03-27-11 10:05 PM
148 ... 3456
tools
    ROFL. Works like a charm.

Maybe for the first few hours after a battery pull.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 07:13 AM
    ROFL. Works like a charm.

Maybe for the first few hours after a battery pull.

I've had my 9700 for almost a year and never had to do a battery pull....what are some of you doing to your phone to require that is what I've been asking myself?

Stop buying apps from malicious third party app stores....prob solved!

03-24-11 07:49 AM
    I've had my 9700 for almost a year and never had to do a battery pull....what are some of you doing to your phone to require that is what I've been asking myself?
    Umm..installing ANY app perhaps? You're trying to say you've never pulled your battery? You have no other apps than what came on your phone? Because we all know you HAVE to do a restart after installing any app. Mmmmkay then..
    03-24-11 08:05 AM

Stop buying apps from malicious third party app stores....prob solved!

I have almost no apps. And most see from RIM.

I tend to multi task. Also I just find strange behavior starts after a few days. Battery pull clears that up. But that shouldn't be the case.

03-24-11 08:17 AM
    Umm..installing ANY app perhaps? You're trying to say you've never pulled your battery? You have no other apps than what came on your phone? Because we all know you HAVE to do a restart after installing any app. Mmmmkay then..
    That's not a battery pull. But it is annoying. All these phones have issues to be honest. My girlfriend does more battery pulls than I do with her galaxy S phone.

03-24-11 08:29 AM
    There aren't any BlackBerry's out that don't need a battery pull sometimes. But all devices have their own issues too. Android, iOS. None are perfect. The need for a battery pull is gone with QNX firmware though.

howarmat likes this.
    03-24-11 08:38 AM

I tend to multi task. Also I just find strange behavior starts after a few days. Battery pull clears that up. But that shouldn't be the case.

Ever thought maybe you're doing it wrong?
    Multitasking is one thing, never closing apps is another. Blackberry actually keeps all apps open in the backgorund, doesn't put them to sleep like an Iphone, not too sure about android.
    03-24-11 09:52 AM
    No but it gives me a superior mobile experience and more bang for the buck than any BB + PB combined.
    You may get a superior mobile experience but you don't get a superior ownership experience at least as measure in my eyes. Faster processor and bigger screen does not a better phone make.

03-24-11 10:26 AM

I'm finding myself multi-tasking more and more frequently. I've had no such issues on my Torch. Battery pulls for OS upgrades and deleting apps only; just once in six months was a pull needed to resolve 'abnormal' behavior.

03-24-11 10:50 AM
    I'm finding myself multi-tasking more and more frequently. I've had no such issues on my Torch. Battery pulls for OS upgrades and deleting apps only; just once in six months was a pull needed to resolve 'abnormal' behavior.

Most peple are not very good at multitasking, which is why one can't drive and text at the same time.

I have not had any issues with my s2. I often wonder why some people have tons of issues and other people no issues.

03-24-11 01:52 PM
    Maybe some people do a lot more intensive multitasking than you?

Multitasking on my 9700 was terrible (yes i got it when it first came out...blah blah blah the software is better now). It would come to a halt whole multitasking only a few things. I never had any problems with multitasking on Android. And even if iOS saves states to some apps but allows full multitasking with others, for me, it still does it much smoother than a BB and that's what matters.
    03-24-11 02:48 PM
    Maybe some people do a lot more intensive multitasking than you?

Multitasking on my 9700 was terrible (yes i got it when it first came out...blah blah blah the software is better now). It would come to a halt whole multitasking only a few things. I never had any problems with multitasking on Android. And even if iOS saves states to some apps but allows full multitasking with others, for me, it still does it much smoother than a BB and that's what matters.
    To my knowledge, iOS doesn't do full multitasking for any apps - they're all state-saved when not in use, at least on the iPhones.

Anyway, the point was not to see who does more multitasking, but rather that it can be done on a BB and not stumble over itself to the point that it requires a battery pull. How much multitasking is enough? 2 apps? 10 apps? Whatever I've thrown at this thing, it's yet to so much as hiccup because too many apps were running. Maybe older models had issues, but I know at least this one doesn't.

03-24-11 02:58 PM
    To my knowledge, iOS doesn't do full multitasking for any apps - they're all state-saved when not in use, at least on the iPhones.

Anyway, the point was not to see who does more multitasking, but rather that it can be done on a BB and not stumble over itself to the point that it requires a battery pull. How much multitasking is enough? 2 apps? 10 apps? Whatever I've thrown at this thing, it's yet to so much as hiccup because too many apps were running. Maybe older models had issues, but I know at least this one doesn't.

iOS multitasks apps like Pandora I believe. I don't see how music would continue to play if you leave the app.

That is great that the Torch doesn't come to a halt. It's about time there is a BB that doesn't.
    03-24-11 03:20 PM
    iOS multitasks apps like Pandora I believe. I don't see how music would continue to play if you leave the app.

That is great that the Torch doesn't come to a halt. It's about time there is a BB that doesn't.
    That's all I was trying to say.

Just for grins, I just opened up Backgammon, memopad, calendar, BB Appworld, BeWeather, contacts, facebook, TuneIn Radio playing in the background, and a couple of browser tabs open. Not even a hint of a lag.

But the battery does feel like it's getting a bit warm...

03-24-11 03:50 PM

It's actually dynamic for each app and what type it is. GPS ones are paused so as not to kill your battery polling GPS in the background. (they immeidately update the location once you're back to it) Others have pushed information sent to them from network triggers. Others continue to play music or whatever in the background. It's actually better I think because you're given the option to limit the apps access to certain APIs or hardware resources that don't need to be used when it's in the background and use battery power for no reason. The issue is not how they do their multitasking of apps, Apple's issues have always been how limiting they are on the functionality APIs they give access to in the background. As long as that list isn't restricted too much, this way of multitasking is much better in my opinion on a small smartphone device. On something with a bigger screen and large battery source, maybe you'd want what the PB offers for realtime multitasking.
    03-24-11 03:53 PM
    That's all I was trying to say.

Just for grins, I just opened up Backgammon, memopad, calendar, BB Appworld, BeWeather, contacts, facebook, TuneIn Radio playing in the background, and a couple of browser tabs open. Not even a hint of a lag.

But the battery does feel like it's getting a bit warm...

I have 22 open on my 9700 right now, no lag in sight, running Vodafone's official OS6

03-24-11 03:53 PM
    I am on OS 5. I usually have open a few tabs in opera, am reading emails, looking at twitter (RIM app), media player running some tunes, with berry weather in the background on a 30 min refresh. Also I have my work email on BES and 2 other accounts on BIS. And there is the occaional phone call or bbm. I am also usually on the train when doing this so transitioning from towers and ev do to 1x and back as you come under the river.

And I use app switcher like a fiend going back and forth. There usually is some level of lag.

Its great that some of you can open the apps. Now use them. Flip back and forth in app switcher and do stuff. See what happens.

BB6 is better I am sure.

03-24-11 04:08 PM
    My 22 are still open and no sign of lag yet.

03-24-11 05:11 PM

Let me guess, you're still getting 48hours worth of battery life right?
    03-24-11 05:44 PM

Are you actively using them? Its not about memory leaks. Its about multi tasking. And by task I mean to perform an action beyond opening the app.

03-24-11 06:39 PM
    Also for this evenings ride home you can add opening the BB browser and moving through a few pages there while doing all of the other stuff.

Oh and I have Meterberry running. Maybe that should be off. It was essential on storm 1 bit not so much on storm 2.

03-24-11 06:41 PM
    NVIDIA: Quad core can actually use less power than dual core | TechRepublic

Thought this was interesting....

Of note:
    I spoke separately with LG, which uses chips from TI, Qualcomm, and NVIDIA in its various smartphones. LG pointed out that its devices running the Tegra 2 are seeing the best battery life of the bunch.
    Last edited by The_Engine; 03-24-11 at 08:31 PM.
    03-24-11 08:29 PM
    The whole idea depends on writing the applications properly according to the article. This will cause more complexity in application development. Not every application is a good candidate for multi-threading across v-cpus.

Some examples of applications that manage multi-threading on an intel platform are Photoshop and winrar.

But we are still talking about phones with a limited battery life.
    03-24-11 09:17 PM
    Yes, but all the major players are releasing multi core hardware and supportive software. IPad2, various android devices, and QNX from RIM.

Also note the quote from LG where they are saying the Tegra2 stuff has the best battery life.

03-25-11 06:45 AM
    pad and playbook aren't used for voice calls and I thing the jury is out on the multi core battery life.

There are a host of factors including manufacturing technology that effects battery life but I'm not sold that dual two dual cores draw less power for the same work as a single core resulting in better battery life on a cell phone.

Time will tell though.

03-25-11 06:52 AM
148 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD