I've been a long time lurker on this site since the outage last year while trying to troubleshoot my work issued Blackberry and have been following the chaos that has ensued. While my company has not switched totally to BYOD they have issued the IP4 and dropped BB due to the Salesforce app. While talking to one of my coworkers who is a diehard BB addict who owns a 9650 stated that he will buy a 9900 soon because that is the last device that will have BBM/BES. I then stated that BB10 is on the way in 7-9 months and there is no way that RIM would release it without that feature. After that he then stated that the Playbook was released without BBM and it is a legacy feature that cannot be implemented in QNX without recoding from the ground up; which is why it has not been mentioned in the rumored 4G Playbook. I would assume that this is and has been the reason for the BB10 delay and why mobile fusion was created and EAS has been used. I think Balsillie knew this and was eventually ousted(or quit) for trying to license use of its proprietary network for the provision of services on non-BlackBerry devices including BBM. So I would like to know what the community thinks; other than the canned demos we have not seen an implementation of BBM/BES on QNX. Do you think we ever will?
    07-08-12 11:50 AM
    I don't see why not. There's no reason for it to be coded into the OS fro. The ground up. The bottom line is that BBM is just an app. As far as BES is concerned, they already have the "new" version out as Mobile Fusion. It's been renamed and heavily upgraded to include other platforms.

I just think that they've been focusing on too many things recently to really get quality into the OS, something I believe they are attempting to remedy.
    Pete6 likes this.
    07-08-12 12:01 PM
    BBM is more than an app...BBM is an app that connects directly to RIM servers, which RIM was having trouble doing on the QNX platform.

I'm fairly sure Mobile Fusion is QNX's BES because, like BBM, RIM was struggling with changing legacy software on it's server side.

In short, BBM and Mobile Fusion (already running for PlayBooks) will be available with the launch of BB10.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    07-08-12 12:13 PM
    I've been a long time lurker on this site since the outage last year while trying to troubleshoot my work issued Blackberry and have been following the chaos that has ensued. While my company has not switched totally to BYOD they have issued the IP4 and dropped BB due to the Salesforce app. While talking to one of my coworkers who is a diehard BB addict who owns a 9650 stated that he will buy a 9900 soon because that is the last device that will have BBM/BES. I then stated that BB10 is on the way in 7-9 months and there is no way that RIM would release it without that feature. After that he then stated that the Playbook was released without BBM and it is a legacy feature that cannot be implemented in QNX without recoding from the ground up; which is why it has not been mentioned in the rumored 4G Playbook. I would assume that this is and has been the reason for the BB10 delay and why mobile fusion was created and EAS has been used. I think Balsillie knew this and was eventually ousted(or quit) for trying to license use of its proprietary network for the provision of services on non-BlackBerry devices including BBM. So I would like to know what the community thinks; other than the canned demos we have not seen an implementation of BBM/BES on QNX. Do you think we ever will?
    Bbm is 100% confirmed on bb10. There was a dev session called how we built bbm for bb10 at bbworld in may.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-08-12 11:11 PM
    Aren't we talking about old issues?

They HAD problems integrating BIS/BES with QNX. Well mainly multi devices for one user. Before it was limited to one device per user.
    07-08-12 11:32 PM
    sure it can, but the main blackberry servers are al java based and have to be coded to C+ that QNX is coded in. i believe that was the whole dilema with the BES servers and BBM not being on the playbook
    07-08-12 11:34 PM
    sure it can, but the main blackberry servers are al java based and have to be coded to C+ that QNX is coded in. i believe that was the whole dilema with the BES servers and BBM not being on the playbook
    Not necessarily recoded. Just changes to the API. The major change required was having the RIM servers recognize multiple devices for a single ID. This is where BBID is headed. They have made significant headway with this even though we haven't been specifically told. For example, in App World, my BBID now identifies Bold 9650 apps when I log in on my phone and Playbook apps when I log in on my Playbook. In a prior version, all of my apps (phone and Playbook) were showing up on both. But they've now separated it out. Another example is the BB News app. I notice recently that I have the same content in the phone version of that app as I do (and subscribed to) on the Playbook version of the app.

I feel certain that BBM is on it's way to both the Playbook (natively) as well as BB10. I also think that we might see BBM on a pre-BB10 Playbook OS once it's ready. What a great carrot to throw out to us while we wait for BB10.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-08-12 11:59 PM
    I'm sure it can, as mentioned above. To add on, remember the mantra of BB10, "Flow, Connect, Extend". The connect implies BBM-connected apps, and of course other social networks. So i'm sure it CAN be integrated, it just needs time.
    07-09-12 02:55 AM
    ... After that he then stated that the Playbook was released without BBM and it is a legacy feature that cannot be implemented in QNX without recoding from the ground up; which is why it has not been mentioned in the rumored 4G Playbook. I would assume that this is and has been the reason for the BB10 delay and why mobile fusion was created and EAS has been used. ...
    Personally, I think that is a jumble of rumors and confusion.

RIM is moving to EAS because it is the modern standard. Mobile Fusion and associated products can add security to EAS (by compressing and tunneling EAS communication through RIM's secure network), and Mobile Fusion adds management for non-RIM devices. It is a new, more modern architecture, but it will also be optional. BB10 owners will be also able to use their phones with Exchange servers in companies that don't have a BB infrastructure, just like iPhone and Android users.

As for BBM on BB10, here is the link to the developer session "How We Built BBM Using the BlackBerry 10 Platform and Cascades"
    | https://bbworld.blackberryconference...SION_ID=DEV129
    Also, here is a "leak" describing the color scheme for BBM on the new BB10 phone:
    | EXCLUSIVE: BBM for BlackBerry 10 First Look | N4BB - BlackBerry news, forums, leaks, rumors, how to

Why wasn't BBM on the PlayBook? There are a lot of rumors. Perhaps because the BBM client just wasn't ready. Perhaps because there was no way for RIM to get monthly revenue from BBM on the PB, as it does from BBM on phones. Perhaps because RIM had a lot of work to do in order to enable BBM for one person on more one device.

I doubt that BBM will be coming to the PB until BB10 is available, because the new BBM client is built with Cascades and it probably needs BB10. So if a new PB comes out before the BB10 phone, it may well not have BBM either ... at least until BB10 is ready for the PB.

But the idea that the problem is because the servers and clients are developed in different languages (Java, C/C++) is based on a rumor that circulated in some of the tech blogs and is, in my opinion, just plain silly. Network communications pass through protocols that are independent of the implementing languages. Such a rumor could only originate with someone who doesn't know much about computer networks.
    07-09-12 04:20 AM
    BBM is just an app that, like Browser and Messages, connects to blackberry.net. There should never have been any question as to whether it would work on BB10. I know what was said and whilst there may have been some initial misunderstanding, BBM will be on BB10. Will it be in the first release? I hope so but, this is RIM so all bets are off.

BES will obviously be there. This is one of many reasons for the delay. I am annoyed by this because I feel that BES is not used by everybody, especially with low end phones and BES integration should not have been allowed to delay BB10's release.

I would have liked to have seen BES released as an app that is downloaded from BES once the handset's PIN is loaded into BES. Then as part of BES install on the handset, the server downloads and installs the neccessary cod files. By doing this, the rest if us are not bothered by BES and BB10 would not have been delayed so long.
    07-09-12 05:38 AM
    BBM is just an app that, like Browser and Messages, connects to blackberry.net. There should never have been any question as to whether it would work on BB10. I know what was said and whilst there may have been some initial misunderstanding, BBM will be on BB10. Will it be in the first release? I hope so but, this is RIM so all bets are off.

BES will obviously be there. This is one of many reasons for the delay. I am annoyed by this because I feel that BES is not used by everybody, especially with low end phones and BES integration should not have been allowed to delay BB10's release.

I would have liked to have seen BES released as an app that is downloaded from BES once the handset's PIN is loaded into BES. Then as part of BES install on the handset, the server downloads and installs the neccessary cod files. By doing this, the rest if us are not bothered by BES and BB10 would not have been delayed so long.
    Did you use autofill and have BES sometimes instead of BBM in your text ?
    BES is server-side (with a device enrollment procedure) and I don't get the link with BBM that can rely on BIS (consumers) and/or BES (corporate users).
    It's highly probable I read it bad, sry in advance then.

Edit : BTW I cannot believe BB10 will not include BBM at launch. No way it doesn't. I even believe it'll get to the "next level" and words like "video connected" may stick to it.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-09-12 at 07:02 AM.
    07-09-12 06:59 AM
    Re: BES (which I have on my 9810) -- one of the problems is that RIM is going to have to convince a lot of IT departments to upgrade their servers and install Mobile Fusion. I currently cannot use my PlayBook with BES because Mobile Fusion has not been installed on our BES server. The reason for this is simple: no demand. I don't know anybody else who has a PlayBook. That raises the spectre of there still not being sufficient demand for Mobile Fusion when BB10 is released.
    07-09-12 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD