06-23-11 05:26 AM
82 ... 234
tools
    I'm not seeing any thing new from RIM just the different kind of BlackBerry devices!
    They should create something big!
    Something big, hummm ..... like the phone wiping for you or feeding your dog or what is your idea of something big? Big speakers?
    06-22-11 08:46 AM
    I'm not seeing any thing new from RIM just the different kind of BlackBerry devices!
    They should create something big!
    For RIM the Playbook WAS something Big, and now they need to get back to what they do best and that is make Blackberry phones.

Something big, hummm ..... like the phone wiping for you or feeding your dog or what is your idea of something big? Big speakers?

Well for me Something BIG would be make a hot swappable battery in the next Blackberry line, it is something others don't have, it add very much to the "always on" mentality.

I'd also like to see RIM create a industrial Blackberry, make it slightly larger than the 8330 using today's technology that would allow them 5-6mm of internal padding/sealing to make a blackberry that was water resistant and shock resistant, it wouldn't be a killer seller, but it would probably sell like the Style did, but make it use the same OS as the comparable curve so OS and App development is on par with the most popular device.
    06-22-11 09:23 AM
    For RIM the Playbook WAS something Big, and now they need to get back to what they do best and that is make Blackberry phones.

Well for me Something BIG would be make a hot swappable battery in the next Blackberry line, it is something others don't have, it add very much to the "always on" mentality.

I'd also like to see RIM create a industrial Blackberry, make it slightly larger than the 8330 using today's technology that would allow them 5-6mm of internal padding/sealing to make a blackberry that was water resistant and shock resistant, it wouldn't be a killer seller, but it would probably sell like the Style did, but make it use the same OS as the comparable curve so OS and App development is on par with the most popular device.
    **** yeah, I would jump on that, add a color eink screen to it for loooong battery life too. This+PlayBook would be ideal combination.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 09:37 AM
    Does a consumer line need a PIN or a "Blackberry Data Plan" at all. Why not just a data plan like the other devices? Why shouldn't you be able to BBM from your Playbook via wi-fi? Why shouldn't there be a native app for e-mail that doesn't need to contact RIM servers? Yes, that is what they are known for, but consumer space doesn't care. Imagine if only the persons who needed the security used Blackberry Bridge? Imagine if they had come out the gate with this different way of doing things on the Playbook? I think the Playbook may have had better press if nothing else. The phones wouldn't be far behind and, quite frankly, this would be a totally different discussion.
    Again, RIM's first customer priority and their main base is business/government, not consumer. RIM has to get every device that they want to sell to business/government to be FIPS approved, and you get that same device whether you are a consumer or government. Consumers can use RIM devices, and probably don't need that level of security, but it has to be there. Building a totally separate OS for consumer and government would cause issues in that they would diverge and consumer customers would want features only in the government, and government features on in the consumer. Keeping everything in one line is a better model from a support and R&D view.

You will see more features added to the Playbook once they get the crypto Kernel FIPS approved. That same crypto kernel can then be used in QNX for the phones. BBM is done through BIS or BES, so the Playbook will need to talk to them to do BBM, and they won't let the Playbook talk to BES, and probably BIS, until they get the crypto kernel certified. They are transitioning from PIN to BlackberryID, but they still have to support PIN for some time during the transition. BBM is tied to BIS/BES, iMessage will be tied to and rely on the iCloud infrastructure.
    06-22-11 02:41 PM
    I respectfully understand everything you are saying. But, you are basically saying they can't make a consumer line separate from a business and/or government line? That is like saying SONY and Panasonic can't make professional broadcast equipment and consumer devices at the same time (which they do). If they are going to let what you state be their guide, it would be better for everyone (RIM included) if they just concede the consumer space and do an IBM.
    I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying it wouldn't be efficient or smart. Will Apple and Google make a government or security line of devices? No Apple is trying, and has been trying to get iOS4 FIPS approved since it came out and they have gone nowhere in the process. I don't see General Dynamics offering consumer smart phones even though they make classified ones. RIM will continue to have the security, and with QNX hopes to have the web, media and app capability that consumers want and demand now. They've added in consumer features into BBOS over the years, but its a mess now and RIM is switching to QNX to provide both worlds.
    06-22-11 03:23 PM
    BlackBerry is still a good phone it just is not the best out there now. BlackBerry's have very good battery life & the software on the most part is stable. If you notice that a lot of people on this forum are using there blackberry's & not computers. It is convent to walk around the house or watch tv & surf the net. Don't get me wrong I use a computer to but it is easier to have that Berry in your hand or pocket.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 10:15 PM
    Maybe if you don't have older eyes you do that. If I'm at home it's my lappy.
    06-23-11 05:26 AM
82 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD