05-18-11 10:49 AM
46 12
tools
    Came across this ominous article.

Could this be the end of RIM? - International Business Times

I dont like the sound of it but... it seeems to hit where it hurts.
    05-17-11 09:44 AM
    just another analyst looking for a story.........
    05-17-11 09:50 AM
    These days everyone wants to be the first to predict things. As long as RIM is more profitable than Android as a platform, they're going to be fine. Are RIM's best days behind them? Maybe, but maybe not. As the cliche goes, only time will tell.
    05-17-11 09:50 AM
    You're seeing a lot of stories like this because it's the EASY story for a journalist to write (plus it has a catchy headline that makes you want to click it).

Look, there's a lot of truth in the story as to RIM's track record and the changing tide... but I believe more than ever in RIM. They're off their high horses, working HARD now to push back to the top, and they're going through a tech transition that puts them in a position to turn out better products than ever, faster. They still have a VERY strong brand, and it's elastic... less popular today, but one killer product and it's back on top. Look at Motorola... the Razor was crazy popular.. it's time came and went.. the company almost tanked, but then they release the Droid and it sold like crazy again. The BlackBerry brand is strong.

RIM has to move quick as every day that passes you're seeing more of this stuff get written, but they're in a better position technologically than they have ever been before. It's funny.. I'm actually MORE optimistic than ever on RIM, so I kinda laugh at these articles.
    05-17-11 09:51 AM
    Apple went through the same thing, but RIM cannot wait much longer or release buggy products.

hey needs to do what they promised and do it well and soon.

Tim
    05-17-11 09:53 AM
    Apple went through the same thing, but RIM cannot wait much longer or release buggy products.

hey needs to do what they promised and do it well and soon.

Tim
    This.

Their time is limited and people will only hang around and trust their promises for so long.
    05-17-11 10:00 AM
    You're seeing a lot of stories like this because it's the EASY story for a journalist to write (plus it has a catchy headline that makes you want to click it).

Look, there's a lot of truth in the story as to RIM's track record and the changing tide... but I believe more than ever in RIM. They're off their high horses, working HARD now to push back to the top, and they're going through a tech transition that puts them in a position to turn out better products than ever, faster. They still have a VERY strong brand, and it's elastic... less popular today, but one killer product and it's back on top. Look at Motorola... the Razor was crazy popular.. it's time came and went.. the company almost tanked, but then they release the Droid and it sold like crazy again. The BlackBerry brand is strong.

RIM has to move quick as every day that passes you're seeing more of this stuff get written, but they're in a better position technologically than they have ever been before. It's funny.. I'm actually MORE optimistic than ever on RIM, so I kinda laugh at these articles.
    The problem with the razr analogy is that the razr was unique hardware at the time and RIM's problem is the software. Os6 and 7 are upgrades and refresh of the stale 5 os, but nothing innovative was introduced or is even due this year on a handheld. Qnx may be the game changer for RIM but by the time they actually have a production model some time next year, they will be even further behind. By then, qnx may only put RIM on par with where other platforms are today, not make them leap ahead.

I've seen countless customers of mine in the enterprise space abandoning RIM and opening the connectivity to ios and android. Once a company removes their BES and is on all EAS, what will be the big draw for those accounts to come back? That's where RIM made their name and they really need to do something quick to stop the bleeding in enterprise. When those corporate users go home at night, they are consumers too, and a slow loading browser, battery pulls and 5+ minute reboots won't cut it.

I too hope RIM can pull off some magic, but I'm not holding my breath. Just looking at how long its taking the 9900/9930 to be released, RIM is still not showing any sense of urgency to right the ship.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
    05-17-11 10:16 AM
    It is just hard to set back and wait until 2012/2013 for RIM to get all the pieces together - Hardware, QNX and hopefully the rest of the ecosystem, apps and content.
    05-17-11 12:40 PM
    It doesn't matter what analysts say but this author wasn't overly biased to Android or iOS and just slammed RIM like many do. So I can respect this article much more than other. And whether we agree or not, that doesn't change the facts.
    05-17-11 12:45 PM
    Look at Motorola... the Razor was crazy popular.. it's time came and went.. the company almost tanked, but then they release the Droid and it sold like crazy again. The BlackBerry brand is strong.
    We can always find a case like this that was on top, fell down and came back on top. But that has nothing to do with RIM. Because for every case like that, there are more of a company being on top, falling and never getting back. I just don't see the point in picking isolated scenarios for a company like Motorola but ignore the Palms of the world. And motorola was totally different because they do hardware and not software. So their revival had more to do with Google/Android than themselves. In this case, RIM has no one to lean on.
    05-17-11 12:49 PM
    We can always find a case like this that was on top, fell down and came back on top. But that has nothing to do with RIM. Because for every case like that, there are more of a company being on top, falling and never getting back. I just don't see the point in picking isolated scenarios for a company like Motorola but ignore the Palms of the world. And motorola was totally different because they do hardware and not software. So their revival had more to do with Google/Android than themselves. In this case, RIM has no one to lean on.
    RIM makes decent hardware and has a greater brand value than Motorola, take away BES/BIS, BB OS and everything from them but still they have a far greater competence than any other Android manufacturer out there interms of hardware or software. In the worst case scenario they can abandon everything and use Android and they will always have that choice no matter what. When Nokia can adapt Windows what's stopping RIM from doing it? FYI..Motorola use to make their own OS for RAZR phones and they have bigger shop in San Diego than you can imagine, they do have software and hardware expertise and infact they are now internally developing their own OS for smartphone/webtop devices.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 05-17-11 at 01:06 PM.
    05-17-11 01:03 PM
    Motorola is not doing well by the way and I think its silly to say for every slip that got back up there are more that didn't. It is as random as any statement can get in my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 01:13 PM
    I became a BlackBerry user out of a simple suggestion from an AT&T rep. I never paid much attention to BlackBerry. I had a bad introduction into smart phones with a windows mobile phone that would do everything BUT be a cell phone. It wouldnt receive a signal in the area I needed (the section of town I worked in) I tried a Palm phone, but the OS didnt appeal to me. The rep then suggested the BlackBerry and I've never looked back.
    It's does what I need it to do as far a work is concerned. I get the information and updates I need. Mind you, this was the 8800, which was a powerhouse with no camera. When I moved up to the Bold 9000, it was amazing. Now I have the Torch and again, it does what I need it to do.
    Yes, they have been dragging their feet with the same old, same old OS and some of the hardware. I've finally gotten past having to hear over and over again about other peoples Iphones and Droids. Ive learned to tolerate them showing me movies and fun games theyve downloaded. They do have great apps and do a lot, but it would be nice to have RIM step up and lead the pack with what the consumers are asking forphones that handle the corporate needs and the entertainment needs too. It can be done with the technology they have, but will they continue to be stubborn (which got them in this position in the first place) or wake up and catch up?
    05-17-11 01:36 PM
    RIM makes decent hardware and has a greater brand value than Motorola, take away BES/BIS, BB OS and everything from them but still they have a far greater competence than any other Android manufacturer out there interms of hardware or software. In the worst case scenario they can abandon everything and use Android and they will always have that choice no matter what. When Nokia can adapt Windows what's stopping RIM from doing it? FYI..Motorola use to make their own OS for RAZR phones and they have bigger shop in San Diego than you can imagine, they do have software and hardware expertise and infact they are now internally developing their own OS for smartphone/webtop devices.
    I don't disagree. I'm just merely pointing out that fact that one can't just use an example of another company and simply just apply it to the company of your choice. It's not the same. The market isn't the same, the products aren't the same and the companies aren't the same. So yes, Moto provides hope that a tech company can be great, fall and then get back up and gives a good reason for optimism. But simply think because they did means RIM will do it it's a little foolish in my opinion. Because while RIM could be like Moto (who aren't doing as well as everyone thinks) they could also be Palm. no one knows so it's silly to think either way because this isn't Moto or Palm, it's RIM.

And yes they did make their own OS but it wasn't a smartphone OS. And there was no Google or Apple to compete with. Samsung made their own too for their old flip phones but what does that have to do with anything? Nothing. The market is different. Back them the OS that Moto made for the RAZR was acceptable based on the time. But they weren't competing against smartphone makers. Back then many people could care less about a platform and cared more about form factor. Entirely different eras in mobile devices.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-17-11 at 02:26 PM.
    05-17-11 02:21 PM
    Motorola is not doing well by the way and I think its silly to say for every slip that got back up there are more that didn't. It is as random as any statement can get in my opinion.

More businesses fail than succeed. That's a fact. So for every business that succeed there is an exponential amount more that have failed. Not saying RIM will be like those. I hope they don't. Just saying that picking 1 case and applying is just crazy talk and a diehard's way of trying to stay optimistic. I get it, but doesn't mean it makes sense.
    05-17-11 02:24 PM
    If you look at their actual sales numbers that still remain high, rim have much less need to lean on something else than motorola when the razr craze passed or apple back when they basically needed ms to stop them going out of business.
    05-17-11 02:25 PM
    If you look at their actual sales numbers that still remain high, rim have much less need to lean on something else than motorola when the razr craze passed or apple back when they basically needed ms to stop them going out of business.
    Again I don't disagree. I'm not nor did I ever say RIM is going to fail. All I was pointing out was that you just can't use a case and just apply it to the company you like. Why? Because people will apply the opposite case because they don't like the company and both argument hold the same weight. It's meaningless. I'm not talking about sales or whatever. All I said was it just doesn't make sense to think because another company did means the company you like will do it. Of course it's certainly possible, but so are the other options as well. For all we know RIM can make the biggest rebound in tech history and I would be surprised. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they continue to get hammered and eventually bought by someone else. It can go either way and I'd be foolish to say because company X did it, RIM will do it as well. It's just silly in my opinion to go either way based on another company.

Just like it doesn't make sense for me to say RIM is the next Palm because Palm was a smartphone company that old and stale and never recovered, it also doesn't make sense to say they are going to be like Moto, Apple or whoever who had a big bounce back. Why? Because they are neither Palm, Apple, Moto or any other company but RIM.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-17-11 at 02:33 PM.
    05-17-11 02:30 PM
    You know, another one of these articles and I'm just convinced that the tech world's story writers get paid by How extreme their articles are.

To be honest, the fact that there are this many articles essentially says to me that they have written it out of existence. They have overstated their point.

Be nice to have a n honest critique of RIM. I'd love to see that. But alas, that's not what sells. (So to Speak).

05-17-11 02:33 PM
    You know, another one of these articles and I'm just convinced that the tech world's story writers get paid by How extreme their articles are.

To be honest, the fact that there are this many articles essentially says to me that they have written it out of existence. They have overstated their point.

Be nice to have a n honest critique of RIM. I'd love to see that. But alas, that's not what sells. (So to Speak).

Yeah a lot of them are way over the top. I actually thought this one wasn't as bad as most of them and didn't slam RIM over very little things that are more user preference than anything. They also didn't do a lot of comparing and contrasting to iOS and Android as well. So considering those things, it wasn't as bad as it's been lately.
    05-17-11 02:39 PM
    Considering it is now looking like Nokia is getting out of the handset business and selling it to Microsoft, let's hope that is not where RIM is headed. If there was even a credible HINT from inside RIM that they were moving to Android, it would likely be very difficult for them as companies that were holding out start jumping ship.
    05-17-11 03:13 PM
    The more I see stupid articles like that the more I love RIM.

The brand is here to stay.
    05-17-11 03:32 PM
    Well with all the evidence on the net, it's clearly clear that RIM is going out of business and is stuck in an old business model. They can never recover. I mean, guys, they look their phones. Then, look at android phones and the iphone. I mean, there is just no way in **** they can even begin to catch up. They don't have a web browser and look at their cameras. What? No flash support? You've got to be kidding me. Battery pulls, glitches clocks. Blackberry is the new palm. They are going to get bought out. Besides no one ever uses BBM because everyone has left the blackberry platforms. There is no coming back from the hole they are in. They should be called "Research in Slow Motion." LOL Android now owns the market- look at their market share. Clearly Android is selling more phones. ANDROID.

Look at their STOCK PRICE for God's sake. No one believes they can do it. It's all over the news. I can't believe you guys still use Blackberry and continue to talk on this forum. Get a life.

Last edited by RollingRock1988; 05-17-11 at 03:42 PM.
    05-17-11 03:34 PM
    Well with all the evidence on the net, it's clearly clear that RIM is going out of business and is stuck in an old business model. They can never recover. I mean, guys, they look their phones. Then, look at android phones and the iphone. I mean, there is just no way in **** they can even begin to catch up. They don't have a web browser and look at their cameras. What? No flash support? You've got to be kidding me. Battery pulls, glitches clocks. Blackberry is the new palm. They are going to get bought out. Besides no one ever uses BBM because everyone has left the blackberry platforms. There is no coming back from the hole they are in. They should be called "Research in Slow Motion." LOL Android now owns the market- look at their market share. Clearly Android is selling more phones. ANDROID.

Look at their STOCK PRICE for God's sake. No one believes they can do it. It's all over the news. I can't believe you guys still use Blackberry and continue to talk on this forum. Get a life.

How many times did you have to say Android?

I hope you realize that Google makes ZERO money from selling Android right? Even if they dominate the market, they're not making profit!
    05-17-11 03:43 PM
    How many times did you have to say Android?

I hope you realize that Google makes ZERO money from selling Android right? Even if they dominate the market, they're not making profit!

I hope you realize that was a complete joke and that's why I kept saying android.
    05-17-11 03:45 PM
    That's not true at all. The OS is free to license and develop, but with every Android device purchased, Google makes money on the in-app advertising, the further entaglement of a customer on google services, leading to more advertising revenue. Not to mention 30% of every app sold in the android market. I've spent over $100 on apps, meaning google earned over $30 on those. Would they really be in the smartphone platform business if they didn't make any money at it?
    05-17-11 04:03 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD