form factor. That is probably a lot of what tat is doing.

QNX need not develop anything in this case and all the heavy lifting will be handled by the RIM's OS team, QNX team just need to share their filed tested and proven kernel with the RIM developers. RIM started recruiting QNX engineers even before it acquired QNX and don't think RIM is in dark about the QNX.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-11-11 at 07:41 PM.
    03-11-11 07:36 PM

QNX on 6.1 is the ace up their sleeve. They are just talking about the playbook a lot because it's about to drop. The phones are further off and may just need polishing for 6.1 to get ready for the eventual transition to OS7 (I believe this may be an option.) TAT is also probably polishing the UI for 6.1. They need these next handsets to tide people over, there is a lot riding on them.
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 03-11-11 at 08:19 PM.
    03-11-11 08:17 PM
    The phones might be further away, but they will already be well into development by now and the odds are that os6.1 will be os6 with a few new features but mostly just stuff to support the new hardware, it would just make things needlessly complicated for it to be some kind of hybrid when a clean break between os6.1 and a qnx-based os7 is far more logical.
    howarmat and sleepngbear like this.
    03-11-11 08:32 PM
    BlackBerry Torch have 512MB of RAM that is really just the storage RAM like EPPROM and the analyst is talking about the actual RAM like SDRAM which acts like your PC RAM when programs are running.
    So your saying that the bold 9650, 9780 and torch only have 256 mbs of ram available to the OS qven though all of their specs say 512 and that if you look at available memory it shows as if the 512 was there!?

If that is the case I question why anyone would want a BB. That would be extremely dishonest and I think it would been pointed out numerous times. Civic alone would have had a field day.

03-12-11 07:13 AM
    And I am sorry. But qnx developed tablet OS. Kevin has stated that. Qnx employees are the one talking about it. I don't see them going a diffrent path on the phones.

6.1 is a nice improvement. Effectively to BB6 what BB6 was to OS 5. Incremental evolution on the same core.

The revolution will be BB7 which is really where qnx will come in. I just don't want you guys thinking 6.1 is better than it is and jumping on 2 year contracts and then kicming your self in the *** in may 2012 when they drop qnx phones.

I could be wrong, I have been before.

K Bear likes this.
    03-12-11 07:18 AM
    Well in case some of you haven't followed the Monaco/Monza (Storm 3) thread..the tester in there (BMX) has been using the Storm 3 and here's his impressions:

"Hardware is actually really solid, and even though its only 5mp the camera is quite good. I would say only behind the Iphone4 in terms of 5mp quality.

Screen is also good. very responsive and actually a pretty decent one screen keyboard. Again good but lacking behind Iphone and some of the choices from android. The keyboard is also not multi-touch but I have been advised is going to be when launched.

now.. software...

I will say this.. the added speed and memory really really helped in this area. device is quite quick but then again when your dealing with the bb OS and its minimal UI thats to be expected. I havent themed it up or anything as of yet...

IMHO 6.1 is more about refining the user experience then anything. There are some additional media features but to be honest I am not sure if they are additional or if they were on the torch as VZW bold build isn't made for touch and this is the first touch interface OS6 I have used. Social features work very well, giving android and IOS a run for there money. Twitter client is still lacking so UBERSOCIAL will still get plenty of downloads.

All in all.. those that arent all in with android and google services and just want a powerful, ease to use email/text monster with a hint of good media services and a passable browser (still acts like fake webkit) will like this device.

It will NOT run QNX least not in a way thats enjoyable if at all.. so I would def get it on a 1yr agreement"

He also stated via Twitter that he wasn't very impressed. So take it for what it's worth

For me personally..the only thing that would have potentially brought me back anytime soon was the Storm 3 with an equivalent browser and media as what i'm using now. But even with the additional horsepower..it seems like it's still not up to par..so I won't be going anywhere yet (at least on the BB side of things)
    Last edited by Rickroller; 03-12-11 at 08:07 AM.
    K Bear and howarmat like this.
    03-12-11 08:02 AM
    QNX on 6.1 is the ace up their sleeve. They are just talking about the playbook a lot because it's about to drop. The phones are further off and may just need polishing for 6.1 to get ready for the eventual transition to OS7 (I believe this may be an option.) TAT is also probably polishing the UI for 6.1. They need these next handsets to tide people over, there is a lot riding on them.
    So this is a way for RIM to continue to once over their customers. Another let's just make devices to try to hold people over until we can get things right. It's the same crap we heard in with OS5 and OS6.
    03-12-11 09:28 AM
    Well in case some of you haven't followed the Monaco/Monza (Storm 3) thread..the tester in there (BMX) has been using the Storm 3 and here's his impressions:
    when people using blackberries for the last 10 years don't know what kernel the BB OS runs how the f@%K do you expect a dumb tester to know what kernel is OS 6.1 running in 10 minutes of use on a initial build? First do you understand what a kernel is? if yes, which part of OS 6.1 and kernel you didn't understand. OS 6.1 is a OS 6.0 + improvements running on a QNX kernel is point in discussion.
    03-12-11 06:10 PM
    when people using blackberries for the last 10 years don't know what kernel the BB OS runs how the f@%K do you expect a dumb tester to know what kernel is OS 6.1 running in 10 minutes of use on a initial build? First do you understand what a kernel is? if yes, which part of OS 6.1 and kernel you didn't understand. OS 6.1 is a OS 6.0 + improvements running on a QNX kernel is point in discussion.

Does it matter if it's running on a QNX kernel to begin with if it's being noted that there isn't enough of it in there to notice or make a difference? I think the point of his comments were it probably isn't on a QNX kernel otherwise i'm guessing it would be better than what he was seeing.
    03-12-11 06:29 PM
    You clearly don't know bmx. So we will forgive your comments for their ignorance.

That guy just risked his job to provide some insight into a device so that folks like us know what we are doing when drop our hard earned money on a device and sign a 2 year contract. Show a little respect and some gratitude for that at least.

And being that this tester has had his hands on just about device that passes through big red I probably value his opinion more than 90% of the posters on here.

Here is the simple test to know if 6.1 has any qnx unde the hood...how long does a restart take? We should get that answer and then we will know.

03-12-11 06:45 PM
    That is easily one of the most annoying acts on the web. The guy who drops the annoying interactive graphic in the middle of a thread. I have no idea if the 6.1 performance will be noticeably improved or if it will sit on a QNX kernel. I do know that while I appreciate whoever that was might have been relaying his opinion on the device, I don't think it is something to stand on for an argument. I have also heard that testers are really impressed with the bold touch but I don't think that is a basis for an argument either.
    03-12-11 06:47 PM
    You clearly don't know bmx. So we will forgive your comments for their ignorance.

That guy just risked his job to provide some insight into a device so that folks like us know what we are doing when drop our hard earned money on a device and sign a 2 year contract. Show a little respect and some gratitude for that at least.

And being that this tester has had his hands on just about device that passes through big red I probably value his opinion more than 90% of the posters on here.

Here is the simple test to know if 6.1 has any qnx unde the hood...how long does a restart take? We should get that answer and then we will know.

His comments didn't bother me...just in case you were including me in your "we".
    03-12-11 06:49 PM
    His comments didn't bother me...just in case you were including me in your "we".
    I was using the imperial "we".

03-12-11 06:51 PM
    And I was just giving you a hard time...it sounded worse after I typed it.
    03-12-11 06:53 PM
142 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD