Yesterday, I decided to see what stuff was on my rather new 9930, such as languages I don't need, or useless modules that could be deleted. So I plugged it into DM. I synced and backed up (or thought I did). I have done a backup about a week ago, too.

Then I went to the Applications component and selected/deselected a series of languages and other stuff to remove. What I guess I missed was that it also found an OS upgrade ONLINE (since I have not installed any OS on my computer for 9930). So there I was gasping and sputtering as it started without any benefit of cancelling. Okay, a while later, it was over, something installed.

But in the process I seem to have lost all of my setups for email accounts. Had to go though that process again. Or did I miss some setting or something else. I went through the RESTORE stuff but did not see anything that resembled email accounts. Looked at the older backup, too. Nothing.

I would have guessed that DM would have backed that stuff up. So, can someone say where those settings might be stored or how to otherwise recover them?

Also, I found that none of my bis filters were enabled - all kinds of mail flooded in. When I logged onto BIS, all my email accounts needed to be re-verified. Obviously, I did something dastardly to my 9930.

Thanks in advance.
    03-11-12 08:59 PM
    I had similar problems with the device switch wizard coming from the 9780 to the 9900. I lost all my BES email that was saved, as well as all my profiles, settings etc. I haven't done a backup/restore since though.
    03-12-12 01:21 AM
    Thanks for the reply even if we don't know the answer yet.

Well, I did not care about email messages (but mine is a personal device) but having to setup all of the accounts (seven of them) again was a pain. I don't know all of the passwords so have to find those. I may repost in the DM subforum to see if anyone has suggestions.
    03-12-12 11:07 AM
    Thats odd. All your email settings should be tried to your Blackberry ID. When you restore your phone and login to your Blackberry ID and under email setup, you should be able to see all your email accounts and then your provider should push the service books to your email accounts.

DM should backup the emails.

- Charles
    03-12-12 12:07 PM
    Thats odd. All your email settings should be tried to your Blackberry ID. When you restore your phone and login to your Blackberry ID and under email setup, you should be able to see all your email accounts and then your provider should push the service books to your email accounts.

DM should backup the emails.

- Charles
    Oh, so maybe I jumped the gun? I don't recall the order of what happened other than my email accounts (again, I am not currently concerned about the actual messages) were gone. How I discovered that was I was trying to edit some Autotext entries. So I grabbed an existing message (ah, I guess my messages were restored) to reply so I could get to the Autotext list and add entries. But the bbphone said I needed "an account or such" and offered the email setup. That's when I realized I had lost all of my accounts. I don't recall when I was asked for my bbid but I do recall it being an issue or question somewhere in the process. So, I needed to wait for Service Books (those arcane obscure items) to be re-sent or some such?

I guess, I'd just like to know how to go about restoring those accounts if this occurs again.

Thanks for your reply.
    03-12-12 03:14 PM
    Lets explain a way to cloose your account.

You can delete the service books that is associated with your email account. Doing so basically removes the icon but your actual email is still in the phone.

You switch to another SIM card which might loose all your email settings as the new provider will not push your service books email.

Or just some "weird" things you did on your phone

Go to Setup > E-Mail Accounts. Then choose Internet Mail Accounts (or Enterprise Accounts). There you should see all your email accounts (may requires login). Click Menu, and select Service Books. Click Send Service Books.

Or usually when you restart or battery pull your phone, the carrier will push the service books on to your phone

- Charles
    03-12-12 07:17 PM
    Lets explain a way to cloose your account.

You can delete the service books that is associated with your email account. Doing so basically removes the icon but your actual email is still in the phone.

You switch to another SIM card which might loose all your email settings as the new provider will not push your service books email.

Or just some "weird" things you did on your phone

Go to Setup > E-Mail Accounts. Then choose Internet Mail Accounts (or Enterprise Accounts). There you should see all your email accounts (may requires login). Click Menu, and select Service Books. Click Send Service Books.

Or usually when you restart or battery pull your phone, the carrier will push the service books on to your phone

- Charles
    Okay, next time it happens - but I followed your chain Setup>>> but menu did not bring up Service Book. I did see an email address and it wanted a Password. Hopefully, backing out at that spot did not inactivate them again on bis!

I should add (bis is still working) that one account did disappear from bis yesterday. Gone both on the phone and on the bis site whereas my others were still there. So I lost my filters for that one account. Those darn filters are not easy to setup as they only take a limited number of email addresses per line and so you need to keep creating additional filters if you have more friends (and enemies).

I am sure that I have updated the OS on the 8830WE and Tour a few times and did not lose my email accounts but then those were OS 4 and 5 and no bbid was in place. I think I updated the 9650 but I don't recall and still stuck with OS5 on it, too.

But thanks for your help.
    Last edited by F2; 03-12-12 at 08:01 PM.
    03-12-12 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD