I have two questions really.

To start...I will be getting a curve with just the BIS unlimtied plan.

1) If I have a IMAP/POP email account that does not use a secure server (my university email does not use secure server connections like gmail does) will my email all come in and be sent out unencrpyted? Basically if 'somehow' someone was sitting next to me sniffing my incoming and outgoing packets from my phone, would they be able to read my email or does it still get encrypted and sent to blackberrys server when i send and do i still recieve it encrypted from blackberry and have my phone decrypt it?

2 (the question regarding the subject)- With the BIS plan will I be able to use my digital certificate to send/receive encrypted and/or digitally signed emails?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I want you to know i really did search these forums/google up and down for about 15 min but couldn't find an answer for this that dealt with the BIS plan, just the BES....which is not something I'm going to be using.
    04-21-08 02:57 PM
    bump

I have same issue, using verizon and made a certificate for my vzw.blackberry.net. Anyway we can digitally sign emails using blackberry?
    11-15-08 06:46 PM
    bumping up
    11-15-08 07:23 PM
    bump bump bump
    12-02-08 10:30 AM
    Has there been any progress in figuring this out?

I have a digital identity certificate that I have installed on my 9630 (different forum, I know) via the S/MIME installer for the Desktop Manager. I am able to attach certificates to an e-mail but am unable to digitally sign any e-mail...

Any thoughts/updates?
    07-22-09 05:19 PM
    Any new news on this, this would be helpful. HELP!
    08-31-09 04:27 PM
    Just found this thread, and figured I'd provide an answer. After googling, I have found out that a BES is necessary to send encrypted messages. Once you're on a BES, you can click the trackball and choose the "S/MIME [encrypt]" option.

If you are connected to a BES, you need to make sure you install S/MIME support.
    09-12-09 01:19 AM
    I'm surprised after all these years there isn't a FREE small email application I could install that would use openPGP public/private keys with say google as the server.

At present, if I want to send encrypted email, I have to use my desktop, where it's as free as the dust that collects on piano.

Odd really. I imagine Android(open source) would have such a system. I have BIS, but recently when my phone boots it says "Enterprise...", maybe it's just because I have so much security turn on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-11 06:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD