01-10-11 11:35 AM
45 12
tools
    for those worried about forgetting their passwords (or just employing weak password complexity) on their BB or computer or wherever, i wrote up a blog post for my work on my password strategy.

Password Security – sing a song, save some stress

have a read.
    10-22-09 09:38 AM
    I definitely password protect. I keep a lot of business and personal information on my phone, so security is a must to me.

if it is wiped what os will be on the phone? Right now I am runnning 5.0 if it was stolen and the theif couldn't figure out the password and it was reset would it go back to the orginal os?( just wondering no reason or anything behind my question.)
    The phone will keep the same OS, just personal data is wiped. The OS doesn't revert, or change.
    10-22-09 10:06 AM
    I think passwording your BB is imperative...especially w/ factory apps like password keeper...all of this info is worth putting a nice solid password in your phone.
    10-22-09 10:12 AM
    i def password protect
    10-22-09 10:16 AM
    It would however be somewhat inconvenient to password it because the password has to be long.
    I've always password protected my Blackberry. I feel it just makes sense to portect all the information I store in my Blackberry.

Besides, It would be more if an "Inconvenience" if someone got a hold of my personal/privite information then it would be to type in a password.
    10-22-09 10:35 AM
    Yes 10 char

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm being very sincere in asking this: what kind of entropy does 10 characters give you over say 5? At 10 failed attempts before a wipe, there isn't a way for someone to guess a 5 character password, or most likely a well chosen 4 character one. (Doesn't include 1111, asdf, etc.)
    10-22-09 02:01 PM
    i just lock my berry by pressing the star key. then when i want to unlock it i press star and send key. maybe in the near future, i might password protect it. haven't thought of the password yet.
    10-22-09 06:24 PM
    Not yet, maybe when I start using a Wallet App.

The biggest thing I miss from my iPhone is the 1Password app. It's a beautiful thing.
    10-22-09 06:39 PM
    No. Because if i did, and then forgot the password 10x's and then came on here and said...

"Oh Man, can anyone help me? My Tour just wiped itself after trying to put in my password 10x's and forgot it! I never backed up, and I cant get my contacts, emails, sms', calendar, pics of my dog and that cool PITS TO CHEST AX commercial I had on video"

Then all of Crackberry, its affiliates, vendors, competition and ALL of their family members would stand and point and laugh at me!

So, NO, I don't password protect my blackberry!
    10-22-09 07:02 PM
    I should get back into protecting mine because I realized that I have some really private info on there, but having to unlock my phone when I just wanna send out a quick text will become a pain
    10-22-09 08:27 PM
    Finally password protected mine, its a year old.

Now where did I stick that post-it note?
    10-23-09 02:12 AM
    Set a password in my new bb today as I got robbed early this month.. damn it.
    11-26-10 05:10 AM
    No. Because if i did, and then forgot the password 10x's and then came on here and said...

"Oh Man, can anyone help me? My Tour just wiped itself after trying to put in my password 10x's and forgot it! I never backed up, and I cant get my contacts, emails, sms', calendar, pics of my dog and that cool PITS TO CHEST AX commercial I had on video"

Then all of Crackberry, its affiliates, vendors, competition and ALL of their family members would stand and point and laugh at me!

So, NO, I don't password protect my blackberry!

Yeah so true once I used pasword on my berry because my girfried was reading my messages got angry and i did put it on after an hour came back and forgot which password i used damm i was so angrym but Unlocked it after 8 trys man only 2 more and everything would go bin
    11-26-10 06:25 AM
    i advice u to run a back up every while , and not to password lock ur phone , cz incase u write ur pass wrong between 3 to 10 times , u lose all ur day

(i already lost all my data when i forget my phone locked next to a sweet kid :P he return the phone back to me wiped )
    11-26-10 06:42 AM
    I use my phone so much that it's got a lot of personal data in there. Right now I always just key-lock it after every use but am wondering if I should password protect it just incase I loose the phone.

It would however be somewhat inconvenient to password it because the password has to be long.
    at first i thought it would be inconvenient, but i got used to it.

its also perfect for those people who think that searching through my contacts/photos/bbm/facebook is ok. =S
    11-26-10 07:13 AM
    Interesting question and trend in the answers. Seems most of us do use a password. My wife and I use the same password on our BlackBerrys. Just in case either needs to unlock the other's device. I have password locked mine for years. It just seems proper with so much personal data on the phone.

We also set our password failure wipes down to 5 attempts. And her BlackBerry is on my corporate BES so I can remote wipe if the phone is discovered missing. I am always about 5 minutes away from being on my BES to do this wipe if necessary.

I think it is pretty simple to do and really does not take much time to unlock to do something either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-10 09:23 AM
    I have a password on turning BBerry on.
    i tried the password after keylock but it was a hassle.
    so i removed it.
    11-26-10 09:30 AM
    I have a strange question. I have a 16 month old that aways seems to end up with my phone. How likley would it be for her to be able to use up the 10 attempts. She doesn't get it much but I don't want her to be able to wipe my phone with her first attempt.
    Any thoughts?
    12-30-10 12:22 PM
    I do not password protect.
    12-30-10 04:01 PM
    for those that dont password protect it, i wouldnt want to to steal your info but if i found your device i would probably delete all of your emails (from server) and then wipe your device so you would have to start for scratch then maybe you would learn i could have done much more. Or i would give it back to you password protected and then let you have to wipe it.
    i may even see if you have any embarrassing pics and send off a mass sms message to your contacts =)
    01-10-11 11:35 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD