10-07-11 12:21 PM
76 1234
tools
    should there be a calendar that actually says Device Default Calendar?
    I only have the FB, my two gmail accts and my work acct which is tied into outlook...
    No, there doesn't necessarily need to be one. It has appeared for me when I upgraded the OS so I had multiple entries showing (the entries on it were also on another calendar). The easiest way to get rid of it is to either move the entries to another calendar or delete them. Once the device default calendar has no entries it disappears.
    12-10-09 12:39 PM
    Thanks...I ended up wiping the device because it had everything default to facebook even though I had nothing setup to sync my calendar to fb....phone needed a holiday cleaning anyways
    12-10-09 12:41 PM
    Just an update.....my default calendar went away with the BBM upgrade and was replaced by calendar called "Unknown"
    I recent service books, then deleted the mical ones again.

I deleted the BBM group I was in.
    I then only had one group left called unknown....no default calendar anymore?
    Ideas?
    It has to be google sync, but I had it working.
    Google sync was syncing my default calendar and when I connected it via usb it synced to outlook no problem (not using the google desktop app)
    12-19-09 07:50 AM
    bump...
    is it possible to move one entry from calendar a to calendar b on the device?
    can't figure it out....don't want all moved, just one.
    12-21-09 06:19 PM
    This was the best answer I found... and it worked for me! Here was my issue: I had calendar items populated in my device default calendar that matched my google calendar, thus showing duplicate entries all over my BlackBerry. This happened somehow using google sync. I signed out of google sync, then my google calendar entries were removed from my BlackBerry (but still existed in my online google calendar). To move the device default calendar entries into my google calendar, I went to calendar -> (menu) options -> typed MOVE, then clicked YES to move everything to my default calendar (google). I then, re-signed in to google sync, now everything is working magically again! No more duplicate entries! Everything is in google now!

See below for the BlackBerry answer:
    View Document

Scenario 1

You have two email account integrations with your BlackBerry Internet Service account, a user@gmail.com and user@yahoo.com account. You decide that you no longer want to have the user@gmail.com account associated to this BlackBerry smartphone. Upon removing the user@gmail.com integration, the associated Gmail service books are automatically removed from the BlackBerry smartphone. Within the Calendar application, you see entries associated to the user@yahoo.com account as well as entries now associated to the Device Default calendar. Since the Gmail service books have been removed, any associated calendar entries have been moved to the Device Default (base system) calendar and are now left with no service association which would prevent these entries from being synchronized with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. To merge these records with the user@yahoo.com calendar, you will need to complete the following steps:

Warning: This command will irreversibly move the calendar entries to one calendar. Please back up the BlackBerry smartphone prior to doing this.

Open the Calendar application.
    Press the menu key.
    Choose Options.
    Type MOVE on the keypad.
    You will be asked to move all appointments in the base system calendar. Choose YES to accept moving all entries in the Device Default calendar to the default active calendar.
    Perform a hard reset of the BlackBerry smartphone by taking the battery out while the BlackBerry smartphone is still powered on and placing it back in.
    This operation will move all calendar entries existing on the Device Default calendar to the calendar selected as the default calendar (CICAL) shown in Options > Advanced Options > Default Services.

Note : If prior to performing the MOVE command as stated above you decide to reintegrate the user@gmail.com account, the entries that were moved to the Device Default calendar will once again become associated to the user@gmail.com account once the user@gmail.com (CICAL) service book is received to the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Thanks, worked for me!
    12-29-09 08:34 PM
    Thanks doraemon96 for post #33. It worked and seems to be sticking!
    01-19-10 02:42 PM
    See my previous response. It is impossible to delete "Default Calendar" unless you delete all calendars, and I think that is not what you want to achieve.

If more than one calendar exists you can select which calendar is default, and you can delete any calendar you don't want by deleting its service book entry. If only one calendar exists then by definition it is also the default calendar.

"Default" is a magic word, because the default must always exist. Think of it like a pile of plates, there is always a "top plate" even if you remove and smash the top plate. The only way to not have a top plate is to destroy the pile.

I suspect you wish to delete the calendar which is currently tagged as default. If you delete the service book for the calendar which is the current default one of the other calendars will take its place as default calendar - so Default Calendar will still exist even if it's a different calendar from the default 10 minutes ago. Also be aware, if you resend service books the deleted ones will reappear, so it isn't really worth the effort to delete them - simply set the default you want and ignore the others like everyone else does.
    Ok I've been searching this since I switched from my Curve to the Tour 9630 last week. Duplicate calendars and contacts were easily remove with rset on the Curve. I'm using BES. So given your explination how in the heck do I get rid of the duplicate entries. I keep checking the box for the calendar I want, but the darn thing keeps coming back showing all calendars. What good is that now I have double entries for a single calendar. Also I got a double alert today because of two entries I'm guessing. So if I'm stuck with this stupid default do you have any magic to allow me to just see my BES synced calendar and one entry?
    01-26-10 06:42 PM
    Parc Ferme: your method works and seems most simple.

Just to add my experience:
    After your procedure a Google resync did not bring back the entries.
    I solved it in Google Sync: do reset calendar, confirm to delete entries (even though there are none anymore), then do a sync.

It works better than to sign out from Google Sync as that means deleting calendar AND contact entries from your device....I have many contact entries
    A reset calendar will leave your contacts untouched.
    Guatiao likes this.
    01-29-10 06:56 AM
    As a former Windows Mobile user and now a newbie to Blackberry, am I alone in thinking that this "multiple calendars" issue really stinks and shouldn't setting up a sync between your desktop and your BB be simpler?

I've attempted to follow this suggestions in this thread, but it worries me when there are over 4 pages of comments.

If there is a simple solution then please tell me what it is in simple words & pictures.

If you can also explain why I've got THREE separate icons for my email account with gmail. It feels like that's two too many.
    02-02-10 04:00 PM
    As a former Windows Mobile user and now a newbie to Blackberry, am I alone in thinking that this "multiple calendars" issue really stinks and shouldn't setting up a sync between your desktop and your BB be simpler?

I've attempted to follow this suggestions in this thread, but it worries me when there are over 4 pages of comments.

If there is a simple solution then please tell me what it is in simple words & pictures.

If you can also explain why I've got THREE separate icons for my email account with gmail. It feels like that's two too many.
    welcome aboard......I feel the same way!!!
    used winmobile and it was easier......
    Each calendar is tied into an email address.
    So if you have 3 emails on your device you will have a min of 3 calendars...
    Then there is the default calendar.
    What I did was whatever email you want to be your primary on your phone set that up first. That will be your default when entering in data, etc. in your calendar.

Also, there is the messages folder for all emails, the seperate email folder for each address and the third is probably one for the gmail plugin.
    The gmail plugin is their lame attempt to be able to label emails, archive, etc.
    02-02-10 04:07 PM
    Being a 2 weeks old newbee to blackberry, I understand you.

Each platform however has its quircks. I am very impressed however with BB and believe it really shows that they have a vast experience with a huge amount of users.

3 icons because, assuming you have one email BIS account: it is your combined inbox, you BIS inbox and your SMS inbox. Some want it all together and have one inbox and others want it separate. There are ways to hide it, of course.

Calendar
    In fact I have now learned a new trick and it goes as follows: the easiest way is to start with an empty calendar(s) (use DELETE PRIOR before syncing).

Set up your BIS accounts.

Go to Advanced Options, Service Books and delete all CICALS (these items were created for the BIS accounts you set up and are not needed). So now you only have your default device calendar.

Then install Google Sync for your calendar (and contacts). It will sync to your default calendar.
    02-03-10 12:50 AM
    welcome aboard......I feel the same way!!!
    used winmobile and it was easier......
    Each calendar is tied into an email address.
    So if you have 3 emails on your device you will have a min of 3 calendars...
    Then there is the default calendar.
    What I did was whatever email you want to be your primary on your phone set that up first. That will be your default when entering in data, etc. in your calendar.

Also, there is the messages folder for all emails, the seperate email folder for each address and the third is probably one for the gmail plugin.
    The gmail plugin is their lame attempt to be able to label emails, archive, etc.
    Thanks for your explanation, it sort-of makes sense. Think I'll enjoy the positive aspects of BB (push email, wealth of apps, decent battery life, etc) and accept that I'm still a BB newbie.
    02-03-10 12:51 AM
    doraemon96, your very first post and you gave instructions that fixed my calendar issue!!! Thank you SO much.

doraemon96's fix that worked for me was to open calendar, then options, then type "move" (no quotes). This moves the default calendar to whatever calendar you have set up in default services. In my case all my appointments for my comcast account ended up in the default calendar, so moving worked. I know there are a myriad of other issues (duplicates, etc.) so this won't fix those. Just wanted to clarify.
    03-12-10 08:50 AM
    I have the same problem - I have two email addresses, and apparently, I must have two calendars - but I'm unable to choose a default - the system always reverts to 'all calendars'. How to choose a default calendar and make it stay there???
    03-26-10 03:55 AM
    I used the solution posted by PARC FERME on 3-21-2009. It worked like a charm. I did the backups, but didn't need them.

After I cleared the calendars, I resynced them using Google sync. I now just have my Google calendar as the default, and I do not even have the option to "select calendar" because there is only one.
    04-23-10 09:03 PM
    Worked perfectly! Thank you, thank you!!
    05-16-10 03:08 PM
    YOU SHOULD BACKUP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE DOING THIS.

This is very easy.

I am assuming that you have two or more calendars on your device and you want the Default Calendar gone.

So, right now, your Calendar Options looks like this:

Calendar Options
    General Options

Calendars
    Default Calendar (go away!)
    Actual Calendar (keep this, it's tied to email address)

My setup: I have 1 gmail (google apps) account associated with my Blackberry. This means that I actually have two calendars, one called "Default" and one called "[my gmail account]". I only want the [my gmail account] calendar on my Blackberry. This is how you do it:

1. Connect BB to computer and launch the Desktop Manager application.
    2. Select Backup and Restore
    3. Select Advanced
    4. Select "Calendar" and "Calendar - All" from the right column and send them to the left column.
    5. After items have been backed up, select "Calendar" and "Calendar - All", then click "Clear" at the bottom of the window.

After doing this, you can disconnect the BB from the computer and you will no longer have a Default Calendar.

*Restore from backup - NOTE: I use gsync to sync my Calendar so I have not tested restoring events from the backup created in step 4 above, but I have to ASSume it will be seemless.

Just a quick question: When I am in the Options :
    General Options
    Calendars:
    facebook
    default: hotmail email account shows up

Neither of these calendars are my actual default calendar. I sync to my gmail account and I want that email to be my calendar default and my hotmail acouunt to be my email account.

Can I do this - I use to then my phone crashed and nothing has been right since...

Thanks!
    06-29-10 01:49 PM
    I used the Marc Ferme solution and it worked great to eliminate my default problem. However, I now have two email accounts, both with their own calendar, but I'm only getting a sync with one of them (and only one set of appointments). I do not use Google calendar; these are both Outlook calendars via POP accounts. I like the idea of having separate colors for each calendar that appears in my BB calendar. It all worked before I had to replace my device. Also, both calendars are indicated as "mapped" in Desktop Manager. How do I get the data for the missing calendar? Thx.

I realized I actually am getting all the info for both calendars, but it appears as though it is the same single calendar. There is no differentiation by color to indicate which calendar the appointment is associated with. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by MIT001; 07-15-10 at 04:24 PM.
    07-15-10 01:06 PM

This is very easy.

I am assuming that you have two or more calendars on your device and you want the Default Calendar gone.

So, right now, your Calendar Options looks like this:

Calendar Options
    General Options

Calendars
    Default Calendar (go away!)
    Actual Calendar (keep this, it's tied to email address)

My setup: I have 1 gmail (google apps) account associated with my Blackberry. This means that I actually have two calendars, one called "Default" and one called "[my gmail account]". I only want the [my gmail account] calendar on my Blackberry. This is how you do it:

1. Connect BB to computer and launch the Desktop Manager application.
    2. Select Backup and Restore
    3. Select Advanced
    4. Select "Calendar" and "Calendar - All" from the right column and send them to the left column.
    5. After items have been backed up, select "Calendar" and "Calendar - All", then click "Clear" at the bottom of the window.

After doing this, you can disconnect the BB from the computer and you will no longer have a Default Calendar.

*Restore from backup - NOTE: I use gsync to sync my Calendar so I have not tested restoring events from the backup created in step 4 above, but I have to ASSume it will be seemless.

I did this and after step 5 I no longer had a default calendar. But once I synced with OL 2002 I now have the DEFAULT plus my 3 other email adress calendars . All the data was placed in the DEFAULT calendar and the other 3 are empty

HELP
    09-29-10 12:25 PM
    I did this, and the device default calendar disappeared. But them when I restored it, it was back again! :-(
    I did this and when I restored the DEFAULT calendar was back again also Grr
    09-29-10 12:42 PM
    I have a slightly different issue with which I was hoping some could help me. I had to do a complete reinstall of my Blackberry OS. I use the default calendar as a Birthday and anniversary one and the normal gmail one. I prefer it that way because otherwise anniversaries get duplicated on my gcal due to the lack of labels support. (I have contact sync disabled)

After restoring settings I now only have the gcal even though the device default has entries. I tried deleting my email and re-adding, deleting service books and selective restore but I still cant seem to have both working side by side as they use to. every time I recreate my email address it establishes itself as the sole calendar. Was'nt the case before.
    11-03-10 05:09 AM
    I've been searching a long time for this solution. This worked great for me! Thanks so much!

Try THIS : it works !

Overview

If calendar entries are present across multiple calendars on the BlackBerry smartphone and only one calendar is intended to be used, perform the following tasks to merge the calendars.

Warning: This command will irreversibly move the calendar entries to one calendar. Please back up the BlackBerry smartphone prior to doing this.

If calendar entries exist on a Device Default calendar, complete the following steps:

1. Open the Calendar.
    2. Press the menu key.
    3. Choose Options
    4. Type MOVE on the keypad.
    5. You will be asked to move all appointments in the base system calendar. Choose YES to accept moving all entries in the Device Default calendar to the default active calendar.

This operation will move all calendar entries existing on the Device Default calendar to the active calendar shown in the Options > Advanced Options > Default Services.

If calendar entries are split between two BlackBerry Internet Service calendars, complete the following steps:

1. Go to Options > Advanced Options > Default Services
    2. Verify the correct email address is shown for Calendar (CICAL):
    3. Press the back arrow and save the changes if prompted.
    4. In the Advanced Options menu, choose Service Book
    5. Highlight the entry for the calendar you do not want. This will appear as email@domain.com [CICAL]
    6. Press the menu key and choose Delete

By deleting a CICAL, any calendar entries associated to it are moved to a Device Default calendar. This step can be repeated if additional calendars contain entries you want to move.

Once all desired entries have been moved to the Device Default calendar using the above steps, follow steps 1 through 5 at the beginning of the resolution area, then resend service books to the BlackBerry smartphone.

Service books can be resent to the BlackBerry smartphone by completing the tasks in KB02830.

If the calendar is synchronized to a computer with BlackBerry Desktop Manager software, the configuration for BlackBerry Desktop Manager will need to be reset and set up again before completing another sync. For more information on setting up synchronization settings, see KB17022.
    12-22-10 12:42 AM
    Try THIS : it works !

Overview

If calendar entries are present across multiple calendars on the BlackBerry smartphone and only one calendar is intended to be used, perform the following tasks to merge the calendars.

If calendar entries exist on a Device Default calendar, complete the following steps:

1. Open the Calendar.
    2. Press the menu key.
    3. Choose Options
    4. Type MOVE on the keypad.
    5. You will be asked to move all appointments in the base system calendar. Choose YES to accept moving all entries in the Device Default calendar to the default active calendar.

This operation will move all calendar entries existing on the Device Default calendar to the active calendar shown in the Options > Advanced Options > Default Services.

If calendar entries are split between two BlackBerry Internet Service calendars, complete the following steps:

1. Go to Options > Advanced Options > Default Services
    2. Verify the correct email address is shown for Calendar (CICAL):
    3. Press the back arrow and save the changes if prompted.
    4. In the Advanced Options menu, choose Service Book
    5. Highlight the entry for the calendar you do not want. This will appear as email@domain.com [CICAL]
    6. Press the menu key and choose Delete

By deleting a CICAL, any calendar entries associated to it are moved to a Device Default calendar. This step can be repeated if additional calendars contain entries you want to move.

Once all desired entries have been moved to the Device Default calendar using the above steps, follow steps 1 through 5 at the beginning of the resolution area, then resend service books to the BlackBerry smartphone.

Service books can be resent to the BlackBerry smartphone by completing the tasks in KB02830.

If the calendar is synchronized to a computer with BlackBerry Desktop Manager software, the configuration for BlackBerry Desktop Manager will need to be reset and set up again before completing another sync. For more information on setting up synchronization settings, see KB17022.
    Okay....I completed the CICAL deletion first and then merge the calendars together. A strange 'default calendar' icon showed up in the 'Options" view but once I saved my changes, it was gone the next time I verified my calendar accounts in options! Yeah.

Since I don't need the other calendar accounts associated with my 4 email accounts I did not follow the above instructions to resend the Service Books for those calendar. I synced a few times to make sure everything worked making sure that 'prompt me for deletions' was 'on'! I got a few duplicates but that was because there were dup entries in the new 'default calendar' of the previously merged calendars and not my 'main outlook calendar' that I maintain in Outlook on my PC. I did some minor clean up on both the device and the PC calendar and it works fine. I did not have to reset my Desktop Manager sync settings since I did not bring the unwanted calendars back (via Service Book)in the first place.

Thanks...it solved a huge problem for me since the email/calendar account that was being used as the unwanted default was not one I wanted to share with my work colleagues if you know what I mean!
    02-08-11 04:17 PM
    See my previous response. It is impossible to delete "Default Calendar" unless you delete all calendars, and I think that is not what you want to achieve.

If more than one calendar exists you can select which calendar is default, and you can delete any calendar you don't want by deleting its service book entry. If only one calendar exists then by definition it is also the default calendar.

"Default" is a magic word, because the default must always exist. Think of it like a pile of plates, there is always a "top plate" even if you remove and smash the top plate. The only way to not have a top plate is to destroy the pile.

I suspect you wish to delete the calendar which is currently tagged as default. If you delete the service book for the calendar which is the current default one of the other calendars will take its place as default calendar - so Default Calendar will still exist even if it's a different calendar from the default 10 minutes ago. Also be aware, if you resend service books the deleted ones will reappear, so it isn't really worth the effort to delete them - simply set the default you want and ignore the others like everyone else does.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have been wanting to get rid of all of the extra calendars for years! I've only ever used my BB calendar, so for me deleting the service book for the others is perfect. I don't mind having to go back & delete them again any time I upgrade my os or resend service books. I just wanted them gone!

Thanks so much!
    04-12-11 07:36 PM
    This thread has solved many many problems for me which have bugged me over years of BB use! Thanks especially to doraemon96 since this is the biggie for me.

Just a couple of comments.

BB OS5 up now includes sync as standard so GSync is not required, probably just as well since it is still beta after many years.

I still get a situation where sync suddenly stops for no reason. The only fix is to remove the BIS email account and re-add. Then a battery removal and all returns to normal but needs the magic doraemon96 fix.

I think it must be to do with the multiple changes that GCal and Google generally make without advising. Sighs. However it is still the ace system of all time BB + Gmail (GCal etc).

Any comments about the sync stopping anyone?
    08-12-11 05:02 AM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD