05-01-11 09:04 AM
69 123
tools
    If carriers weren't supporting OS7, RIM wouldn't be announcing a new bold next week.
    04-30-11 10:53 AM
    It's the Wallstreet Journal reporting on what a Jefferies analyst is expecting to happen to RIM's stock price. It's not some internet troll on a message board.

The Apple/Android fans might find it hilarious. A RIM fan should not.

Have you ever gone back and looked at those analysts predictions and placed them directly beside the reality after? .. I'm assuming you haven't because, If you did you'd not place as much faith in them any longer.
    04-30-11 12:05 PM
    Have you ever gone back and looked at those analysts predictions and placed them directly beside the reality after? .. I'm assuming you haven't because, If you did you'd not place as much faith in them any longer.
    I am not placing any faith in them but clearly someone is given what has happened to RIM's stock price.
    04-30-11 01:24 PM
    I'm sure that the carriers are tired of waiting for RIM to produce good product for them, because they want people to upgrade and get locked into contracts, and they have to push other products to try to lock in customers, but a lot of BB users are going to wait for a new BB. If carriers stop carrying then RIM would have to sell direct with no subsidizing.
    Apple iphones have a huge profit margin for Apple. I am sure Apple is sharing some of this loot with the carriers in the form of special incentives.

This being the case, there is little incentive for carriers to try to move blackberries. I am sure the loot is being shared right down to the sales floor.

In Canada, we are seeing new carriers that offer a no frills plan at bare bones cost and you pay retail for the phone or bring your own.

Subsidized phones and locked in 3 year plans at a fat contract rate is all smoke and mirrors.

May be RIMM needs their own distribution network without the carriers like they are doing with the playbook.

RIMM should use some of their cash to buy cellular network equipment (i.e cell towers and switching equipment that carriers buy) so that they can give blackberries a network speed advantage.

Should RIMM bring out a couple of phones that run Android? Should they license their OS to HTC and Samsung?

I once had a Nokia E61 that ran blackberry connect, a novelty when smartphones could only POP your email.
    04-30-11 01:27 PM
    To the poster that said carriers want to withdraw support for OS7 because they want to charge for tethering, this does not make sense.

Carriers charge for data based on how much you use. Also, look at Android and iphone . They have the wifi hot spot feature. Carriers don't seem to mind about that.
    04-30-11 01:32 PM
    All true except for personal email. BIS is unfortunately not that impressive compared to EAS. BES is the gold standard but personal email is rarely delivered via BES.
    BIS is pretty damn good now. If you have a Gmail account, you have push email and wireless syncing of your contacts and calendar. It is a BES like experience for personal email.
    04-30-11 01:37 PM
    BIS is pretty damn good now. If you have a Gmail account, you have push email and wireless syncing of your contacts and calendar. It is a BES like experience for personal email.
    I have have a Gmail account and access it via BIS on my BB. I access the same account via EAS from my iPad. EAS works much better.
    04-30-11 01:48 PM
    I have have a Gmail account and access it via BIS on my BB. I access the same account via EAS from my iPad. EAS works much better.
    Do you mean that you have set up your gmail on your ipad using the exchange account option or do you actually run an exchange server?

My gmail on my iphone is set up using the exchange option but this is not EAS.

Gmail has simply allowed an exchange type access to their email servers and it uses IMAP.

How would you access Gmail through an exchange server and why would you?
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 04-30-11 at 02:06 PM.
    04-30-11 02:04 PM
    perfect time to buy.
    04-30-11 02:45 PM
    Do you mean that you have set up your gmail on your ipad using the exchange account option or do you actually run an exchange server?

My gmail on my iphone is set up using the exchange option but this is not EAS.

Gmail has simply allowed an exchange type access to their email servers and it uses IMAP.

How would you access Gmail through an exchange server and why would you?
    The Exchange Option on iOS sets up the account using the ActiveSync Protocol. It is EAS.

Dunno what tangent you're going off on talking abotu going through an Exchange Server.

Exchange ActiveSync is the PUSH protocol the Google and Hotmail servers use. You don't need Exchange to use ActiveSync. Microsoft Licenses it out and some people (like Google) implement a version of it to allow PIM data synchronization to smartphones and tablets (every smartphone/tablet OS except Blackberries support EAS).
    Last edited by N8ter; 04-30-11 at 05:02 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-30-11 04:58 PM
    The Exchange Option on iOS sets up the account using the ActiveSync Protocol. It is EAS.

Dunno what tangent you're going off on talking abotu going through an Exchange Server.

Exchange ActiveSync is the PUSH protocol the Google and Hotmail servers use. You don't need Exchange to use ActiveSync. Microsoft Licenses it out and some people (like Google) implement a version of it to allow PIM data synchronization to smartphones and tablets (every smartphone/tablet OS except Blackberries support EAS).
    Thanks. I figured EAS would use an exchange server as Exchange is in the name of EAS. Would my Nexus S be using EAS?

Blackberries need EAS as an option to BIS. Having to have a Blackberry specific data plan sucks when you travel out of country if you don't want to pay roaming charges.
    04-30-11 05:37 PM
    How does it work better? On the Berry, you get wireless sync of your contacts, calender and deleted items in your mailbox.

I don't notice a difference.
    04-30-11 05:41 PM
    ... Robust doesn't seem to be the right word there, if you want to talk about people wanting a higher spec phone then fair enough, but robust would seem to apply quite well to a phone with good data, voice performance and battery life.
    Yeah, but robust doesn't apply to phones requiring battery pulls, freezing randomly or showing spinning clocks. And RIM's developed a track record for all this in the past few years.

It's to bad they dropped the ball on specs at the same time they dropped the ball on reliability. They could likely have survived one or the other, but not both in combination. And to clarify, I'm referring to their reputation and demand for their products, not company shutdown. I doubt that will happen, nor do I believe they'll be purchased. But I do believe they're going to be relegated to also-ran second tier status for at least the next 2-3 years as people have tired of giving them the benefit of the doubt.

- R.
    04-30-11 06:51 PM
    Thanks. I figured EAS would use an exchange server as Exchange is in the name of EAS. Would my Nexus S be using EAS?

Blackberries need EAS as an option to BIS. Having to have a Blackberry specific data plan sucks when you travel out of country if you don't want to pay roaming charges.
    yes you can use EAS on your Nexus

How does it work better? On the Berry, you get wireless sync of your contacts, calender and deleted items in your mailbox.

you get all folders, contacts and calender, not just deleted items. you can sort all your mail into those folders on the phone too. Same as you can with hotmail, all exchange mail for work and same with yahoo. BIS is completely limited when it comes to these type of functions. and no truncation crap either
    04-30-11 07:36 PM
    Apple iphones have a huge profit margin for Apple. I am sure Apple is sharing some of this loot with the carriers in the form of special incentives.

This being the case, there is little incentive for carriers to try to move blackberries. I am sure the loot is being shared right down to the sales floor.
    Hahaha Apple share the profit with carrier? I think not. They know the iphone will bring more customers to whatever carrier picks it up and thats "sharing the profit". Apple doesn't really discount anything because people will pay for it and they know that.
    04-30-11 08:12 PM
    The only perk to a carrier having the iphone is subscriber count. There is virtually no financial perk at all.
    05-01-11 02:02 AM
    Hahaha Apple share the profit with carrier? I think not. They know the iphone will bring more customers to whatever carrier picks it up and thats "sharing the profit". Apple doesn't really discount anything because people will pay for it and they know that.
    Apple has the highest profit margin per phone of any manufacturer. They are killing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-11 02:12 AM
    I know! Let's have our Government make a law that REQUIRES every phone in the US to be made by Apple. Obviously, some people know better than others. And those others need to be forced into their happyness. Also, books need to be banned and ipads sold exclusivly instead.

Companies who make phones and tablets other than Apple are abviously copying apple and therefore need to be disbanded and rolled into Apple.

Also, Apples are to renamed Squapples and grown in cubic shape not to infringe on Apple's logo.
    Last edited by elmorro; 05-01-11 at 08:08 AM.
    05-01-11 08:06 AM

BIS does not reliably sync back to the handset if I read or delete an email on another device. I can't access my folders.

Last time I tried it the calendar sync was one way. I don't use BIS to sync contacts. I am afraid it will mess them up.
    05-01-11 09:04 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD