01-15-12 09:20 PM
44 12
tools
    I realize that but I was just wondering if he is allowed to be saying stuff about it. I would think he should have kept it to himself? I guess it doesnt matter really...
    Depending on the size and type of business there may be a Business Code of Conduct that all employees are required to follow. Being the boss or a manager level employer this person would have the authority to view communications. Now discussing that communication raises the bar a bit higher. Depending on the nature of the communication and the what the boss may have shared could potentially constitute unlawful harassment which is a violation of law.
    For harassment to be deemed unlawful it must fall into the criteria outlined below.

Violates the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and/or the Age Discrimination Act of 1967.
    01-29-11 11:06 PM
    Either don't send anything you don't want the boss to see or use your personal phone not the work provided device, really not that hard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 12:30 AM
    Either don't send anything you don't want the boss to see or use your personal phone not the work provided device, really not that hard.

Excellent advice.

01-30-11 12:35 AM
    Correct, using own personal device for personal use is best advisable. Not to mix it with Company's device.

Pratit Desai
    pin:2375DF52

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    01-30-11 01:27 AM
    Lol, here's what I think happened, I don't think your Boss in really monitoring all bbm conversations but somewhere in the system your bbm usage between two company blackberrys must've got flagged.
    If you send each other a lot of bbms daily surely it will stand out compared to the rest of the employees.

Can BES monitor Yahoo Messenger conversations, of course, if your BES IT policies allows you to install it?
    01-30-11 05:16 AM
    Lol, here's what I think happened, I don't think your Boss in really monitoring all bbm conversations but somewhere in the system your bbm usage between two company blackberrys must've got flagged.
    If you send each other a lot of bbms daily surely it will stand out compared to the rest of the employees.

Can BES monitor Yahoo Messenger conversations, of course, if your BES IT policies allows you to install it?
    01-30-11 05:28 AM
    You know if you want to keep a conversation private, use the phone. They can monitor who called who but they do not have the ability to listen in. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

01-30-11 10:35 AM
    You know if you want to keep a conversation private, use the phone. They can monitor who called who but they do not have the ability to listen in. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Well if they tap the phone they can listen in, but would a company go through all of that? Idk. Maybe if it were the gov, CIA or something to that effect, then maybe.

01-30-11 11:29 AM

I believe they can if they have an internal PBX and your company cellphones go through it, like if the company has MVS, except if they are recording the conversations they must inform the people when calling the number that their conversation may be recorded.

01-30-11 11:29 AM
    Ok so, my friend works for a company and they are on BES. Her boss is allowed to read her BBM's correct?? But im wondering if there is some sort of limit as to what he can do or if he needs approval to read them? Here is what she told me.

She recently started seeing some guy she works with and they decided to keep it secret. The only way they communicated was through BBM. One day the guy had a meeting with the boss and at the end of the interview he said "So, i hear you got a big date tonight" and he winked at him. She thinks he obviously read the BBM's

Im just checking to see if this is completely legal and if there is any limitations or laws regarding this? thanks!
    No privacy is expected guaranteed on those systems.

It's no different than a work email account.

If she wants privacy she needs to use her own phone.

If anything she's lucky either of them weren't reprimanded or at worse fired.

Fraternization is frowned upon and sometimes downright intolerated in many workplaces. Bad things can happen with these relationships go sour.

I'd say using the work phone (or any BB on BES) to BBM and set up stuff like that was pretty dumb on her part.

Could have used SMS and the actually text mesages would have been unreadable. Chalk it up to carelessness and move on. If the cat is out of the bag, then there's nothing you can do to change it. It's no one's fault but theirs...
    01-30-11 12:45 PM

I'd just use SMS (not the Exchange/BES type SMS, the Carrier SMS). You can see what's going where, but you cannot see the actual text that was sent.

I'm not sure how the RIM IM Clients work. There may be policies that disallow those to install/run, as well...
    01-30-11 12:49 PM
    Ok guys, im going to make this clear. She was not upset about what happened at all, she knows he can monitor her infact, she didn't really care it just came up in a conversation i had with her. It was I that was concerned that he said something about it. All i was wondering is if he is allowed to talk about it or keep it to himself. She isnt complaining at all. Also, why the **** would she get fired? I did say that the company has no such rule and you can date, bang or talk to anyone you want to.

So again, Me, Myself and I was the only one wondering if he can talk about what he reads or see's over his network or does he have to keep it private? Again (and again) my friend does not care. It is I who is curious.

Also, thanks for all the reply's i didnt think i would get this many responses so i appreciate the time everyone took to read my thread.
    01-30-11 01:28 PM
    So again, Me, Myself and I was the only one wondering if he can talk about what he reads or see's over his network or does he have to keep it private? Again (and again) my friend does not care. It is I who is curious.
    As many have already mentioned, there is no expectation of privacy when using company equipment or systems. The company owns that communication and can do what it wants with it. In my opinion, he did keep it private as he only made a comment to 1 of the involved parties. He could have told the whole company if he wanted.
    01-30-11 05:18 PM
    In my opinion, he did keep it private as he only made a comment to 1 of the involved parties. He could have told the whole company if he wanted.
    Having the right to monitor communications on business equipment doesn't give the boss carte-blanche with that information. If the boss is reading stuff, he needs to use much more discretion.

If they want to really see what's going on, have them start BBMing about the results of their STD tests and how long the "period of outbreak" is, things of that nature. See if he can keep that info to himself... Plus, it would be getting into a potential medical confidentiality issue where, if it were real, would put him in a very precarious situation.

In today's job environment however, your friend's attitude is probably the best...
    01-30-11 06:48 PM
    Having the right to monitor communications on business equipment doesn't give the boss carte-blanche with that information. If the boss is reading stuff, he needs to use much more discretion.
    What's your angle here? Do you think a boss doesn't have the right to say something to someone on his payroll for using employer's resources? Fact of the matter is that the boss was talking with a person in the conversation. Or at least that the story. We don't know that the guy was bragging to the boss its not like he was telling people in the office..

01-30-11 08:25 PM
    What's your angle here? Do you think a boss doesn't have the right to say something to someone on his payroll for using employer's resources? Fact of the matter is that the boss was talking with a person in the conversation.
    If there was a policy in place or if the boss said "You shouldn't use business resources for personal matters", then that's acceptable. It does not mean he can make an off the cuff remark about a big date. That is not the purpose of being able to monitor business communications. You don't hint at something assuming that the person is going to get what you mean, especially if its not against policy. There are limits to what the monitoring can be used for. Accessing your bank website from work doesn't give your employer the right to have your acct number and PIN. And because its still an emerging issue, there hasn't been any definitive rulings so its going to depend on the situation and the location of the issue. The closest things that might currently are the Supreme Court's look at City of Ontario, California v. Quon and the Stengart case out of NJ. Both bounce around and don't define things well. One of the questions I could see in this situation is whether they used BBM for business reasons as well.
    01-30-11 09:27 PM
    Hmmm...what type of "raise" are we talking about?
    +1 I like that!
    01-30-11 09:29 PM
    OP - the boss can and should bring up any concerns to the employee in an appropriate setting and manner. To wink wink and make comments about a hot date is not appropriate.
    I cannot comment on my employees' love lives, dates, hairstyle, shoes, etc without cause. By that I mean that something as simple as mentioning to a man that I really like how he looks with his new beard can get me in trouble because it's inappropriate. So, the boss acted inappropriately in the manner he mentioned the communication. The appropriate manner would have been behind closed doors, after informing her that this was/was not a formal reprimand, etc.

If this had been a first time, I would have brought her in, closed the door, and said what I had found and how it's not appropriate based on paperwork she had signed as to the use of the device. If had been a second time there would have been a note mailed along with the conversation but nothing in her file, third there would have been something in her file.....do you get my point?

The boss behaved inappropriately and so did she. Learn what's expected of her and move on. I would not support action on her part at this time since she herself did not behave appropriately. If he makes off the cuff remarks in the future that are not appropriate keep a record and act appropriately when warranted.
    02-01-11 07:21 AM
    What if the BB is a pesonal one and not company issued, you merely use your BB to send and revieve emails through BES and other personal ones. How does that then effect how they monitor your BBM's
    01-15-12 09:20 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD