I am having a problem with assigning a special tone to blackberry messenger messages for specific people.

Here is what I have done:

I have created a NEW PROFILE, that is silent except for phone, and messenger-alert, and messenger-new, where I have it set to vibrate+tone, on high volume, for 1 beep, and 3 vibrations, with a specific ringtone that I verify exists and works on the device (Notifier_ChiGong).

I have created an exception for my family members. The exception has "Use Profile:" with the profile I created above, and has a custom phone tune for each family member. Each family member was assigned to this exception from my contacts.

When the family members call, I get their custom ringtone. When they messenger me with blackberry messenger, I get the tone assigned to my current profile (It doesn't seem to sense their exception).

(As an additional test, I have assigned the above profile as my main profile, and the special tone for messenger works fine.)

Model: 8110
    Carrier: AT&T
    Blackberry Messenger Version: 4.5.0

No matter what I have tried, I can not make this work. If there is an alternate way to assign different tones to different people when they messenger you, I am all ears. Heck, regardless, I am all ears!
    01-08-09 06:26 PM
    Has anyone successfully used profile exceptions to assign different tones to BB Messenger contacts?
    01-09-09 05:56 PM
    I have a feeling you cant, there isnt much you can do or change with BBM.
    01-09-09 06:03 PM
    Does anyone have any insight to this problem as I'm experiencing it too?
    06-20-09 03:04 AM
    I am also having this problem. I have made profiles and exceptions and they all work except for the blackberry messenger. Anyone have any help with this?
    07-02-09 11:39 AM
    Has anyone found a solution to the OP question? I too would like to assign a ringtone for a specific contact on BBM. I have a custom profile setup for them and everything in it works except BBM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it even possible to do?
    08-15-09 07:11 PM
    I still have not found an answer to this issue.

Is there a 3rd party app that will let you assign different sounds for different messenger contacts?

Also, if there is a way to do it with the native BB profiles and exceptions, I am all ears!
    09-11-09 02:30 PM
    Has anyone stumbled onto a solution for this issue? Thanks
    01-04-10 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD