01-10-11 11:35 AM
45 12
tools
    I use my phone so much that it's got a lot of personal data in there. Right now I always just key-lock it after every use but am wondering if I should password protect it just incase I loose the phone.

It would however be somewhat inconvenient to password it because the password has to be long.
    10-10-09 02:05 PM
    You get used to putting your password in pretty quick.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 02:22 PM
    I always did. It's a bit of a hassle but well worth it.
    10-10-09 02:32 PM
    in the event that I loose it, how easy would it be for someone who finds it to crack the password anyways?
    10-10-09 02:42 PM
    It'd be near to impossible for someone to crack the password. This is why BlackBerry is truly a business phone and why so many corporate people use them.
    10-10-09 02:49 PM
    The blackberry devices have 2048 bit encryption code for passwording and this is virtually impossible to hack.

The down side is the thief can try your password up to 10 times or less, depends on your settings as you can set it from 1-10 tries. Of they will fail if they have no idea what it is and then the phone will get wiped out or have to be wiped out before they can use the phone. This is a good thing of course, but they will still be able to use the phone without your data being retrievable.

If you phone is lost or stolen you can call RIM up and have the PIN number be blocked WORLD wide this way the thief is buggered from using the phone anywhere in the world. Make sure you tell your provider in the first place so they can block the phone from their service.

I password my phone and neve have looked backed.
    10-10-09 03:09 PM
    At some point I realized that my phone had just as much personal information as my computer. It's way too important a device for me to not have a strong password.
    10-10-09 03:12 PM
    what happens if for some reason I totally forget the password and accidentally lock the phone up by typing it in wrong 10 times?
    10-10-09 03:20 PM
    what happens if for some reason I totally forget the password and accidentally lock the phone up by typing it in wrong 10 times?
    It will be wiped ...... so you better have a backup of all your data and third party apps.

10-10-09 03:31 PM
    After the tenth attempt, the 'berry will wipe itself back to its factory defaults. This mean your phone book, calender, memos, to do lists, contacts, PIN messages, third party apps and device memory etc will be irrevocably erased. In effect the phone is set to like it was when you first got it out of the box for the first time.

If you want to dig deeper into what gets wiped and how
    View Document
    Last edited by Yandar; 10-10-09 at 03:48 PM.
    10-10-09 03:40 PM
    I do too and the important stuff is in Password keeper with a different password.
    10-10-09 03:47 PM
    I think this is one case where the normal good password rules don't necessarily apply. If someone were asking me how to create a safe password for an online account (say your gmail account or some such), I'd never ever let someone use a phone number or the name of a sports team, etc. The reason is this can be easily obtained through some amount of social engineering a lot of times. It's a very bad practice also because of dictionary attacks.

On a phone however, you are protecting your phone from someone you don't know. You leave your phone at a bar and someone takes it. They don't know any personal information about you and thus can't use the social engineering tricks to obtain your password.

For example, the Phillies are my favorite sports team. Everyone I know knows this, and you can also find it all over the Internet, such as on Facebook, forums, and on and on. However, someone who ends up with my phone won't have the slightest idea to type in Phillies, let alone get it right in 10 tries.

This goes out the window if you think that your friends aren't trustworthy, or you work in secure environments like government, etc. My assumption is my friends will give me my phone back and are not trying to steal my personal information. I don't work in any environments where security is of a serious concern. Also, if you put anything identifying on your phone or your lock screen (mine says my name and reward if found), then someone can use the Googlenet to use the social engineering tricks.
    10-10-09 03:52 PM
    I have my password protected...and I wouldn't feel safe having it any other way...especially if you have alot of personal info on it, why wouldn't you?

The only hassel is when I'm listening to music and want to change songs, pause, or whatever I have to unlock it everytime. But thats just a small hassel compared to if you were to lose the phone with no password protection on it
    10-10-09 04:11 PM
    It will be wiped ...... so you better have a backup of all your data and third party apps.

And even in this situation, if you backed up your info while the password was enabled, when you restore your info, it'll restore the same password too!!
    10-10-09 04:13 PM
    And even in this situation, if you backed up your info while the password was enabled, when you restore your info, it'll restore the same password too!!
    Again, as in my previous post in this thread, I think this is one of those cases where the normal rules of password security go out the window.

Write the password down in your house somewhere! No reason not to.
    10-10-09 04:16 PM
    Yes your right, i forgot it would do so.

Better make a backup without the password..

But like someone already posted..... right the password down someone in your house .. like graffiti on the wall is so easy to do ..... so why not right your password down someone the king or queen sits ...
    10-10-09 04:55 PM
    ive had my tour since it came out, and today is the beginning of me locking my phone wih a password, u guys scared me a little lol..but thanks..better late then never lol.
    10-21-09 07:51 PM
    The blackberry devices have 2048 bit encryption code for passwording and this is virtually impossible to hack.

The down side is the thief can try your password up to 10 times or less, depends on your settings as you can set it from 1-10 tries. Of they will fail if they have no idea what it is and then the phone will get wiped out or have to be wiped out before they can use the phone. This is a good thing of course, but they will still be able to use the phone without your data being retrievable.

If you phone is lost or stolen you can call RIM up and have the PIN number be blocked WORLD wide this way the thief is buggered from using the phone anywhere in the world. Make sure you tell your provider in the first place so they can block the phone from their service.

I password my phone and neve have looked backed.
    blocking the pin doesn't render it useless totally. just from the use of BIS and BBM, which are essential tools to a BB. only the carrier can block phone calls and texts
    10-21-09 10:01 PM
    I just use key-lock. Never used a password before.
    10-21-09 10:02 PM
    Password protected all the time and I use RoBlock so if it lost
    or stolen I can remotely it and the memory card.

I owe it to my family, friends, coworkers, etc to do what I can
    to make sure their info doesn't fall into the wrong hands.
    10-21-09 10:25 PM
    After having my Bold stolen i have put a password on every BB ive had. I also got the phone blocked and pin rendered useless, but still they got private information that they never should have got. It makes me so mad. At least they cant be an identity theif, i never got that much private info on my phone.
    10-21-09 10:50 PM
    I use password on my phone. I hate when people go through my phone (yes some people actually snoops into my phone - I'm not kidding)

10-22-09 02:21 AM
    Yes 10 char

10-22-09 03:08 AM
    Its totally worth it, i have caught someone going through my phone after that i started locking my phones
    10-22-09 07:48 AM
    if it is wiped what os will be on the phone? Right now I am runnning 5.0 if it was stolen and the theif couldn't figure out the password and it was reset would it go back to the orginal os?( just wondering no reason or anything behind my question.)
    10-22-09 08:32 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD