I was wondering if I need to get a messaging plan in order to use BBM, or does the data cover that? Also, is BBM free for any BlackBerry? Let's say my friends mostly have Verizon and I have at&t, is that all free?

It won't let me post links. I'm looking at the BlackBerry Data Only plan for at&t.
    01-11-10 08:48 PM
    Its all data and you dont need a messaging plan, and yes its free for all blackberrys if you have a data plan.
    01-11-10 08:52 PM
    The BlackBerry Messenger uses data. There is no additional charge for it. SMS would have an additional charge if you do not add a messaging plan.

BBM lets you send messages to any BlackBerry user. You can even send messages to someone in another country from your country without any additional charges.
    01-11-10 08:53 PM
    Its all data and you dont need a messaging plan, and yes its free for all blackberrys if you have a data plan.
    Couldnt have said it better myself!! Lol.... Agreed!
    01-11-10 08:56 PM
    Thanks for the answers

The Data Only plan for at&t is $34.99 a month and pretty much everyone I talk to has a BlackBerry so this will save me a lot of money (being a broke college student really blows)

I'll probably add 200 messages just in case though, but I doubt I'll text anymore since practically everyone I talk to has a BlackBerry.
    01-11-10 08:56 PM
    What about other IM clients like AIM? Is that included with the data package or do those count as SMS messages?
    01-11-10 09:29 PM
    Because the BB uses a third party, web based AIM client, it's included in the data plan and does not require a messaging plan to cover the usage.
    01-11-10 09:34 PM
    I've been looking around the forum for a bit and it seems everyone uses Yahoo IM. Is AIM included in the data or would I have to download that?

Sorry for all the questions
    01-11-10 09:43 PM
    You have to download whatever messaging client you want to use, but they're usually free.
    01-11-10 09:44 PM
    Are you trying to get a BB without a data plan?
    01-11-10 10:51 PM
    I'm planning on getting a BlackBerry with a data only plan from AT&T. I'll probably add 200 messages for $5 just in case I need to text, but mostly everyone I know owns a BlackBerry so this data only plan will save me a lot of money. I don't need a voice plan because I hardly ever talk on the phone. $34.99+$5+tax a month for a BlackBerry sounds good to me, especially since I'm a broke college student :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 07:58 AM
    Wow. Interesting to me was someone getting a BB without a voice plan - just data. I can see that.

I wonder if this will become a trend with younger generations - no talking, just texting/BBMing/IMing....
    01-12-10 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD