For a while, my personal blackberry (Tour) was also used as my work blackberry. Last week, my company provided me with a blackberry, so I removed the BES from my account. Now, the BB Browser doesn't work (I get one of two error messages: "Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service" or something about a communications error).

BBM is another issue. When I received the blackberry from my company last week, a few of my BBM contacts were already in the BBM application (I assume these were stored on the BES), while some of the more recent contacts are not there. From my Tour, I can communicate fine over BBM with the contacts that are not in my work BBM contact list. But, if a BBM contact is on both my work and personal BBM contact list, that contact can only send/receive messages over BBM through my work blackberry.

Tech support is basically useless (as expected), as their only suggestions are to remove the battery and resend the service books (both of which were done). Company IT is equally useless.

Any suggestions or ideas? I'd prefer not to wipe the device (the third tech support suggestion). I am using OS 4.7.1.4 and BBM version 5.0.0.56.

Mods, I apologize if this is in the incorrect forum. Please move if necessary.
    12-22-09 11:35 AM
    Sounds like you still have the IT policy on your BB. There is a thread in the HowTo section for removing IT policies. You might want to check that out.
    12-22-09 11:44 AM
    Really? The web browser and BBM still seem to function properly on the company blackberry. These were never an issue when my Tour was on the company's BES. Or could something like this has happened because the company did not push out a blank IT policy before removing my Tour from the BES?
    12-22-09 12:40 PM
    Does your now personal BB have a BIS plan? It sounds like you removed the BES from it but did you add another data plan to it?
    12-22-09 01:19 PM
    Yup, it has a BIS plan. The data still works fine; I can use BOLT browser without a problem.
    12-22-09 01:46 PM
    Can you get BIS emails?

Some 3rd party browsers don't require a BB specific data plan.
    12-22-09 04:01 PM
    i had a similar problem, i signed up for bes with my personal berry, then cancelled it and stuck with bis. lost, bbm and browswer. i searched cberry and reinstalled a buncha of times, did the browser fix, etc, and wasted a few days. eventually had to call my carrier (att) who couldn't figure out the problem but did elevate me to RIM tech support for free (normally $50 charge). the rim people were able to fix the problem in 10 minutes, said it was something on their end.
    12-22-09 04:16 PM
    Try resending service books. (Options, advanced options, host table, hit the BB key and select "register now").
    12-22-09 05:42 PM
    If the IT department didn't take off the IT Policy on your BB, then that's your biggest problem. You'll need to set your Contacts to not sync and then do a backup of the data on the BB via Desktop Manager. Once that's done, you'll need to run a wipe on the handheld with javaloader or another wiping app that supports the "resettofactory" switch. That will remove the IT policy from the device. Once that's done, reregister your HRT (go into Options/Advanced/Host Routing Table and hit Menu/Register Now) then do a selective restore of your contacts and other personal data, but don't restore everything in the backup as that'll throw BES info back on there. Once that's all done, it'll function without issues and for personal needs on BIS.
    12-22-09 07:42 PM
    There is a BIS outage right now which might be causing your problem.
    12-22-09 07:58 PM
    There is a BIS outage right now which might be causing your problem.
    Yeah, that too... Wasn't aware of this when I wrote the post above. Gotta love RIM! I wonder if the Android guys are having any issues.
    12-22-09 08:08 PM
    Yeah, that too... Wasn't aware of this when I wrote the post above. Gotta love RIM! I wonder if the Android guys are having any issues.
    For some reason I think not- at least not twice in 1 week! It's getting kind of old!
    12-22-09 08:12 PM
    The beauty of RIM being a Canadian company.... they don't have to answer to anyone in the US.
    12-22-09 08:25 PM
    If the IT department didn't take off the IT Policy on your BB, then that's your biggest problem. You'll need to set your Contacts to not sync and then do a backup of the data on the BB via Desktop Manager. Once that's done, you'll need to run a wipe on the handheld with javaloader or another wiping app that supports the "resettofactory" switch. That will remove the IT policy from the device. Once that's done, reregister your HRT (go into Options/Advanced/Host Routing Table and hit Menu/Register Now) then do a selective restore of your contacts and other personal data, but don't restore everything in the backup as that'll throw BES info back on there. Once that's all done, it'll function without issues and for personal needs on BIS.
    Yup, that was basically the problem. The IT group never removed the policy and when asked about it, was completely unaware of even how to do it. The BIS outage just threw me off a bit as well.
    12-23-09 09:47 AM
    Yup, that was basically the problem. The IT group never removed the policy and when asked about it, was completely unaware of even how to do it. The BIS outage just threw me off a bit as well.
    Doesn't surprise me. IT doesn't know how a BB works... users learn from IT people... you get the picture.

Do the wipe with the resettodefault switch and you should be good to go. There' a couple of utils that allow for that. Just remember to set the Contacts and Calendar to no wireless sync if you plan on backing them up with Desktop Manager, otherwise they'll show up where you can't back them up because of the BES association.
    12-23-09 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD