Hi

I am a new user to the BBM on my bold. I have always used the windows live application. My question is to privacy. If I add a contact that does not have my blackberry phone number on the BBM will they then have access to my number and information?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    09-13-09 02:06 PM
    When you add a contact to BlackBerry Messenger that contact will only have your PIN and your BBM name.

They don't get access your phone number or other info.

They can, however, see when you have read their message. They can also see when you are on the phone and what you are listening to if you have those options enabled.
    09-13-09 02:08 PM
    No - don't worry. The only info they will have is your BBM name. However if you send them a PIN msg not a BBM then I believe that they will see your registered owner name if they are not set up as a contact in your address book.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 02:09 PM
    ... see when you are on the phone and what you are listening to if you have those options enabled.

What do you mean by..."What you are listening to"? I've never heard of this before.

09-13-09 02:15 PM
    What do you mean by..."What you are listening to"? I've never heard of this before.

Open BBM
    Menu
    Options
    Allow Now Playing presence status: YES/NO

i think this is a new feature on BBM 4.7 and higher. Someone correct me if i'm wrong about that.
    09-13-09 02:18 PM
    No - don't worry. The only info they will have is your BBM name. However if you send them a PIN msg not a BBM then I believe that they will see your registered owner name if they are not set up as a contact in your address book.

What is the difference between a PIN message and BBM? And thanks so much for the quick response!!
    09-13-09 03:04 PM
    What is the difference between a PIN message and BBM? And thanks so much for the quick response!!
    BBM is essentially IM between blackberry users.

PIN messages are emails between blackberry users.

Both of these use RIM's servers instead of yahoo's or google or whoever you get your IMs and emails from.
    09-13-09 03:40 PM
    BBM is essentially IM between blackberry users.

PIN messages are emails between blackberry users.

Both of these use RIM's servers instead of yahoo's or google or whoever you get your IMs and emails from.
    Ok I know I am probably having a complete peroxide moment but does that mean as long as I add the person with a PIN and not an email address that they will not see my information? Sorry to be a pain.....and Thanks
    09-13-09 03:57 PM
    Ok I know I am probably having a complete peroxide moment but does that mean as long as I add the person with a PIN and not an email address that they will not see my information? Sorry to be a pain.....and Thanks
    Not being a pain. It is hard to grasp.

It doesn't matter how you add someone to BBM, they only see your PIN and whatever name you provide in the BBM application. When you message someone and add them to your list, they can see whether your message is delivered and read and if the person is available or not. Add me 20ef3a2b and you can see.
    09-13-09 04:10 PM
    Thanks so much everyone big help!
    09-13-09 04:24 PM
    Open BBM
    Menu
    Options
    Allow Now Playing presence status: YES/NO

i think this is a new feature on BBM 4.7 and higher. Someone correct me if i'm wrong about that.
    Thank you for the response - one more question.

What exactly is 'Now Playing' presence?

Thanks!

09-14-09 03:33 PM
    Your BBM contacts will be able to see what you're listening to when using the BlackBerry's Media Player.

i love that feature as well as the on the phone status. But i'm nosey!

09-14-09 04:02 PM
    Ha ha!! That's funny . I've never even heard of that before - I had to go check it out after I read your post!!

Thanks for the info

09-14-09 04:20 PM
    So glad to find the answer! Thanks!
    05-12-11 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD