03-27-11 10:05 PM
148 123 ...
tools
    Is it just me, or is anyone else surprised by the number of manufacturer's and providers announcing dual core smart phones at CTIA? Many of these releasing as early as the 2nd quarter. Honestly, I was not expecting this many dual core and 4g devices before the 4th quarter of this year.
    03-22-11 10:10 AM
    Not really surprised. These were rumored for quite a while. This is what happens when there's an innovation war between Apple and Google (including the hardware partners), while RIM plays catchup.
    K Bear likes this.
    03-22-11 10:51 AM
    Many of these phones had not even been leaked before. Just announced at CTIA and releasing in MAy/June. RIM's not even starting to (planning to) roll out their 2011 line-up until July-September, and they all appear to be single core 3G phones. This is not a promising development.
    revo2001 likes this.
    03-22-11 10:55 AM
    I'm not surprised but it dosnt change my plans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 11:21 AM
    W
    Many of these phones had not even been leaked before. Just announced at CTIA and releasing in MAy/June. RIM's not even starting to (planning to) roll out their 2011 line-up until July-September, and they all appear to be single core 3G phones. This is not a promising development.
    Well, Europe has no 4G yet, it has hspa which is now called 4G in usa but a 3G phone can access that so what's the point? People will end up with phones that have 4G but no actual signal in sight for years. They should spend the money somwhere else like battery tech for example.

Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-22-11 12:10 PM
    Is it just me, or is anyone else surprised by the number of manufacturer's and providers announcing dual core smart phones at CTIA? Many of these releasing as early as the 2nd quarter. Honestly, I was not expecting this many dual core and 4g devices before the 4th quarter of this year.
    you don't work at rimm do you? Because they seem to be the only ones who think the world is not quite ready yet for dual core 4g phones.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 03-22-11 at 12:18 PM.
    revo2001 likes this.
    03-22-11 12:14 PM
    you don't work at rimm do you? Because they seem to be the only ones who think the world is not quite ready yet for dual core 4g phones.
    imo rim is correct if you are correct in reporting their opinion accurately. Given your recent track record I doubt it.

03-22-11 12:42 PM
    I guess "leaks" is the wrong word. Most of the phones coming out at CTIA had "through the grapevine" type rumors around the beginning of the year.
    03-22-11 01:03 PM
    Is a dual core phone going to significantly help you be more efficient or earn more money?

If so will you junk your old 4/8 core i7 processor and get a shiny new 990 6/12 core extreme edition?

03-22-11 01:16 PM
    Is a dual core phone going to significantly help you be more efficient or earn more money?

If so will you junk your old 4/8 core i7 processor and get a shiny new 990 6/12 core extreme edition?

dual core 4g phones just work for me.
    03-22-11 01:20 PM
    I don't think 4G is totally ready for prime-time, I bet Apple skips it as well. The hit on battery life is just too much. But dual core should definitely be standard and is by everybody but RIM (pending any surprises) starting from this point on.
    03-22-11 01:32 PM

No but it gives me a superior mobile experience and more bang for the buck than any BB + PB combined.
    revo2001 likes this.
    03-22-11 01:34 PM
    So answer me this, how well is the Atrix selling? It hasn't exactly taken the world by storm. I even read reports it's slower then single core androids.
    Fact is dual core is a small market right now but could soon that will change simply because android manufacturers will have to make all their phones dual core to compete with each other, what else have they left to compete with?
    4G is a very very very tiny market right now and it won't change anytime soon.

03-22-11 01:45 PM
    By calling an "hspa" or "hspa+" smartphone 4G (instead of LTE, which what this recent carrier forced, new redefinition allows) My Bold 9700 by this definition is "4G". The rumour on this years Torch is that will support 14.4 mb/s hspa.

03-22-11 01:54 PM
    So answer me this, how well is the Atrix selling? It hasn't exactly taken the world by storm. I even read reports it's slower then single core androids.
    Fact is dual core is a small market right now but could soon that will change simply because android manufacturers will have to make all their phones dual core to compete with each other, what else have they left to compete with?
    4G is a very very very tiny market right now and it won't change anytime soon.

dual core is rapidly becoming "the" market. measuring the success of dual core based on only one of the many released and announced phones seems the wrong approach to me. of course IP5 is coming soon to simply make dual core "official" and mainstream.
    03-22-11 02:11 PM

That's a bad comparison to make because the Extreme Editions of procs are "specialized" for enthusiasts. Jumping from single core to dual on a mobile device would be like jumping from a Celeron based proc to a Core2 Duo. The difference is enough to notice when it comes to media-rich actions and stuff that's more complex than very basic browsing and document management. (Which is basically what a standard run of the mill BB can do now.) The next step in processor jumps is needed for RIM's products because they've said they don't want to write a QNX kernel for the current processors they use now. Also, the current Qualcomm procs that are 1GHz or higher full radio chipsets aren't the most battery savvy at all. We know this from all the Snapdragon based crap out there. RIM needs an efficient high clockrate proc to make QNX worthwhile. The immediate Qualcomm offerings aren't good enough for them and I have a feeling that they're trying to see where the TI partnership is going. If the TI procs are successful in the PB platform, it'll give RIM an opportunity to buy more from TI and at a better pricepoint for future BB construction. If the platform falls on its face due to proc issues, RIM will be back to shopping for a proc platform to use. I guess we'll see what happens.
    revo2001 and FoxxBerry like this.
    03-22-11 02:56 PM
    Also it should be important to mention that including dual core isn't just about spec whoring like some people seem to think. It's also about future proofing the device.
    howarmat and revo2001 like this.
    03-22-11 03:01 PM
    Also it should be important to mention that including dual core isn't just about spec whoring like some people seem to think. It's also about future proofing the device.
    How does that work if the spec mongers buy the next iteration anyways... The device might be able to "last" two years but it won't be owned for that long regardless.
    03-22-11 03:25 PM
    How does that work if the spec mongers buy the next iteration anyways... The device might be able to "last" two years but it won't be owned for that long regardless.
    Yeah but that's ignoring the audience that wants the best their device can be in the present time. My whole point was ignoring the people who are into specs. I certainly am not and I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to upgrade next year so it would be nice to have a phone that certainly won't be outdated by then. And that's a dual core phone.
    03-22-11 03:31 PM
    Yeah but that's ignoring the audience that wants the best their device can be in the present time. My whole point was ignoring the people who are into specs. I certainly am not and I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to upgrade next year so it would be nice to have a phone that certainly won't be outdated by then. And that's a dual core phone.
    You are a very small, small minority... Most of the people who will actually keep their phones 2 years aren't even going to understand what dual core means. Something like the Inspire 4g/EVO is likely to have a broader appeal to them than the Atrix...

People who care heavily about dual core (reference Engadget readers who don't want to look at a phone unless it has dual core now) will be lucky to be using the same phone 6 to 8 months after purchase...
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    03-22-11 03:33 PM
    How exactly do you "future proof" a device that's gonna have 6 months shelf life? No manufacturer will ever be interested in making a future proof device.

The guy who posted earlier is right, out 9700, 9780 and Torches(maybe even the 9000) are now by definition 4G devices.

I fail to see where exactly you would benefit from a dual core on a mobile phone, tablets and laptops yes but a smart phone? It would have to be only some very intensive game or something.

03-22-11 03:34 PM
    ^^ And yeah, reference this. Manufacturers do not desire to make future proof phones. Whatever they make will get one-upped because the money relies on it.
    03-22-11 03:36 PM
    I fail to see where exactly you would benefit from a dual core on a mobile phone, tablets and laptops yes but a smart phone? It would have to be only some very intensive game or something.

lol I refuse to believe you're even being serious considering RIM themselves said QNX wouldn't be able to run on anything but a dual core device. So if I spend the money to buy a phone from them this year that doesn't have dual core and then they release QNX (or something close to it) next year and my phone can't run it, that's a huge FU from RIM, especially considering they could have easily done it so you would be supported for a long time to come.

There's a reason RIM is constantly lowest in customer satisfaction and it's because they simply don't treat their customers as well as other companies. It's about more than future proofing and having the best available, it's about providing your customers with the best value you can provide them, something they've consistently been unable to do, and the fact that some of you may not be able to see this is a testament to the brainwashing/blind loyalism that's been holding this company back from being the best they can be.

And the whole "you're in the minority" argument fails. Who gives a FLYING mother effing **** who is what? Why only cater to a majority when you can get off your lazy *** high horse and cater to EVERYBODY. I'm sure the majority wouldn't even notice if the bold touch had the exact same specs as the bold 9780 except an added touch screen, doesn't mean they should do that. Why are they advertising the fact that the playbook has flash compatibility, **** why is ANY company doing that? The majority simply don't care but you do it to acknowledge those that do care about that stuff. It's called being a great consumer-oriented company.
    Last edited by dooodads; 03-22-11 at 03:48 PM.
    1magine likes this.
    03-22-11 03:44 PM
    by future proof i think he means 2 years with updates and future OS. for some people they actually will use their device for 2 years or close to it. **** if RIM gives the BBs due in fall a dual core processor and OS 6.1 i would hope you can then load QNX OS in spring of 2012. But if they are single core devices and then you have QNX released 5 months later you single core phone is a POS basically now.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-22-11 03:45 PM
    by future proof i think he means 2 years with updates and future OS. for some people they actually will use their device for 2 years or close to it. **** if RIM gives the BBs due in fall a dual core processor and OS 6.1 i would hope you can then load QNX OS in spring of 2012. But if they are single core devices and then you have QNX released 5 months later you single core phone is a POS basically now.
    There's a conflict in that statement... A LOT of the people that would use their phones for 2 years don't consider their phone a POS because a new OS is available and they can't use it...

And frankly this brings to question Android and 3rd party manufacturers even releasing OS updates even if they could be supported... Not everyone knows what rooting + custom flashing is or even does it...
    03-22-11 03:47 PM
148 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD