03-27-11 10:05 PM
148 ... 23456
tools
    Well I hope you do realise how ridiculous comparing a 3+ year old phone to the Atrix is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Very true.

03-23-11 08:36 AM
    I'm always told Android can do so much more but here's a list of what my 9700 manages 24hrs+ every day: yahoo messenger always on, same is google talk, whatup messenger, facebook chat, Vopium app. Facebook app pulls every hour, twitter every 30 minutes, News feeds every 30 minutes. 5 email accounts and bbm a lot. I also browse a minimum of 2 hours on my phone every day and listen to 60 minutes of podcast every morning. Wifi is always on too and gps location. I'm always on the move in my car and the phone changes from 3G to gprs many times during the day. I also receive 30+ phonecalls a day.

Could any Android manage that?

03-23-11 09:01 AM
    I'm always told Android can do so much more but here's a list of what my 9700 manages 24hrs+ every day: yahoo messenger always on, same is google talk, whatup messenger, facebook chat, Vopium app. Facebook app pulls every hour, twitter every 30 minutes, News feeds every 30 minutes. 5 email accounts and bbm a lot. I also browse a minimum of 2 hours on my phone every day and listen to 60 minutes of podcast every morning. Wifi is always on too and gps location. I'm always on the move in my car and the phone changes from 3G to gprs many times during the day. I also receive 30+ phonecalls a day.

Could any Android manage that?

my blackberry wouldnt even manage that without a charge probably.
    03-23-11 09:24 AM
    my blackberry wouldnt even manage that without a charge probably.
    I must say, my Storm 2 didn't manage that.

03-23-11 09:26 AM
    The 9000 did not have a very good battery life, the 9700 does.

Oh but I thought BB's were known for battery life?
    03-23-11 09:58 AM
    Flat out lie? Making stuff up? Instead of calling someone a liar why can't you accept there is going to be a world of different opinions.

I would believe his 'lies' over your 'truth'.

Typical CB response = little facts to back it up.

Before you even jump into this debate, how about you read every single Atrix review, browse the Atrix forums, and tally the great/good/bad battery life mentions.

But don't let facts get in your way. This is CB.
    03-23-11 10:00 AM
    Typical CB response = little facts to back it up.

Before you even jump into this debate, how about you read every single Atrix review, browse the Atrix forums, and tally the great/good/bad battery life mentions.

But don't let facts get in your way. This is CB.
    Actually I agree with you:

- A sample size of one is sufficient to make a broad generalization.
    - Uninformed, biased and myopic opinions are typically interperted as facts.
    - Only the 'other' guy doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
    03-23-11 10:25 AM
    Oh but I thought BB's were known for battery life?
    Do you even realise how old the 9000 is now? Unless I'm badly mistaken it came out before the first ever Android phone was launched, that old. It was Rim's second 3G phone. It would last 1 day on 3G, 3 days on gprs/edge.

03-23-11 11:42 AM
    Do you even realise how old the 9000 is now? Unless I'm badly mistaken it came out before the first ever Android phone was launched, that old. It was Rim's second 3G phone. It would last 1 day on 3G, 3 days on gprs/edge.

The 9000 hit AT&T in Nov of 2008 (TMO after that). The G1 hit TMO in Oct of 2008.
    03-23-11 11:51 AM
    The 9000 hit AT&T in Nov of 2008 (TMO after that). The G1 hit TMO in Oct of 2008.
    Well there you go, is anybody comparing the G1 to the Atrix?

03-23-11 12:01 PM

Thanks for proving that BB != great battery life. What happened was that RIM tried to be competitive and their battery life suffered. It's why current BB featurephone-like offerings get long battery compared to true high-end smartphones running Android.

I remember when my old flip phone back then lasted a whole week, because it did so little.
    03-23-11 12:39 PM
    The 9000 was never released on TMO. I liked the G1. I have a friend who still carries his and he bought it on launch. It's rooted and running 2.1.
    03-23-11 12:51 PM
    Thanks for proving that BB != great battery life. What happened was that RIM tried to be competitive and their battery life suffered. It's why current BB featurephone-like offerings get long battery compared to true high-end smartphones running Android.

I remember when my old flip phone back then lasted a whole week, because it did so little.
    Do you actually believe the stuff you write? The Atrix, if it does suffer from poor battery life, most likely does because of the screen (in relation to a phone like the 9000 or 9700) and the fact that many android manufacturers have decided battery optimization isn't a priority. I would guess most android users don't care much about battery life. One of the reasons I use a 9700 is that I do care about battery life.
    03-23-11 12:56 PM

The state of the art was different 3 years ago. You are right about one thing the atrix is high end but that doesn't translate into better, useful or more productive.

03-23-11 12:57 PM
    I actually love my battery life. Most days i have 75-80% left and I use my phone to text, do some web surfing, and play Holdem.
    03-23-11 01:21 PM
    The misconception is that the battery lasts longer bacause you do less on a blackberry, actually we do more, but different things, on ours, like more phone calls, IMs, Emails etc. Probably we don't watch as much video or play as much games but I use mine probably non stop

My passowrd is set to lock after 15 minutes and it NEVER locks during my working day.

03-23-11 01:54 PM
    The 9000 was never released on TMO. I liked the G1. I have a friend who still carries his and he bought it on launch. It's rooted and running 2.1.
    i believe it was released on TMO, maybe overseas only though
    03-23-11 02:30 PM
    i believe it was released on TMO, maybe overseas only though
    Good point. I was just thinking in the US.
    03-23-11 02:38 PM
    Ah, yes... C_X and i7guy come to rescue the pathetic Blackberry by spewing off the best BS they can both come up with.

C_X has become the biggest joke on this site with his constant sucking of RIM. The Atrix's battery life is perfectly fine, I don't know who you talk to but you need to find some smarter friends.

i7guy is like C_X's lapdog. The dude is a joke who claims to be some techie yet probably works at Burger King.
    And does your mommy know you're still up playing with your toys this late on a school night? Try being a little more respectful of those with differing opinions and maybe some day when you grow up somebody might take you seriously.

i7guy likes this.
    03-23-11 09:16 PM
    Ah, yes... C_X and i7guy come to rescue the pathetic Blackberry by spewing off the best BS they can both come up with.

C_X has become the biggest joke on this site with his constant sucking of RIM. The Atrix's battery life is perfectly fine, I don't know who you talk to but you need to find some smarter friends.

i7guy is like C_X's lapdog. The dude is a joke who claims to be some techie yet probably works at Burger King.
    And does your mommy know you're still up playing with your toys this late on a school night? Try being a little more respectful of those with differing opinions and maybe some day when you grow up somebody might take you seriously.

Forget about it, this is someone who has keenly developed social skills and who understands the fine art of debate and conversation.
    Last edited by i7guy; 03-23-11 at 09:31 PM.
    03-23-11 09:29 PM
    Forget about it, this is someone who has keenly developed social skills and who understands the fine art of debate and conversation.
    So I'm out of my league, huh? Damn.

03-23-11 09:50 PM

It isn't selling because of its "faux G" speeds are much worse than the with 3G.

That is the reason I returned mine.
    03-23-11 09:52 PM
    You and the others can cite all the reviews you would like, I'm citing people I know who have used the device and hate the battery life. Furthermore, 1950mAh battery with only 5hrs 3G web browsing(anandtech) surely isn't GOOD battery life, IMO, not for 1950mAh.

As for "the rest of what I had to say in my post" LTE is a killer on the battery and the only current LTE device isn't getting great battery life. I mean, there's a thread on android central for battery life complaints.
    Battery life on Android has never been good. Heck, even the iPhones before the 4 had bad battery life and it wasn't all just software. Honestly, I think the CDMA variant of the iPhone4 has slightly better battery life than the GSM counterpart. Like it or not, the more a smartphone can do, the more power it'll require. The only way to make it last longer is through outrageous software control and efficient hardware. This where RIM can improve upon other's designs. However, I hope that QNX allows them to do this because the current touchscreen devices they have are crap on battery life. And no, I don't consider the Torch a touchscreen because a lot of people use the trackpad and keyboard to operate it. This is why RIM put those things in the design. Those components are there to "buy back" battery life because they know when you don't use the digitizer on the phone, the efficiency goes up some. Like it or not, it's true. Full touchscreens are in completely different leagues and their capabilities also vary greatly from platform to platform so you cannot do a proper comparison on battery life efficiency from product to product. For Android it's even worse because every manufacturer seems to want to do whatever they want to in terms of software features and efficiency. At least with RIM, HP, Apple you get the hardware from the same company that makes the software.

In the end it's really just a pissing match of who's toy is better. We each have our reasons for our choices in backing one platform and ****ting on another. The nice end result is WE dictate what these companies will do in the future. Our kudos and complaints help drive these companies to come up with better stuff. If you don't believe that you're an *****, plain and simple.

Finally, one thing I'd like all these companies to work on is use and financing of new battery technology. All of them invest in software and hardware designs, but I don't believe any of them invest as much in new battery innovation. They build all this cool stuff and then put the same crap power sources in them to drive them. Well, cool, have fun with your 2MPG Zonda.

Touchscreen designs should be incorporating solar cell designs into the bezels for some recharge or use power diversion. They have all that real estate to play with in some designs and it goes unused. It stupid! Find a way to make it work! Kinetic, inductive (through body heat transfer) options should be in all these kind of devices. Sure, it costs money to make it happen at first, but someone has to do it first to start a trend and drive prices and scale of technology down for future use. Someone step up and be creative once and for all.

I'll see you guys back here in a few years once this tech becomes everyday stuff.
    03-23-11 10:18 PM
    Battery life on Android has never been good. Heck, even the iPhones before the 4 had bad battery life and it wasn't all just software. Honestly, I think the CDMA variant of the iPhone4 has slightly better battery life than the GSM counterpart. Like it or not, the more a smartphone can do, the more power it'll require. The only way to make it last longer is through outrageous software control and efficient hardware. This where RIM can improve upon other's designs. However, I hope that QNX allows them to do this because the current touchscreen devices they have are crap on battery life. And no, I don't consider the Torch a touchscreen because a lot of people use the trackpad and keyboard to operate it. This is why RIM put those things in the design. Those components are there to "buy back" battery life because they know when you don't use the digitizer on the phone, the efficiency goes up some. Like it or not, it's true. Full touchscreens are in completely different leagues and their capabilities also vary greatly from platform to platform so you cannot do a proper comparison on battery life efficiency from product to product. For Android it's even worse because every manufacturer seems to want to do whatever they want to in terms of software features and efficiency. At least with RIM, HP, Apple you get the hardware from the same company that makes the software.

In the end it's really just a pissing match of who's toy is better. We each have our reasons for our choices in backing one platform and ****ting on another. The nice end result is WE dictate what these companies will do in the future. Our kudos and complaints help drive these companies to come up with better stuff. If you don't believe that you're an *****, plain and simple.

Finally, one thing I'd like all these companies to work on is use and financing of new battery technology. All of them invest in software and hardware designs, but I don't believe any of them invest as much in new battery innovation. They build all this cool stuff and then put the same crap power sources in them to drive them. Well, cool, have fun with your 2MPG Zonda.

Touchscreen designs should be incorporating solar cell designs into the bezels for some recharge or use power diversion. They have all that real estate to play with in some designs and it goes unused. It stupid! Find a way to make it work! Kinetic, inductive (through body heat transfer) options should be in all these kind of devices. Sure, it costs money to make it happen at first, but someone has to do it first to start a trend and drive prices and scale of technology down for future use. Someone step up and be creative once and for all.

I'll see you guys back here in a few years once this tech becomes everyday stuff.
    How rights you are Civic but think about it, why would they bother when our standards have dropped so low that we think 12 hours battery life is acceptable just so we can have pretty screens?

03-24-11 01:28 AM
    You know guys, some of you are weird out there! Seriously i had an Android HTC Hero, and a Motorola and other phone brands except Apple, and tbh you guys are complaining about RIM just as any other person does about HTC for example. When i had HTC Hero, they trashed HTC for not giving 2.0 update,my point is, if you want a stable device that is more or less perfect in design and has very stable platform then RIM is doing the job right, steady and cautiously making decisions. I hate the fact HTC and other Android based companies keep throwing new phones like it's raining ! i dnt want to see bunch of new phones released every quarter, it's soo annoying ! and at rim even if a new phone gets released you still dont feel like you are stuck in a stone age and you need to cash out to buy a new phone,imho its a good thing!

Suck it up, of you want to play games on your phone, buy a PSP or an Iphone, Android solely is getting dual cores so it can sell under the idea of " it can do it all".

Now go and thank RIM for having a nice phone and even if it's an older version, it still works like a charm and looks damn great.
    03-24-11 03:08 AM
148 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD