03-27-12 09:45 PM
1,439 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    Thanks for the great tutorial! Has anyone else been using phone#@myboostmobile.com to send and receive email? I have and it works, but with pic attachments only I think.
    08-19-09 12:02 AM
    THANKS that worked now I have everything up and running. Once again what a great tutorial and thanks for everyones help.
    08-19-09 10:35 AM
    Dear Amysharren,

Thank you first and foremost for your time, and your tremendous contribution on the crackberry forums. I, too like you have dedicated some time and resourcs to make owners of the BB 7520 enjoy their "boostberry's". ---> see my postings: http://forums.crackberry.com/f29/boo...oblems-228328/

The primary reason I contacted you is because, I helped a lady with a BB 7520 a few weeks ago, to get her OTA capability restored. Apparently, she was able to download OTA but lost that functionality as a result of updating her device to "SMS NATIVELY", which I had know idea was possible.

To make a long story short she told me that it is possible to send SMS text messages nativly, without having to go through the "Popular Sprint MMS forwarding procedure". And she sent the following link, which I believe was posted by you. So I wanted to check first hand from you if sending "SMS text natively" is possible, and if so, how to go about it?

I applaude and appreciate all of your efforts, which is very much noted by others ---> perhaps some of the people your post has helped in many ways were so excited they forgot to come back and thank you! But I just want you to know that you've done a wondeful job, which people like myself truly appreciates!!!.

I will be very grateful if you could shed some light and answers to my concerns as highlighted above.

Thank you in advance for your time !!!

My email is kwathom1@umbc.edu

Here is a guide to the things I had to do to make it work properly. As things change or move, I will try to keep both this thread and Jezghani's World with the most up-to-date information. Also, if you get stuck and you need help, I don't mind helping, but please, please, PLEASE READ all this information before you send me a PM!
    -------------------------------------------
    ALSO BE AWARE:

Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but currently we CANNOT use BLACKBERRY MESSENGER.

WE CANNOT USE PIN MESSAGING.

WE CANNOT SEND ATTACHMENTS VIA EMAIL.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this work, great, post it, let's make some magic happen. Otherwise, come on guys...

-------------------------------------------

EDIT: *This whole time I was more concerned with writing a how-to that had all the FAQ so everyone had a one-stop shop. I didn't even think to thank the person that actually combined my books with anworm's for us!

So anyways, a big thanks to http://forums.crackberry.com/members/ffdk/ for combing the books and making SO many Boosters happy!*

So there were a couple of things I had to do to start with in order for me to get some of my stuff going the way I wanted them to:

1) I had to copy all of my contacts from my SIM card

a) Click on the Contacts Icon

b) Click on the Blackberry menu key; Contacts from SIM card

c) Click on the Blackberry menu key; Copy all to Contacts

2) I had to turn off Smart Dialing (+1) dialing to be able to place calls from my phone book.

a) Click on the Green phone icon key

b) Click on the Blackberry menu key; Options; Smart Dialing

c) Change the country code to unknown

Then, you need to get all the correct service books installed so you have full access to everything. You can download them here: http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...-combined3.zip

NOTE: This is a ZIP file. You will have to extract in order to use with BB DM. If you do not know how, read this: How To: Open a Zip file

1) ENABLE SERVICE BOOK COMPLETE BACKUP / OVER WRITE / RESTORE on the Device, like this:

a) On your device, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Service Books hold Alt and hit {S}{B}{E}{B} let go of alt and it should show a message about how legacy service books are enabled.

2) BACKUP EXISTING SERVICE BOOKS

a) Hook up the phone to the laptop

b) Open Blackberry Desktop Manager -> Backup/Restore -> Advanced

i) On the right side, scroll down to Service Books, then press the <<

ii) Click on Save, and save them some place just in case

3) WRITE NEW SERVICE BOOKS TO DEVICE

a) First, clear your service books by scrolling down on the right side, high light Service Books, then press Clear

b) Check your device now (Options -> Advance Options -> Service Books)

i) If there is anything left besides something that mentions TCP/IP or Browser, delete those also

c) Open BB DM, go to Backup/Restore -> Advanced -> Left Window -> File -> Open -> select the service book file you downloaded, then the >> button to move it over. A pop-up will ask if you want to over-write. Say "Yes."

d) Disconnect phone from Computer.

e) Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table -> BB Menu key -> Register

f) go to advanced settings -> browser and change the hot spot to browser.

i) Now your browser should be enabled, along with this, you should also be able to send/receive MMS. Now would be an okay time to test this, by sending one to yourself. If you are able to send, but not receive, make sure your phone is updated with the correct IMEI on Boost's "My Account" area and that you have disabled text forwarding. It might also be a good idea to put your SIM in a different phone and make sure your number is receiving texts.

g) If you do not get the browser option restart and try again. You will need to restart with step 1 (holding down alt+sbeb).

Now that youve done that, you should also be able to use the BB inbox for email via Shangmail. This is an application that runs in the background and pushes your email to your BB.

1.) Go to Shangmails website: Shangmail-Cell phone mailbox, mobile phone e-mail, take with you freely I used the English version but it does go down from time to time. I have heard the Chinese version is more reliable but I do not know this from experience.

2.) From there, you should be able to register, add up to 5 pop3 email accounts, and download the app and install via Desktop Manager.

3.) Once installed, you have to open the application and log in. After that, it should start up instantly and push your email to you instantly.

Now you should have full use of your BoostBerry! Here are a few additional applications I recommend:

1.) Opera Mini (Opera Mini - Download)

a. You do not have to use this for web browsing since you have the native browser working, but there are some sites that load better with Opera and its faster.

2.) Google Maps (You will have to download this via the BB Browser OTA. You have the option to do this when you go to google.com with your BB Browser).

a. You now have the Blackberry Maps application installed but certain functions are blocked out because you do not have BIS/BES so this program will help. (EDIT: go into options;service books and delete 5 click ipppp) There are also other GPS programs out there. I have heard good things about AmazeGPS but I havent personally tried it.

3.) VyMail (http://www.joekrill.com/vymail/0.8.3...il-0.8.3.5.zip)

a. This is a third-party App for using YouMail. As of right now, you can only download YouMail via the Blackberry Store Application but you wont be able to use that since you dont have BIS/BES. Ive used both and this works just as well.

4.) Visible Menus Theme (http://forums.crackberry.com/f137/de...8/#post2119635)

a. A lot of third party pieces of software such as Opera Mini do not support the transparent menus that are utilized in the default them for the 8350. This theme is simply the default theme but with the fix so you dont have to worry about that anymore.

Now, if you still have the urge to forward your text messages to your email, here is the how-to on that. This is a little more updated than the other one.

1) Go to Sprint.com and where you can sign in, click on Sign Up.

2) The rest should be pretty straight forward, just fill out the form. Once you get logged it, it might say Cannot access your account at this time. Dont worry about that, just move on.

3) Go to http://mms.nextel.com/mms and log in with the same information.

4) You will see a red bar that says Your messages cannot be read. Please try again later. Do not worry about that, this is made for Sprint customers so you will never be able to read your messages on this page.

5) Click on Preferences, then Forward Messages.

6) At this point, you can choose a place to forward your messages too. This can be any email address, but the most popular is a gmail or msn account b/c you can download the app for the respective email accounts and they poll often enough. Since I downloaded shangmail, I have push email so I just used my favorite email account. I also tested sending it to yournumber@page.nextel.com. This comes in as an SMS message which is instant (sometimes shangmail can take up to 15 minutes). However, it does not show who the message is from. If you get it as an email, it will tell you its from your friends number/TYPE=PLMN@myboostmobile.com If you want to reply, you will have to send a message to your friends number@their service provider.com. Its a pain, but its better than nothing. Anyway, type in your email address and click add. If you want to test different ones to see which comes in faster or how they come in, you can add more than one address.

7) Be sure to check the boxes that say Enable Forwarding Address and Keep a Copy in my Inbox until it expires and then click Okay to save everything.
    08-19-09 10:45 AM
    My boost mobile sim card does not work on the blackberry 8350i, can someone help me out please, i put the sim card in and i cant make outgoing calls
    08-19-09 10:49 AM
    did you install your service books from poat number 1???
    08-19-09 11:15 AM
    Someone Help Me I Do All Steps Correctly But I Cant Send Mms? Whhhyy?? Who Know The Solution? I Am Frustedddd

Only I Can Recived Mms...so I Want To Senddd Please Help Mee
    08-19-09 01:40 PM
    so you dont have a compose MMS option???

i would check to make sure that i am running on the 204 OS and then i would resend my service books

thanks for the reply Casper.

No i have the option. but it never sends. the red x comes out. only when i reply to a txt it goes thruogh.

what is 204 0S? sorry kind of new at this.
    Last edited by rickrdz81; 08-19-09 at 02:03 PM.
    08-19-09 01:44 PM
    thanks for the reply Casper.

No i have the option. but it never sends. the red x comes out. only when i reply to a txt it goes thruogh.

what is 204 0S? sorry kind of new at this.
    That's your device software...go to options>wireless update>next> and check what's your current version, it should read...4.6.1.204, if it's not then it needs to be updated.
    08-19-09 02:11 PM
    08-19-09 02:15 PM
    Thanks!! mine was the .128. updating now to .204. Ill keep you all posted if this fixes my mms problem or not
    Last edited by rickrdz81; 08-19-09 at 04:06 PM.
    08-19-09 04:03 PM
    I had my phone working fine until I installed google voice... Internet stopped working so I reinstalled the SB but now I get the error "unable to find the requested server" any suggestions?
    08-19-09 07:39 PM
    Got it working now... Took out the battery and sim card and restarted BB and it now works
    08-19-09 11:00 PM
    So I just noticed where someone copied and pasted my how-to on the HoFo BoostBerry sticky as if it were their own. No biggie, but it provoked me to do a little google search.

I am did not come up with all of the information to write my how-to on my own, there are many users from several forums to thank. However, I did take the time to type up all the information, add my suggestions and information, blah blah blah. So, I thought it might be work asking that if you're going to post this somewhere else (and please do, I think EVERYONE needs a BoostBerry!), it'd be really cool if you linked back to crackberry and my blog, or at least mention that you took it from Crackberry/Jezghani's world.
    Last edited by amysharren; 08-20-09 at 04:12 AM. Reason: b/c when i put a hyphen in hofo it blocked out the first two letters like it was a dirty world! HAHA
    08-20-09 04:11 AM
    I already responded to your email, but since you posted it I'll paste that information for the group (:

First of all, thank you for the thank you! It is always much appreciated! Anyway, iDEN phones cannot send SMS. However, they can send/receive MMS. Just wanted to make sure I cleared that part up first. But if you follow the instructions I have posted, they will give you full use of your Boostberry. This is geared towards the 8350, but I think some people with the older BBs have gotten it to work this way. If you have trouble, browse through the entire thread. If you can't make it work, there are some stickies on the Boost Mobile section of HowardForums.com and there is a how-to more specific to your models.

Dear Amysharren,

Thank you first and foremost for your time, and your tremendous contribution on the crackberry forums. I, too like you have dedicated some time and resourcs to make owners of the BB 7520 enjoy their "boostberry's". ---> see my postings: http://forums.crackberry.com/f29/boo...oblems-228328/

The primary reason I contacted you is because, I helped a lady with a BB 7520 a few weeks ago, to get her OTA capability restored. Apparently, she was able to download OTA but lost that functionality as a result of updating her device to "SMS NATIVELY", which I had know idea was possible.

To make a long story short she told me that it is possible to send SMS text messages nativly, without having to go through the "Popular Sprint MMS forwarding procedure". And she sent the following link, which I believe was posted by you. So I wanted to check first hand from you if sending "SMS text natively" is possible, and if so, how to go about it?

I applaude and appreciate all of your efforts, which is very much noted by others ---> perhaps some of the people your post has helped in many ways were so excited they forgot to come back and thank you! But I just want you to know that you've done a wondeful job, which people like myself truly appreciates!!!.

I will be very grateful if you could shed some light and answers to my concerns as highlighted above.

Thank you in advance for your time !!!

My email is kwathom1@umbc.edu
    08-20-09 04:15 AM
    @ amy

IDEN phones do, do SMS text.... just not the 8350i. well it does, but not like you expect. it does it for your voicemail notification, that is all. so normal SMS text on any other NEXTEL or BOOST will be sent and received as SMS. any text sent or received on an 8350i will be MMS.
    08-20-09 05:29 AM
    @ amy

IDEN phones do, do SMS text.... just not the 8350i. well it does, but not like you expect. it does it for your voicemail notification, that is all. so normal SMS text on any other NEXTEL or BOOST will be sent and received as SMS. any text sent or received on an 8350i will be MMS.
    Oh. I always thought they could receive SMS, but not initiate/send SMS. I remember older phones having a "SMS" folder and a separate "Inbox."
    08-20-09 07:54 AM
    Piloso,

Ok I tried updating my bb but it did not let me. It says

" You cannot update your software using this system as your device is currently activated on blackberry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Proffessional Software. Please contact you administrator for updatges. Or check for udates from your carrier service provider."

any ideas?
    08-20-09 12:24 PM
    I want to be able to chat with MSN,yahoo,aol....do you guys know ,how to do it or if there any third party apps that works with the boost....thanks guys
    08-20-09 02:37 PM
    Oh. I always thought they could receive SMS, but not initiate/send SMS. I remember older phones having a "SMS" folder and a separate "Inbox."
    i kinda like it like this, you have a seprate tone for voicemail and messages and emails!!! you can change it in your profiles
    08-20-09 04:47 PM
    I want to be able to chat with MSN,yahoo,aol....do you guys know ,how to do it or if there any third party apps that works with the boost....thanks guys
    I've used Palringo, Instango
    and some other free third party messengers. But Beejive is one of the best and the most reliable one. I bought the license for it. It's worth it! I'm very happy with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 05:18 PM
    Hey I don't mean to sound like a dumb *** but I am new to the bb I did everything the guide said but I still do not get text mgs how do I disabled text forwarding if someone could let me know please

Thanks
    Rich804rva AT Gmail dot com
    08-21-09 02:51 AM
    When i do this step (e), I do not see bb menu. it says no entries.
    any ideas?

e) Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table -> BB Menu key -> Register
    08-21-09 02:10 PM
    When i do this step (e), I do not see bb menu. it says no entries.
    any ideas?

Very likely your boost sim card is not properly inserted or not activated.
    08-21-09 03:14 PM
    I've used Palringo, Instango
    and some other free third party messengers. But Beejive is one of the best and the most reliable one. I bought the license for it. It's worth it! I'm very happy with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I got lucky. I purchased IM+ for my Windows mobile device 3 years ago and just found out I can transfer the license to a BB license
    08-21-09 03:16 PM
    Very likely your boost sim card is not properly inserted or not activated.
    I activated the card last night and I am able to make calls on it. I did activate it with my 8350i, not sure if this makes a difference. I reseated the sim and it is the same.
    Any Ideas????
    08-21-09 04:16 PM
1,439 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD