I think from what I have read I can not, but wanted to make sure.

I will be moving from the US to Germany in two weeks. Until I get a provider there (and that 8900 I have been coveting!) I wonder if I can BBM my friends/family back in the US for "free". I will keep my current AT&T plan until I switch to T-mobile or Vodafone there.

Also, if I can, is there a way to turn off everything but the phone and BBM? I wouldn't want any SMS or MMS, nor would I want any other data coming through. Is that possible? I think it is not, but again wated to double-check.

Thanks so much!
    06-05-09 09:07 PM
    BBM works with data so if you turn data off under option>mobile network, BBM will not work.
    I BBM my friends & family in FR & UK and never get charged from the US and when I roam in Europe I ad a roaming data plan and I don't get charge either will I'm there.
    06-05-09 09:21 PM
    if you get unlimited data in germany, you can bbm your friends in the united states for "free"

if you don't want any other emails coming in, don't set up your email account to get pushed onto your blackberry.

as for sms and mms, i believe blocking that would be up to your carrier (if it's possible at all - i'm not sure).
    06-05-09 09:27 PM
    Great - thanks so much. I think I may just turn my Curve off and head straight to Vodafone or T-Mobile the minute we get off the plane!

Seriously, I guess I'll have to either rely on sending/receiving emails on my laptop, or I'll add the AT&T int'l. calling and data, until I get phone service there.
    06-05-09 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD