Can I safely delete BlackBerry Messenger?

Does anything else depend on it?

I use Yahoo IM and I someone told me there was an interdependency between BB Messenger and all other messenger apps.

So basically I am asking this: if I uninstall BlackBerry Messenger will it affect anything else?

Thank you!
    01-08-10 02:07 PM
    yes you can delete it. But why???
    01-08-10 02:08 PM
    it will not affect anything. the bb might be running better if you dont have bbm.
    01-08-10 02:10 PM
    Because I have never used it and I don't see myself ever using it. And because I wish I had done more research on the Curve 8320 to discover what pitifully low app memory there is
    I assumed it would be like my WinMo phone that let me install and run apps from the memory card. I am STILL very angry you cannot do that.
    01-08-10 02:10 PM
    it will not affect anything. the bb might be running better if you dont have bbm.
    Really? Why?
    01-08-10 02:11 PM
    Really? Why?
    moar memory...

less for the processor to fumble through.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 02:12 PM
    uggh. I deleted it. It hardly freed up any memory. I think I might have to go off on another rant about not being able to install and run apps from the memory card. It is ridiculous that BB can't do that. There is NO reason good enough. Security, piracy, blah, blah, blah....BB should be able to run apps of the memory card.
    01-08-10 02:53 PM
    Hey check out the link in my signature. It is a great guide written by Reed McLay to help you free up some memory on your phone.

01-08-10 02:58 PM
    uggh. I deleted it. It hardly freed up any memory. I think I might have to go off on another rant about not being able to install and run apps from the memory card. It is ridiculous that BB can't do that. There is NO reason good enough. Security, piracy, blah, blah, blah....BB should be able to run apps of the memory card.
    sounds like someone either needs a nap (insert smiley face here) or a new phone..........................
    01-08-10 02:59 PM
    sounds like someone either needs a nap (insert smiley face here) or a new phone..........................
    No, I just need for BlackBerry to do something as simple as a WinMo phone. I love my BB, but BB is supposed to be a superior device to WinMo phones. If a WinMo phone can install and run apps from a memory card, then a BB should be able to do it as well.
    01-08-10 03:03 PM
    No, I just need for BlackBerry to do something as simple as a WinMo phone. I love my BB, but BB is supposed to be a superior device to WinMo phones. If a WinMo phone can install and run apps from a memory card, then a BB should be able to do it as well.
    1) winmo phones suck. i mean hard.... i had a Diamond and a Dual Touch 2 and those both stank hard.... 5 steps to reply to a SMS message... seriously...
    2) Blackberries are not meant to be toys.... they don't have a ton of room for apps, because you typically don't have alot of time for apps.

01-08-10 03:20 PM
    That's a lame reply. BB has the business user side locked up. Their biggest competition right now is on the comsumer side. If you want to call thay the "toy" side, then fine. They need apps and room to run apps. It is just good business. Selling apps make $$$...if you do not have the room for people to install them, then RIM can't sell them.
    01-08-10 04:09 PM
    That's a lame reply. BB has the business user side locked up. Their biggest competition right now is on the comsumer side. If you want to call thay the "toy" side, then fine. They need apps and room to run apps. It is just good business. Selling apps make $$$...if you do not have the room for people to install them, then RIM can't sell them.
    are you aware that RIM just opened up to Open GL?!?! before that the app "makers" were pretty limited.... limited makers = limited apps.

granted i've been screaming "more room" for months, that my battle cry if you will. But i've grown to live with it. you just pick and choose which ones you want to use.

01-08-10 05:21 PM
    You should not just have to "live" with it. RIM should make an app that lets you install and run apps from the memory card and release that app for free on BB App World.
    01-08-10 05:24 PM
    Then you have to worry about copyright's and encrypting the card, and people hacking the cards. I agree with the statement but i also look for the RIM devices to becoming out of the factory with more memory as Open GL apps will use alot more memory. And with the WebKit that is *rumored* to coming out this summer, websites will need more RAM to work correctly... i think we might be on the cliff about to jump into a massive expansion of RIM devices.... but i could be wrong. I think with the Android phones coming on so strong with the Flash 10.1 and Google GPS, and the Palm resleasing the PDK, and supporting flash plug ins.... i think it won't be long... I don't think RIM will loose any ground... i just think those of us that are loyal follower will set and wait, and those that need the newset and "coolest" gadget will come back.

01-08-10 05:37 PM
    Hmm. They may be falling off of that cliff if they don't do something more for the consumer side. I think the main reason that they have made such inroads into the consumer market lies mostly with the very cheap bogo deals. That can only last as long as there aren't much better choices in devices. That's happening now. Vodafone just stopped offering the storm2 after only a few months. Why? The iphone will soon be dropping on that network. I'm assuming that they don't anticipate that they will need to reorder the S2 stock because of the iphone. And with the new android devices that are dropping soon with what seems at first glance as much more capable phones than a BB, RIM better hit the gas before there progress evaporates. If you think that will never happen, then you should remember palm felt the same way when it came to business customers.

01-08-10 06:01 PM
    ....I wish I had done more research on the Curve 8320 to discover what pitifully low app memory there is
    We do too.

Somehow I think if you knew how to research the 8320, you would have known how to use the "search" feature on this website prior to starting a new thread.
    01-09-10 01:59 AM
    Starting a new thread got me a quicker response. I had my answer a minute after I posted. Would have taken longer to search, read through old posts, etc.

01-11-10 07:46 PM
    dude, you bought a phone that's almost 3 years old, how can you complain that you're disappointed by the app memory? buy a phone that came out this year and you won't have the same problem. 128-256MB.
    01-12-10 12:50 AM
    I realize the phone is older. I should have done more research. I know that I should not assume anything, but I came from a WinMo phone. While I prefer the BB in most areas, I was blown away by the fact that you cannot instal and run apps from the memory card. I could do this on my WinMo phone. Since a BB is supposed to be a superior device than a WinMo phone, I could not believe that I could not run apps from the memory card when I could do it easily on my older WinMo phone. I still think that it is inexcusable that you cannot run apps from a memory card. No excuse (security, piracy, ect.) Is good enough.

01-12-10 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD