Hello,

I just got my new BB Bold 9650 and I am loving it!!! I came from a Curve 8330. My Curve 8330 was one great phone for my first BB. There is a learning curve to this new phone of mine....but so far....so good with figuring things out. Well......almost.

When I hit alt and the back button to see what apps I have running....the BB Messenger shows up. I do not have it installed for I have never and will never use it. I tried to uninstalled it from my Desktop Manager but it's "grayed out" and won't let me. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    06-20-10 05:25 PM
    it is one of the core programs that is always running on the device. while it is always running, it is not having any negative affect on your battery or the devices performance.

if you to to options then applications, change the third party drop down to Add On and you should see BlackBerry Messenger in this list. Click this, then click delete and then it will delete and ask if you want to reboot the device, select reboot and when it loads it should be gone.
    06-20-10 05:29 PM
    it is one of the core programs that is always running on the device. while it is always running, it is not having any negative affect on your battery or the devices performance.
    I disagree. I had issues with both a Tour and Storm using BBM. Freezes, inability to come back from sleep/lock, etc.

if you to to options then applications, change the third party drop down to Add On and you should see BlackBerry Messenger in this list. Click this, then click delete and then it will delete and ask if you want to reboot the device, select reboot and when it loads it should be gone.
    I go the other route. I remove it when I upgrade my OS (see: Shrink-A-OS). With the newest builds, you have to change "required" to "false" in the Blackberry.ALX text file.

I also remove languages, IM, and all the other unnecessary crap.
    06-20-10 05:36 PM

Hi drm2blv,

Thanks for the information. Mine is not in the "add on" but in the "Core". It won't let me delete it. Maybe I did something wrong when I was using Desktop Manager Application Loader.
    06-20-10 05:40 PM
    Lindros2 - if you don't ever use BBM, never create a name, add any contacts, start any conversation - there is no way it will slow down or decrease the performance of your device.
    06-20-10 06:19 PM
    Thank you EVERYONE for all your help.
    06-20-10 06:36 PM
    Actually I never used it but it added to drain..regardless...

Just download the upgrade from app world, the 5.0.0.57,and after you reboot that will but bbm in third party apps. Then you can use the process described by other user above to delete bbm. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 06:55 PM
    I cannot imagine not wanting BBM
    06-20-10 09:42 PM
    Whew! Me, either! It's one of the main reasons I HAVE a blackberry! I was beginning to think I was a little loony while reading this thread...
    06-20-10 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD