05-01-11 09:04 AM
69 123
tools
    Jefferies Analysts on RIMM: 'We Were Wrong' - MarketBeat - WSJ

This is the worst news possible, and reminiscent of carriers refusing to subsidize Nokia smartphones (in the US). Analysts are lowering their stock price targets to $35. A takeover seems to be the best strategy at this point.
    04-29-11 08:06 AM
    Have you looked at their balance sheet? Assets outweigh Liabilities 3:1....and they have almost $2 Billion CASH on hand.

Sorry, that's not take over numbers.

And now look forward to new numbers with PlayBook as it develops....there's time before the next annual and quarterly.

Takeover? LOL..
    abdul likes this.
    04-29-11 08:17 AM
    that article is hilarious...this shows how dumb down the internet is becoming
    04-29-11 08:18 AM
    That's an aweful lot of projection on something with an ton of what if's.

And if cuba attacked the US, and everyone in the armed forces were on vacation, they might stand the chance of taking over Boca Raton!

The facts are the facts. They've been in the top 5 as far as sales go for years, and they've lost a bit of the market share due to new phones manufactured by other companies.

That is far from your takeover theory and projection.

I used to read message boards on Raging Bull, and this type of theorizing went on daily. After a while, there was a whole story of a companies future that was so far fetched and far from the truth, you never knew what was really going on. Mostly company bashers...

Market cap is going to go down on a downward financial...its not a SPIRALING downward financial. It'll rebound and no one will even mention it. Like the stock market...ANTY EM..ANTY EM....THE MARKETS FALLING! Now it's up in the mid 12k area and most people have no idea...

Media, trolls, bashers and others love negative news. Any shareholder that jumps ship, right after a new product was released, and more to be released, with the financial record, cash on hand and NO long term debt, is going to lose money. You don't lose money in the market until you sell it lower than you paid for it.
    Culex316 likes this.
    04-29-11 08:32 AM
    There is actually one strong signal of a drop in carrier support for QNX:

Verizon Undecided on Offering 4G BlackBerry PlayBook | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

What if RIM built a 4G tablet, but no one supported the 4G part of it?
    I think this is because of the tethering issue.Verizon wants to be able to charge for this service on the PlayBook.
    04-29-11 08:39 AM
    Something is definitely up. My wife went into an ATT store last night and they only has the Torch and Curve. No Bolds. The sales staff ALL talked down blackberry and told her "blackberry" was going out of business. Told her the Playbook was a flop and pushed the new Motorola phone. When I was in there in Dec to get my daughter a Torch, all of the slaes people carried Torches and were very pro blackberry. I know the things they said were untrue, but this, to me, signals a significant shift in the relationship with ATT in a very short period of time.
    04-29-11 08:47 AM
    Even if rimm fell to 20 billion it doesn't mean it would sell for that there would have to be a premium on the price
    04-29-11 08:57 AM
    Something is definitely up. My wife went into an ATT store last night and they only has the Torch and Curve. No Bolds. The sales staff ALL talked down blackberry and told her "blackberry" was going out of business. Told her the Playbook was a flop and pushed the new Motorola phone. When I was in there in Dec to get my daughter a Torch, all of the slaes people carried Torches and were very pro blackberry. I know the things they said were untrue, but this, to me, signals a significant shift in the relationship with ATT in a very short period of time.
    Reps pushed the Motorola because they are getting incentives to do so. Rumors are the Atrix isn't selling to great so they may be doing this as a promotion to change that. Reps will tell you anything to buy the phone that benefits THEM the most.

That said, RIM shot itself in the foot with this long cycle of no new phones. Apparently not even their great growing overseas markets want the stuff enough to offset the decline in established markets. I could have upgraded last summer, but RIM hasn't done anything but refreshes and stupidly got into an exclusive deal with AT&T for the Torch, which I'd have bought if available on a different carrier. Now I'm waiting for OS6.1, I mean OS7 devices. I'd take a buggy QNX phone now and be willing to be a beta for it, as long as it had BBM and Mail.
    04-29-11 09:07 AM
    Something is definitely up. My wife went into an ATT store last night and they only has the Torch and Curve. No Bolds. .
    There haven't been any Bolds since they launched the Torch. That led to speculation that the 9780 would replace the 9700 on AT&T, which it didn't. AT&T gambled on the Torch and passed on the 9780. I believe that was a bad decision on AT&T's part, they should have also made the 9780 available.
    04-29-11 09:15 AM
    wow another "RIM is doomed" thread..They will be fine boldman4 needs to stop posting garbage..once they get qnx on phones they will be the new OS being pushed by reps again
    04-29-11 09:25 AM
    so tired of threads like this
    04-29-11 09:30 AM
    04-29-11 09:50 AM
    One of the biggest problems is the perception that QNX has been delayed to late 2012. Hence the renaming of OS 6.1 to 7.0. RIM might have a problem convincing us to pounce on the 7.0 phones when the real bread and butter is waiting for us down the road.
    If you look at the trends of buyers though, people are buying phones at every update. So I think based on this, RIM is thinking that people will buy these stop gap phones and then plunge into the QNX devices.
    04-29-11 10:06 AM
    which is exactly what i will do
    1 year bold touch -> QNX phones
    Maine and mrhockey1277 like this.
    04-29-11 10:07 AM
    Your average BB user has no clue what is running under the hood or what QNX is (being on this website puts one above average).

RIM has the ability to sell devices to those that want to stick to BB, but if someone is looking for a more robust phone they are going to look elsewhere most likely, not hold out another year for a potentially better phone.
    kb5zht likes this.
    04-29-11 10:19 AM
    Your average BB user has no clue what is running under the hood or what QNX is (being on this website puts one above average).

RIM has the ability to sell devices to those that want to stick to BB, but if someone is looking for a more robust phone they are going to look elsewhere most likely, not hold out another year for a potentially better phone.
    This- and then when they are ready to buy and RIM has something enticing they will switch back. Consumers can be fickle. Not everyone is a fanboi. Most consumers just buy whatever whenever.

We are part of the 1% of people who are loyal to a brand. (this includes apple, windows etc. etc.)
    04-29-11 10:24 AM
    which is exactly what i will do
    1 year bold touch -> QNX phones
    I'll be standing in line right behind you.
    04-29-11 10:28 AM

I have one of those so-called robust phones. It's a fun phone, with an amazing display and fantastic multimedia experience.

That so-called more robust phone with the amazing spec sheet doesn't give me the messaging experience I like, doesn't have the profiles the BB has, doesn't have the notifications the BB has, and is not there for me at the end of a long hard day. The more robust phone handled three quarters of one day.

My definition of a robust phone is one that can handle everything I dish out without dying on me. The specs sheet leave me cold if the device is dead.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 04-29-11 at 10:39 AM.
    Blacklatino and Maine like this.
    04-29-11 10:36 AM
    I have one of those so-called robust phones. It's a fun phone, with an amazing display and fantastic multimedia experience.

That so-called more robust phone with the amazing spec sheet doesn't give me the messaging experience I like, doesn't have the profiles the BB has, doesn't have the notifications the BB has, and is not there for me at the end of a long hard day. The more robust phone handled three quarters of one day.

My definition of a robust phone is one that can handle everything I dish out without dying on me. The specs sheet leave me cold if the device is dead.
    I get all that. But I'm guessing you knew the Atrix wouldn't have profiles, or BBM, or BB-like notifications, yet you bought it anyway. RIM's problem is obviously not differentiation; it's that in many cases, the differentiations aren't enough to induce a BB purchase. You are the perfect example of that.
    04-29-11 10:54 AM
    If you look at the next (stop gap) phones from RIM, the specs look good. It wont play flash from websites but the CPU is up to par and the Ram looks good. After looking at the last video of the Blackberry Touch(I know thats not its official name) it looks snappy and the the transitions look good. So if a person wants a experience of a blackberry but faster speed and better resolution then they will be happy with the upcoming phones. I know tons of BB people who just want their phone to run faster and of course have more options for apps.
    04-29-11 10:58 AM
    Are you Balsillie or Lazardis? I think this is just the mindset that has lead to today's shocking news.
    Shocking news! lol.

Here's a tip for you...make a little dough. When a company with that much cash on hand (which is a huge deal) and ZERO long term debt has their stock price drop, BUY! They come back! People make fortunes on companies like this all the time.

And thanks for the comparison to RIM's head honchos...they created a business worth billions, who for years had a majority of the smartphone marketshare...I appreciate that.
    04-29-11 10:59 AM
    I keep reading on here how Blackberry's don't do THIS or THAT like THAT phone...but BB's do things other don't.

2 Different breads of phones. 2 Different consumer types, 2 "somewhat" different markets.

They'll be just fine.
    04-29-11 11:02 AM
    I get all that. But I'm guessing you knew the Atrix wouldn't have profiles, or BBM, or BB-like notifications, yet you bought it anyway. RIM's problem is obviously not differentiation; it's that in many cases, the differentiations aren't enough to induce a BB purchase. You are the perfect example of that.
    Probably because he thought that the display and multimedia performance could make up for the loss of the BB stuff, which wasn't the case. The same thing I experienced too. Going from BB to iPhone to BB to Android back to BB. I need a great keyboard, and none of the others could provide it. I thought I could live with the touchscreen on a iPhone but couldn't. I thought I could get the an equally good keyboard from the Droid, but couldn't. And none of the pretty GUIs or thousands of apps could compensate for that.

He's actually the perfect example of the real need for BBs in the marketplace.
    04-29-11 11:05 AM
    I'm a perfect example of a lot of things, according to my mum and my husband, but I'm not sure what you mean....

Actually, I bought my Atrix on a whim. There was no thought process to it. I saw a friend's device and I just grabbed five hours or so later. So in that instance, I'm a perfect example of a completely uninformed impulsive purchase simply because I have a gadget addiction.

I love BBerries and will continue to buy them as long as they are the ones that I reach for because it's the one that works best for me and my day...yeah, I'm another of those "I buy what works for me" types. What ridiculous thinking is that, huh?!?
    04-29-11 11:10 AM
    People need to stop freaking out.

Compare RIM right now to Motorola. Even with this aging lineup, RIM is still expecting to ship over 13 million BBs, while Motorola has only shipped 4.1 million "smartphones" in Q1.

RIM is still going to turn a profit of around $700 million while Motorola continues to lose money.

It's really not that bad.
    04-29-11 11:16 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD