05-01-11 09:04 AM
69 123
tools
    One of the biggest problems is the perception that QNX has been delayed to late 2012. Hence the renaming of OS 6.1 to 7.0. RIM might have a problem convincing us to pounce on the 7.0 phones when the real bread and butter is waiting for us down the road.
    How can carriers withdraw support for something which has not even been released? A classical attempt at stock market manipulation.
    Maine and curve1967 like this.
    04-29-11 11:42 AM
    Here's a tip for you...make a little dough. When a company with that much cash on hand (which is a huge deal) and ZERO long term debt has their stock price drop, BUY! They come back! People make fortunes on companies like this all the time.
    Shhhhhh!

I don't like having to share!
    04-29-11 12:15 PM
    Have you looked at their balance sheet? Assets outweigh Liabilities 3:1....and they have almost $2 Billion CASH on hand.

Sorry, that's not take over numbers.

And now look forward to new numbers with PlayBook as it develops....there's time before the next annual and quarterly.

Takeover? LOL..
    I hate to pop your bubble, but the PlayBook is not going to help RIM. It will be a negative for a long time, possible never showing a profit. Many of the retailers sold most of their pre-order supply but I hear they are not putting in new orders for more PB units.
    04-29-11 02:23 PM
    How can carriers withdraw support for something which has not even been released? A classical attempt at stock market manipulation.
    they can choose not sell it in their stores.
    04-29-11 02:36 PM
    I hate to pop your bubble, but the PlayBook is not going to help RIM. It will be a negative for a long time, possible never showing a profit. Many of the retailers sold most of their pre-order supply but I hear they are not putting in new orders for more PB units.
    Best Buy: PlayBook Sales "Far Exceeded" Expectations - HotHardware

RIM to increase BlackBerry PlayBook production, 4G models coming in Q2 2011 | Ubergizmo
    04-29-11 02:45 PM
    I'm sure that the carriers are tired of waiting for RIM to produce good product for them, because they want people to upgrade and get locked into contracts, and they have to push other products to try to lock in customers, but a lot of BB users are going to wait for a new BB. If carriers stop carrying then RIM would have to sell direct with no subsidizing.
    04-29-11 03:10 PM
    So the carriers would no longer carry BB devices? I don't see it.
    04-29-11 03:21 PM
    this is all bs this is whsat these analyst do to mske money put fear then buy and ride the ride up
    04-29-11 03:37 PM
    that article is hilarious...this shows how dumb down the internet is becoming
    It's the Wallstreet Journal reporting on what a Jefferies analyst is expecting to happen to RIM's stock price. It's not some internet troll on a message board.

The Apple/Android fans might find it hilarious. A RIM fan should not.
    04-29-11 03:37 PM
    So the carriers would no longer carry BB devices? I don't see it.
    These devices. not all devices. They could want to wait for QNX devices. ****, they are still pondering on the playbook!

I am not saying this is what I believe, just a thought.
    04-29-11 03:54 PM
    I'm curious. Do the people who brush off any criticism or negative coverage of RIM actually believe RIM and the BlackBerry brand are doing well?
    04-29-11 03:54 PM
    I'm curious. Do the people who brush off any criticism or negative coverage of RIM actually believe RIM and the BlackBerry brand are doing well?
    They aren't doing fantastic but they aren't doing bad either. This is a definite transition period for them.
    04-29-11 03:59 PM
    They dropped Nokia pretty quickly, for example, the N8.
    It's surely true that Nokia doesn't have a presence in the U.S. smartphone market. However, there are plenty of Nokia phones at the AT&T store every time I go there. Besides, the comparison is not effective because Nokia manufactures both smartphones and regular good ol' plain phones. RIM only manufactures smartphones. For a company to drop them would mean dropping them altogether, and that doesn't take into account the government or large corporate market, which RIM still dominates. I know, I know....Apple and Android are making inroads, but there are segments of those markets that choose RIM for very specific functionalities.
    04-29-11 04:15 PM
    It's the Wallstreet Journal reporting on what a Jefferies analyst is expecting to happen to RIM's stock price. It's not some internet troll on a message board.

The Apple/Android fans might find it hilarious. A RIM fan should not.
    It's an interesting article. There is also a follow-on article giving an opposing viewpoint. But it's inconvenient to read that one when one is making the point that RIM is dead. Again. As it was dead two years ago. It's so dead that it's posting billions in net gains. I should suffer from such death!

But the article is interesting. I also find alien abduction reports interesting.
    04-29-11 04:20 PM
    If I was the man in charge, I would notice that apps seem to be a big drawing point. So, for me to encourage more people to make the switch, I would invest a good chunk of change into an apps creation department for awhile.

I would have a huge team developing apps like there was no tomorrow. Good, stable, well written apps, to punch the numbers up. I would be creating apps for all the stuff for which there are none on the BB platform.

I understand the key principal to investing and making money. Don't follow what everyone else is doing, don't listen to research papers, and generally, don't believe anything a writer who has vested interest says without some deeper thought to it.

I will hold onto my RIM shares, and, most likely buy more. RIM is what Microsoft is. It's steady income from the corporate world ensures a good cash flow. They dropped the ball on the consumer side, but, its not a lost cause. Consumers are finicky, and switch to whatever is the hot item of the month for the most part. Not so easy for the corporate world to do. Microsoft dropped the same ball, but are quickly picking it up and running with it.

RIM still has a very healthy income, is still selling products, and still generating positive revenue. It is still turning a good profit. One bad quarter is nothing for me to worry about. RIM is what apple was to the software side of computers 15 years ago. Look at it today, MAC software is released on par with Windows software for the most part. If RIM wants the consumer side, they need to really look at what the consumers seem to want. I still stand firm, on this issue, its Apps. This for me, is RIM's weakest spot right now. Hence why I say they need to invest their own resources for now, until developers and companies have no other choice but to create apps. Kind of forcing the hand if you will.
    bdad14 likes this.
    04-29-11 06:21 PM
    Unless a network has a brand exclusivity deal with one of the other smartphone manufacturers that will not be decided until products are much closer to release.
    04-29-11 06:25 PM
    There haven't been any Bolds since they launched the Torch. That led to speculation that the 9780 would replace the 9700 on AT&T, which it didn't. AT&T gambled on the Torch and passed on the 9780. I believe that was a bad decision on AT&T's part, they should have also made the 9780 available.
    Pretty sure the 9780 launched in the US as a T-Mobile Exclusive, the same way the Torch was an AT&T exclusive and the Style on Sprint.

It was most likely *not* AT&T's decision (in the US) whether or not they would carry the 9780, so there's a lot of speculation built into that "blame," IMO.

Also, they launched the 9330 with half the RAM/Storage as the CDMA 9330 which sort of hurt them on GSM carriers, especially AT&T where they didn't launch an updated Bold phone. Going from a 9700 to a 9300 would have made somewhat sense if you were doubling your RAM/Storage and the OS6 update came faster, but the anemic storage/RAM really did hurt that device for Bold upgraders... Since it's worse than a 9700 in its current state, IMO.
    04-29-11 07:33 PM
    If you look at the trends of buyers though, people are buying phones at every update. So I think based on this, RIM is thinking that people will buy these stop gap phones and then plunge into the QNX devices.
    I think that will slow down quite a bit in the next year or so.

People are becomming a bit less content with buying phones for updated software.

The #NeverAgain campaign that forced Samsung and T-Mobile US to release the FroYo update for the Vibrant is a clear indicator of that and the companies pledged to release updates faster to save face additionally.

There will always be a minority of technophiles and compulsive upgraders, but that is not the majority of smartphone owners. Doing that means you're paying exorbant amounts of money on off-contract phones and that just isn't acceptable to most people. An off contract phone that you may use for 1 year [if you do this] or less costs as much as a laptop that can last for 3-5 years these days :P
    04-29-11 07:40 PM
    Something is definitely up. My wife went into an ATT store last night and they only has the Torch and Curve. No Bolds. The sales staff ALL talked down blackberry and told her "blackberry" was going out of business. Told her the Playbook was a flop and pushed the new Motorola phone. When I was in there in Dec to get my daughter a Torch, all of the slaes people carried Torches and were very pro blackberry. I know the things they said were untrue, but this, to me, signals a significant shift in the relationship with ATT in a very short period of time.
    Google "spiff"
    04-29-11 07:45 PM
    Probably because he thought that the display and multimedia performance could make up for the loss of the BB stuff, which wasn't the case. The same thing I experienced too. Going from BB to iPhone to BB to Android back to BB. I need a great keyboard, and none of the others could provide it. I thought I could live with the touchscreen on a iPhone but couldn't. I thought I could get the an equally good keyboard from the Droid, but couldn't. And none of the pretty GUIs or thousands of apps could compensate for that.

He's actually the perfect example of the real need for BBs in the marketplace.
    I get that. My point is that there are just as many reasons to select a BlackBerry device today as there was in 2007 and before. All that's happened is that those reasons have become less powerful i.e. the platform is less sticky than it used to be. For example, prior to the iPhone, most smartphone related questions seemed to favor RIM. No one was asking whether a physical keyboard was necessary because all the good devices had one. No one asked which device had the better browser because none of them were any good. The only real questions were e-mail, messaging, IT dept acceptance and physical keyboard quality.

But then iPhone and Android came along, and the questions changed. Many people began to question whether they truly needed a physical keyboard. They began to ask about browsing experience. Apps became important. RIM has never been favored by these questions. Even the IT question became murky, as corporations began supporting BYOD programs. Though RIM has succeeded in retaining many of its customers, it's growth in terms of new subscribers has fallen because they've yet to offer a device that compares strongly with iPhone and Android on the questions which are currently important to consumers.

There's no question that it's e-mail support/security is unmatched. There's no question that they make the best keyboard. There's no question that BBM is the best all around messaging client. If that's what consumers are looking for, they'll select a BlackBerry. But based on the numbers, most consumers aren't focusing on those features, and are instead focusing on areas where RIM is weaker (browsing and apps). RIM says its next crop of devices will fix this. I guess we'll see what happens.
    04-29-11 08:09 PM
    I call complete BS on the QNX part, even if you assume the OS7 is true...

It's way, way too early for decisions like that to be made...
    04-29-11 08:17 PM
    There's no question that it's e-mail support/security is unmatched. There's no question that they make the best keyboard. There's no question that BBM is the best all around messaging client.
    All true except for personal email. BIS is unfortunately not that impressive compared to EAS. BES is the gold standard but personal email is rarely delivered via BES.
    04-29-11 10:47 PM
    I agree with a previous poster, rim really did itself harm by stubbornly refusing to compete.

Just as the average consumer doesnt know whats under the hood, the average consumer doesnt care about how well the company did 5 years ago or what the phones were like then.

90% of the phones verizon sold in 2009 were blackberries. Last year that was down to 20%. The projections are they may fall to 10% this year.

Overseas they r great u say? Rim had 20% of the marketshare last year abroad. This year they r down to 14%.

Consumers are tired of spinning clocks, lag and being told "coming soon."

That is why the stock plunged 11% yesterday.
    04-29-11 11:27 PM
    Your average BB user has no clue what is running under the hood or what QNX is (being on this website puts one above average).

RIM has the ability to sell devices to those that want to stick to BB, but if someone is looking for a more robust phone they are going to look elsewhere most likely, not hold out another year for a potentially better phone.
    I think out of the ordinary is a more accurate term than above average when talking about people posting on a website.

Robust doesn't seem to be the right word there, if you want to talk about people wanting a higher spec phone then fair enough, but robust would seem to apply quite well to a phone with good data, voice performance and battery life.
    04-30-11 03:11 AM
    While they could choose to do that, the likelihood of it happening is extremely low certainly won't have been confirmed a year in advance of those devices arriving so it is purely this analyst pulling stuff out of thin air in order to try and support his position on the stock.
    04-30-11 03:13 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD