View Poll Results: Does BBM Location Work for you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it works for me.

2 13.33%
  • No it doesn't.

13 86.67%
    Doesn't work for me and I found a half dozen threads to suggest this doesn't work for anyone.

If everyone could take a minute to check, that would be great!

BBM -> Select BBM User -> Menu -> Send Location

NOTE: You must have both BBM 5.0 and BlackBerry Maps installed, and your GPS Services settings must be set to 'Location On'.
    01-11-10 02:13 PM
    Negative for me. It has never worked.
    01-11-10 02:16 PM
    I also have never gotten this to work. I have tried with my gps on/off and wifi on/off. Doesn't seem to work. It just says "searching for satellites" and then "unable to retrieve location." Too bad. I wonder if anyone here knows the trick to get it working??
    01-11-10 02:34 PM
    Just tried... didnt work...
    01-11-10 05:35 PM
    It may not work on networks that turn off the GPS feature.
    01-11-10 05:44 PM
    it wont work...its been broke since early BBM 5 builds. It worked on the 4.7 BBM builds though. Hopefully they fix it soon
    01-11-10 05:48 PM
    what does this do?????
    01-11-10 05:53 PM
    It may not work on networks that turn off the GPS feature.
    No networks do that anymore.
    01-11-10 06:32 PM
    Were you guys inside when you tried this out? I also had the same issue before and then after some research, I realized that the GPS doesn't work indoors in most cases. Go outside to a relatively open space, ie not really close to any buildings and then go to options - advanced - gps - and then hit the bb key and select refresh GPS. Wait until you see the gps info refresh. Once you see this then you will confirm that you have a gps signal and then you should be able to send your gps location using bbm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 06:37 PM
    No networks do that anymore.
    Ahhh. Damn. I got so used to not having GPS because Verizon wanted me to pay for VZNavigator on my 8830, that I just accepted that I still didn't have it. Hah.
    01-11-10 07:51 PM
    Hasn't worked since 4.7

I've tried outside and inside... no go.. still broke.
    01-11-10 07:56 PM
    I agree. I've been outside at least 100 feet away from anything taller than an anthill and verified BB Maps, Google Maps, and refresh GPS all works, and it just won't work in BBM.

Any ideas?

01-11-10 08:27 PM
    I agree. I've been outside at least 100 feet away from anything taller than an anthill and verified BB Maps, Google Maps, and refresh GPS all works, and it just won't work in BBM.

Any ideas?

install BBM 4.7....
    01-11-10 08:35 PM
    install BBM 4.7....
    Lol you're funny.

But BBM 5.0's killer feature is Groups. I use them all the time with my team.

I used Google Latitude. It kinda works.

01-11-10 08:37 PM
    groups do nothing for me, run the battery down and slow the phone down too.
    01-11-10 08:45 PM
    Lol you're funny.

But BBM 5.0's killer feature is Groups. I use them all the time with my team.

I used Google Latitude. It kinda works.

Groups may be a killer feature, but the feature which kills BBM5 is memory leaks. Until the leaks are confirmed as resolved it ain't going on my device.
    01-12-10 08:46 AM
    It doesn't work for me either but I found a work around (bit of a hassle but has helped me a few times when giving directions) - if you open up BBMaps you have the option to send location, you can then chose "To Messenger", select the contact and then bam, they have BBMaps link of your location.
    01-12-10 09:09 AM
    You can always open up BlackBerry maps and send location from there. I mean, don't get me wrong, its bs that it doesn't work from inside bbm. But if you must send your location, do it that way.

01-12-10 10:26 AM
    Agreed, it's annoying especially considering I don't like BBMaps...but I'm also wondering if its the same thing, i.e. if the send location worked in BBM would it just be a link to BBMaps? I wish I could default Google Maps. Oh well.
    01-12-10 11:44 AM
    Groups may be a killer feature, but the feature which kills BBM5 is memory leaks. Until the leaks are confirmed as resolved it ain't going on my device.
    Really? You think the leaks are that bad that you don't have BBM5 installed? lol
    01-12-10 11:56 AM
    install BBM 4.7....
    Ha let's install OS 4.2 while we're at it

01-12-10 12:59 PM
    Really? You think the leaks are that bad that you don't have BBM5 installed? lol
    Especially .57 Once the first few kinks were worked out, BBM has worked well for me, no real memory leaks to speak of. Hmmm.
    01-12-10 01:13 PM
    I have 5 BBM Groups and I've only dropped about 2.5 mb in 7 hours. Don't believe the hype.
    01-12-10 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD