is there a way to turn off bbm for the time being? i love bbm but sometimes.. people get annoying. -_- and if i accidently read their bbm msg, they get offended that i did not respond.......... silly question i know. i'm aware of the "unavailable" option but doesn't do much.
    07-17-10 03:54 PM
    No, BBM is one of the programs that always runs if you have it installed. You can't turn it off.
    07-17-10 03:58 PM
    Only options, though not ideal, is to remove it if you don't use it that much or get rid of the notifications for it
    07-17-10 04:00 PM
    Create a new ring profile. Set it to not alert for BBM. Sure the messages will still be there but you wont know unless you check phone. Then just stay clear of the BBM icon and you don't have to worry about them knowing you read them
    07-17-10 04:01 PM
    I'd say do the "unavailable" option (may want to write an additional status thing on there b/c not all people respect the unavailable status). Then, turn off the notifications and hide the icon. That's how you "turn it off" short of deleting it.

That's the one thing I don't like about BBM - it's always on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 11:00 PM
    I have a much simpler solution. After I set myself as "unavailable" anyone who tries
    to BBM me gets deleted as they are too stupid to maintain as a contact.
    Problem solved. I've done this on no less that ten (10) occasions.
    07-17-10 11:14 PM
    The nice thing about txting is that you respond at your own convenience. If a contact doesn't understand that, delete them.

07-18-10 05:58 AM
    I have a much simpler solution. After I set myself as "unavailable" anyone who tries
    That is amazinglygraceless! LOL. Were I in your contact list, I would I would be one of the stupid deleted contacts :-) I have sent messages to unavailable contacts because eventually when they become available the message will be delivered. My ability to send a message shouldn't be constrained by your availability. Eventually you'll get to it, right?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-18-10 10:22 AM
    on the otherside, this is the reason why BBM is so popular with the teens
    since you really cant block someone, you feel obligated to reply
    07-18-10 10:25 AM
    I typically handle the issue by editing the sound profiles so I do not get alerts for BBM.

I rarely bother changing my status. I'm usually available 24/7 or busy 24/7, since I forget to change my status, but when I'm really available I'll know when I get messages since I hear the alerts only when I want to hear them.
    07-18-10 10:27 AM
    So noted lol glad you said something before I became one of those people
    07-18-10 02:35 PM
    My ability to send a message shouldn't be constrained by your availability. Eventually you'll get to it, right?
    Of course it does (it's called respect) and if the message is so unimportant
    that it can wait until the user is available it wasn't worth sending in the 1st place.

My point is simple. I rarely set myself as unavailable but when I do I expect
    people to have the intelligence to know what that word means.
    07-18-10 02:47 PM
    When I was using a BB and BBM before BBM 5 came out, it grouped actual
    "Unavailable" contacts. I don't know why, for whatever reason RIM didn't do the
    same for BBM 5 for when someone sets themself at "Busy." Not only that, but when
    you would set yourself to unavailable it would automatically cancel out the sound
    profile until it was set back to available.
    07-18-10 03:23 PM
    When I was using a BB and BBM before BBM 5 came out, it grouped actual
    "Unavailable" contacts. I don't know why, for whatever reason RIM didn't do the
    same for BBM 5 for when someone sets themself at "Busy." Not only that, but when
    you would set yourself to unavailable it would automatically cancel out the sound
    profile until it was set back to available.
    Oh man, grouping unavailable contacts would be a nice thing to bring back!
    07-18-10 03:25 PM
    Of course it does (it's called respect) and if the message is so unimportant
    that it can wait until the user is available it wasn't worth sending in the 1st place.

My point is simple. I rarely set myself as unavailable but when I do I expect
    people to have the intelligence to know what that word means.
    Yabut… I'm an old guy and probably wouldn't remember to check back to see when you're available. I gotta communicate when I think about it. <BigSmile>

07-19-10 09:09 AM
    Usually I just set the alert to silent for BBM, especially when I am busy, or sleeping. Funny thing is some people don't understand that, and get offended when you still don't reply.
    07-19-10 11:21 AM
    Yabut… I'm an old guy and probably wouldn't remember to check back to see when you're available. I gotta communicate when I think about it. <BigSmile>

I guess you are one of those "unintelligent" people, lol.

07-19-10 11:30 AM
    Create a new ring profile. Set it to not alert for BBM. Sure the messages will still be there but you wont know unless you check phone. Then just stay clear of the BBM icon and you don't have to worry about them knowing you read them
    This is the best solution. And if people do get offended then tell them like I do that they could of called if they really wanted a instant response. Say that sometimes you are unable to respond. I think they will not get offended, if they still do then remove them and tell them send a sms instead since they don't understand.
    07-19-10 07:12 PM
    There IS a way. Unlock your help screen, and then go into "Java VM Engineering Screens" and into "processes." Find the process "net_rim_bb_qm_peer", click the blackberry button, and select "kill process." When you reopen BBM, it will start back up.
    Yeah, too much trouble huh? I just have a custom profile myself.
    07-19-10 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD