i was considering putting my bbm barcode on my personal cards. then i wondered if the barcode ever changes? does it change when i change my display name? what if i change devices?

any thoughts would be great
    04-04-10 05:27 PM
    Mine has changed every time I update my BBM.
    04-04-10 05:58 PM
    Your barcode does not change..its generated by your PIN.. The only way it is going to change is if you get a new phone because you will not have the same pin..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 06:13 PM
    Your barcode does not change..its generated by your PIN.. The only way it is going to change is if you get a new phone because you will not have the same pin..

oddly, if i tyope my PIN into the facebook bbm barcode app, it comes up different to my image on my phone (bbm>options>my profile) and the one on my phone works for sure, havent been able to try the one on facebook, but just a little odd
    04-04-10 06:41 PM
    Actually the barcode on your phone changes every time you try to display it. You can decode it with a online QR barcode decoder, and I believe the barcode contains your PIN plus some extra digits. I'm not sure what those digits are for though.
    04-04-10 06:56 PM

Never thought of this but good point. It's not a great idea to add your PIN barcode on your business card but probably a maybe a barcode of your email.
    04-04-10 07:20 PM
    Just scan the one on your computer and add yourself to check that it works!

04-05-10 05:12 AM
    I don't think it changes when you change your username and status but i am sure it will change if your pin changes.
    04-05-10 07:24 AM
    My barcode changes each and everytime I display the barcode. Seems to be generated using the User Info, PIN and a seed generated by the system time or something like that.
    04-05-10 07:28 AM
    the only time your barcode will change is when you get a different phone with a different PIN number.
    04-05-10 07:38 AM
    The INFO contained in the qr code only changes when your PIN changes. However, the extraneous bits and the LOOK of the barcode changes all the time.

As to if its a good idea to put the image on your business card, why not? The pertinent info pertaining to YOUR PIN and berry should be the same no matter what the barcode looks like to the naked eye, no?
    04-05-10 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD