So I purchased a used Blackberry Torch 9850 yesterday. It's originally a Sprint phone (with Sprint logo on the backside), but it has been unlocked (by the seller). I am using it on a GSM network (du in UAE).

The issue I am facing is that I am not able to connect to Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) (see step 5 below). The main reason I bought a blackberry is for using Blackberry Messenger. When I try to add someone by their BBM PIN, they don't get any request. The service is activated from du's side, but I cannot get it to work on the 9850.

Before I bought it, I didn't know that 9850 is mainly a CDMA phone. Could this be the problem source (since du is GSM)?

Under "About Device versions", it says:
    Blackberry 9850 (3G, CDMA, Wi-Fi), 7.1 Bundle 921 (v7.1.0.267, Platform 5.1.0.230)

The following are things I have already tried:

1) Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table > Register Now (followed by rebooting the phone)

I tried this multiple times. When I open the Host Routing Table after rebooting, it still says *No entries*.
    2) Tried the network modes of "2G", "3G" and "3G & 2G"
    3) Data Services is "On"

4) Network Diagnostics Test says this:
    Blackberry Registration : No
    Connected to blackberry: Abort
    Blackberry PIN-PIN: Abort

5) Service Status says--
    "Blackberry Internet Service": Not Connected

During some googling, I also read that in case of used phones, the old owner needs to "release" the PIN from his/her BIS account. Is this true? If the original owner used BBM on this phone on Sprint, could that be causing my problem? I tried to create a BIS account by going to du.blackberry.com, but it says "Your blackberry device is not registered with your wireless service provider", and then it says to do the steps I did in step 1 above (The host routing table thing).

I don't know if this is relevant, but I already did a security wipe yesterday after getting the phone. I also created a Blackberry ID and I am able to install games and apps through App World.

I hope someone here can help me. I have mentioned all the things I thought would be relevant in the above post, but tell me if you need more information. I am really frustrated that I cannot get it to work. I have never used a blackberry before. I am concerned that my money might have gone down the drain, because BBM was the main reason I got this.

Note: I am able to use the phone capabilities with my du SIM card, i.e. calling and texting.
    Last edited by nullfactor; 03-18-12 at 02:00 PM.
    pur wanto likes this.
    03-18-12 01:54 PM
    Sounds like you don't have the proper Service Books on the device which is to be expected since your service provider/carrier doesn't support/sell that model.

If you have a previous BlackBerry, you might be able to carry the Service Books over using the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

If not and if the Service Books are not available, then you likely will not be able to get access to data features on that carrier.

You probably would be better served to get a device that your service provider supports.

Note from the things you have listed, it does not sound like it is still active on another carrier's BIS. Sounds like a Service Books issue.
    03-18-12 04:17 PM
    Thank you for that informative reply SwitchBeach. You have a good hypothesis for my problem, one which I hadn't been able to find anywhere else.

I don't have a previous blackberry, but many of my friends do. Few queries though:

* Are the service books unique/specific to each blackberry, i.e. do they contain data specific to that blackberry or that sim card? Will the service books of another phone have a chance of working on my 9850?
    * I am assuming I should try to transfer service books from a blackberry which has been using a sim card of the same GSM network as mine (i.e. du), because service books must be different for each carrier?
    * Does the OS of the other blackberry matter? Should I prefer to transfer books from a phone which runs BB OS 7 (like 9360 or 9380 or 9900), or any BB OS phone should work? (9850 runs OS 7)

Your mention of "data features" reminded that I still hadn't tried to access the internet using the phone, i.e. Edge or 3G or GPRS - i am not sure which one applies. I tried it after putting the correct APN manually in TCP/IP settings and sure enough, it didn't work.

I am going to try both (i) transferring service books from another blackberry, and (ii) telling du customer care about this "unsupported phone" problem and ask them if there is another way to obtain the service books.
    03-19-12 12:40 AM
    You may find that your phone won't work as you are trying to use a CDMA phone on a GSM network. You wilol still be able to call and and text. You could try the wifi at home or a hotspot to see if your internet connection works then. If you then look at your service status and it shows connected then you know the problem is your phone being unsupported. I have a 9860 on a GSM network and previously had a unlocked storm 2 from verizon and that worked fine.

One of the reasons that the BB's have 2 numbers (9850/9860) is because they are different network systems (CDMA/GSM).
    03-21-12 01:36 AM
    I had this problem the other day, I was trying to use the 9850 on Att. What worked for me was configuring the APN to understand it was a GSM phone. I would search for the APN address for your provider, for At I used isp.Cingular and it started rolled ng it with emails and bbm.
    03-23-12 10:18 AM
    I had this problem the other day, I was trying to use the 9850 on Att. What worked for me was configuring the APN to understand it was a GSM phone. I would search for the APN address for your provider, for At I used isp.Cingular and it started rolled ng it with emails and bbm.
    That was the solution for me about 2 years ago when I purchased my Storm2-a Verizon Edition- and unlocked it to work on the Rogers GSM network. I adjusted the APN setting and re-installed the service books from Rogers and all was well. Still use this phone today without any issues. Only downside is that it is only capable of 2G (EDGE) on the GSM network due to the frequency restrictions of the device.
    03-23-12 02:07 PM
    i am thinking it might be due to upgrade, because my unlock 9850 from Verizon work fine until i upgraded it when this problem came. talking about service book, will any blackberry service book work on the 9850
    Sounds like you don't have the proper Service Books on the device which is to be expected since your service provider/carrier doesn't support/sell that model.

If you have a previous BlackBerry, you might be able to carry the Service Books over using the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

If not and if the Service Books are not available, then you likely will not be able to get access to data features on that carrier.

You probably would be better served to get a device that your service provider supports.

Note from the things you have listed, it does not sound like it is still active on another carrier's BIS. Sounds like a Service Books issue.
    10-12-13 03:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD