05-18-11 11:49 AM
46 12
tools

I hope you realize that Google makes ZERO money from selling Android right? Even if they dominate the market, they're not making profit!
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. Google is making a profit when you consider the revenue they receive from advertising related to Android. It's not a huge profit; in fact, it's rather small. But Android does result in a net gain by Google, and thus is profitable, though the numbers do not compare to RIM's profit or Apple's iOS profit; RIM makes more profit per quarter than Android's entire platform, and the iPhone alone generates more revenue and profit than Google's entire business.

Now, if you're saying they make zero profit on device sales, that's true. It's also true that most Android OEMs (HTC being the prime exception) are barely profitable.
    05-17-11 05:31 PM
    That's not true at all. The OS is free to license and develop, but with every Android device purchased, Google makes money on the in-app advertising, the further entaglement of a customer on google services, leading to more advertising revenue. Not to mention 30% of every app sold in the android market. I've spent over $100 on apps, meaning google earned over $30 on those. Would they really be in the smartphone platform business if they didn't make any money at it?
    What Google or Apple is making through App sales is irrelevant when compared to their over all sales and believe me their profits via App markets are not even close to 0.1% of their overall profits, In 2010 Blackberry made more money than Google via App world. Apple and RIM are enviable position as they money not only via app sales and advertising but also on hardware sales.
    05-17-11 05:43 PM
    Wow this I actually take as a positive, all things considered:

"We estimate that 1/4 to 1/3 of Blackberry subscribers in the U.S. who came up for contract renewals last quarter switched to other platforms..."

I mean with almost no new products in the handset area, RIM is still keeping 65%-75% of its users? Now that is impressive.
    05-17-11 05:52 PM
    What Google or Apple is making through App sales is irrelevant when compared to their over all sales and believe me their profits via App markets are not even close to 0.1% of their overall profits, In 2010 Blackberry made more money than Google via App world. Apple and RIM are enviable position as they money not only via app sales and advertising but also on hardware sales.
    I wouldn't call 30% of $100MM irrelevant.
    05-17-11 05:58 PM
    I'm pretty sure Google is making a profit off of their phones....
    05-17-11 06:17 PM
    That's what I meant.
    05-17-11 06:24 PM
    I call hogwash. Aka bullcrappies.

Rim ain't ending. Nor is the world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 06:57 PM
    You're seeing a lot of stories like this because it's the EASY story for a journalist to write (plus it has a catchy headline that makes you want to click it).

Look, there's a lot of truth in the story as to RIM's track record and the changing tide... but I believe more than ever in RIM. They're off their high horses, working HARD now to push back to the top, and they're going through a tech transition that puts them in a position to turn out better products than ever, faster. They still have a VERY strong brand, and it's elastic... less popular today, but one killer product and it's back on top. Look at Motorola... the Razor was crazy popular.. it's time came and went.. the company almost tanked, but then they release the Droid and it sold like crazy again. The BlackBerry brand is strong.

RIM has to move quick as every day that passes you're seeing more of this stuff get written, but they're in a better position technologically than they have ever been before. It's funny.. I'm actually MORE optimistic than ever on RIM, so I kinda laugh at these articles.
    Or maybe you believe in them more than ever because your site rests solely on their success? Don't be fooled, RIM is dying. It's amazing to me that every analyst and business person in the world is saying the exact same thing, yet everybody on this site is ignorant to it. Market share will continue to take a dive, more and more people will switch to Android, and the enterprises will continue to offer support for Android and iPhone (a majority have already moved in this direction).

Kevin, while I respect your site and what you have done, you and the rest of the CB community need to come to grips with reality.
    05-17-11 11:28 PM
    Or maybe you believe in them more than ever because your site rests solely on their success? Don't be fooled, RIM is dying. It's amazing to me that every analyst and business person in the world is saying the exact same thing, yet everybody on this site is ignorant to it. Market share will continue to take a dive, more and more people will switch to Android, and the enterprises will continue to offer support for Android and iPhone (a majority have already moved in this direction).

Kevin, while I respect your site and what you have done, you and the rest of the CB community need to come to grips with reality.
    Crackberry.com would remain regardless if RIM went bankrupt or not. I don't see RIM going bankrupt, to the consumer, they couldn't care less.

05-17-11 11:31 PM

You are clueless buddy. RIM isn't going any where. They have no debt, plenty of cash, and a new powerful operating system to guide them for years. Once a star, always a threat. They will come back strong when the OS is ready for phones. If they somehow screw up QNX on phones, which is highly doubtful, then they will be screwed. Until those new phones are out, we won't know for sure but all of their acquisitions say they will be around for years to come. Most analysts don't understand that. Now go ahead and read some more garbage that people that dropped out of high school are writing.
    Last edited by Snipperdo17; 05-18-11 at 11:55 AM.
    Dapper37 and sf49ers like this.
    05-17-11 11:57 PM
    Yeah rim, isn't going anywhere. As long as they make the best portrait keyboard handsets they will remain profitable. RIM will still be profitable and survive but will no longer be the top choice. Craig seem to foresee the trend and its just really tough to slow down the ios android momentum.

What frustrates everybody is RIM has the ability to push out great hardware but they were to cheap and stingy to provide a top of the line high end device until this year! Like Kevin said they are off their high horses. Too bad they got knocked off instead of them realizing where the market was heading. But I do look forward to what RIM will have in store.
    Not till this year they went on overdrive finally reacting to the market and consumers that people want faster hardware. These new os7 devices will stop the bleeding a bit but they are going all in on QNX. Similar how Motorola went all in on android.

05-18-11 12:32 AM
    RIM needs to have the vision that looking out 3 years, it can no longer be a vertically integrated maker of mobile computing devices.

RIM has about $2B+ in cash, and no debt, it is rumored that RIM will bid for the patents of Nortel, bidding against Google (with an opening bid of $900M), among others. If RIM wins, it will cost well excess of $1B, leaving its balance sheet less pristine.

Apple has $60B + in cash, and adding about $10B+ a quarter, Apple can outspend on R&D against competitors forever, Apple and Samsung will always have costs advantages over hardware BOM's (Bill of Materials).

MMI (Motorola), HTC, and RIM will not be able to keep up with the "arms race" as independent entities.

RIM still has a very strong services revenue streams, thanks to BES/BIS/BBM, etc, and QNX/TAT are the new crown jewels.

RIM should position QNX as the alternative and competitor of Android. QNX's architecture is micro-kernel layered based, meaning it can run on a range of mobile computing devices, unlike Android, which requires minimum hardware requirement. QNX is military grade secured and proven in embedded devices, this compares to a very vulnerable Android. Also, Oracle/Sun has a very STRONG case again Android, and Larry has the best lawyers money can buy, just ask SAP.

All this puts QNX in a good position to catapult over Android for all the current Android manufacturers, if RIM is willing to let others to build QNX devices (does not have to be phones, think a mini-QNX Groupon dedicated devices) - think about a new QNX based AMAZON tablet, with both RIM and Amazon branding.

With Android VM, QNX can run all Gingerbread apps, so there is no downside for all the current Android vendors to adopt QNX.

RIM can still continue to innovate on the world-class keyboard based smart mobile computing devices with BES/BIS, etc.

Software is the future, not continue to engage in a 9-12 months life cycles of hardware arms-race.

Hack, I can even see a QNX-kernel based WP7/8/9 platform, if indeed MSFT decide to buy RIM outright.
    05-18-11 12:34 AM
    As soon as rim releases good hardware it will throw the brand threw the roof. You can't touch their email, or BBM.
    05-18-11 12:40 AM
    I don't think Microsoft has any designs on RIM anymore. After its purchase of Skype the logical next step is to wonder if they're going to avoid going over traditional carriers as much as possible. (I say logical, because why else would you buy a P2P voice and video chat service? You can imagine saying "Call John" and if you're in a WiFi zone it uses Skype, and if not, then Skype -> POTS i.e. your telephone number.) At any rate, this is the opposite of RIM's approach, which is to favor the carriers whenever possible.
    05-18-11 12:49 AM
    Sounds like it is time to buy RIMM. When everyone is a bear, time to get bullish.
    05-18-11 01:33 AM
    This guys article is so one sided its clearly biased. You can only take so much information from a strictly biased view like this. While it rings the alarm bells it's far from the truth. The author of this piece thinks its his job to sway the public narrative in a negative light toward BB. You can tell when someone is doing that when they mention zero of the up side for RIM. Lets not forget even up to the last reported quarter. RIM had record revenue, profit and unit's sold. The author is a HACK!!
    05-18-11 01:57 AM
    Sounds like it is time to buy RIMM. When everyone is a bear, time to get bullish.
    Thats what the smart money does!
    05-18-11 01:58 AM
    Just remember what Facebook just got caught doing, Paying the media to wright poor stories about Google. Thats how they run business! (major American Corps) This author is such a joke and should get exposed for the Hack that he is..
    05-18-11 02:09 AM
    Kevin Michaluk. call this guy out on the next Podcast! ask him how much he got paid to wright such a biased pile of BS. Who's paying him...
    05-18-11 02:50 AM
    Just remember what Facebook just got caught doing, Paying the media to wright poor stories about Google. Thats how they run business! (major American Corps) This author is such a joke and should get exposed for the Hack that he is..
    Ah. SO even though you'd probably be offended by someone who decided to stereotype BlackBerry users, you have no problem using FaceBook (!) as a representative of all American corps. Thank you so much. I suppose I should expect the typical American corp CEO to be in his mid 20s, wear flip-flops to the office, sweat profusely during interviews, get sued by a pair of tall, creepy twins, and sleep on a mattress laying on the floor. Got it. Thanks for the insight.
    05-18-11 11:46 AM
    guys, i suggest you don't feed the trolls and just let this thread die!

replying here even to point out how ******** the article is, only helps spread the wrong information further!
    05-18-11 11:49 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD