Ive had a Curve 8300 and have recently upgraded to a curve 8520. I had backed up my BBM contacts to the memory card. Now when ive put the old card into the new device i cant restore my bbm contacts.
    I can see the backup files in the explorer. But when i try to restoe it says Memory card encrypted to another device.
    SO, I copy pasted the backup files (3mb) REM file to a new memory card. But it still doesnt restore the contacts.

What do i do..??
    12-26-09 05:22 PM
    Well, was the card encrypted to another device. Remove any passwords on the original device, do a backup and then do an advanced restore on this device and restore just the BBMContacts.

The REM file indicates the contents are encrypted to the original device.
    12-26-09 05:27 PM
    Well, was the card encrypted to another device. Remove any passwords on the original device, do a backup and then do an advanced restore on this device and restore just the BBMContacts.

The REM file indicates the contents are encrypted to the original device.
    May have go encrypted to my earlier device. Dont have the original device. Have only the earlier memory card.
    How do i backup just the memory card bbm contacts.

The back up file reads BBM-BMG (date & time).bak.rem

How do i decrypt a file.
    Last edited by danlalan; 12-26-09 at 05:40 PM.
    12-26-09 05:37 PM
    you didnt back it up via email? did you switch phones using DM? it should copy all items over in your BBM list and update everyone of the PIN change. anyone it doesnt update properly, you can update manually. people not updated will be dimmed out on your list and u highlight them, select "Send PIN update now" option from the menu. this will "reinvite/update" them back onto ur list.

as for getting the list back onto your phone. i would suggest doing a proper DM device switch wizard or using the email restore.
    12-26-09 10:52 PM
    you didnt back it up via email? did you switch phones using DM? it should copy all items over in your BBM list and update everyone of the PIN change. anyone it doesnt update properly, you can update manually. people not updated will be dimmed out on your list and u highlight them, select "Send PIN update now" option from the menu. this will "reinvite/update" them back onto ur list.

as for getting the list back onto your phone. i would suggest doing a proper DM device switch wizard or using the email restore.
    Nope. Only Backed up via media card.. Didnt switch phones via DM too.

My problem is that the 8520 is not reading the contacts from the old memory card. Or even if i copy pasteit on to a new memory card and insert it.
    12-27-09 02:09 AM
    well not properly switching phones via DM wont update people on the PIN change. you may have to now manually add everyone over. i just switched devices via DM (8900 ---> 9700) and all but like 4 contacts properly transferred and restored. i had to update them manually or reinvite them.

since you didnt use the DM to switch devices, even if you get the BBM list restored, you may still have to manually re-add them all one by one since the other user wont have your new PIN associated with your BBM name anymore. if you get it restored and try to send a BBM, the message will show a checkmark but never deliver it. if you are lucky, minutes or so later, it may send you a return message asking you to re-invite the contact. that was a big mistake on your behalf, and you probably should do it.

ive never trusted the media card backups anyways. i have always found them to never to be properly up to date nor restore correctly. in my experience, email backup/restore is much more reliable.
    12-27-09 03:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD