03-27-12 09:45 PM
1,439 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    ...even after turning the Wi-Fi off, when I tried to access anything through the native browser it would give me an error along the lines of "That is a wi-fi operation" and would not connect. !
    Set your browser settings to:
    Open BB browser > Press BB menu > Scroll down, click on Options > Click on Browser Configuration> Settings are:
    Browser: Browser
    then make sure all the boxes are checked.
    Browser Indentification: Blackberry
    Then press BB Menu
    Click "Save Options".

Then go to "General Properties"
    Default Browser: Blackberry
    Then make sure these boxes are check marked:
    *Enabled JavaScript Location
    *Closing midfied pages
    *Running WML Scripts
    Then Press BB menu
    Click on "Save Options"

Hope this works for you.
    07-28-09 11:37 AM
    So I'm really thinking about changing over to boost now but I have a couple of questions first. I've read that some people can't use apps after the switch because they didn't set them up before the switch. What, if any, apps are these and should I worry about it?

Also, I'm going to port my number over from NEXTEL, should I worry about the $50 unlimited not being offered in the near future? I'm currently month by month with NEXTEL because my two years are way over and don't want to have to sign a new contract with somebody again.

Another question, sorry I have a lot, I want to clear everything up before the switch. I know I can't use bbmessenger or pin but everything else works right? I plan on following the tutorial but want to double check, I really want to push my email, browse the web, and take advantage of a couple other apps as well. I don't want to use shangmail either, are there other options?

Anything else you think I should know I would greatly appreciate it.
    What apps can people not use? If its something BB specific, like BB Messenger, then it won't work. I'm not sure of too many other programs that we can't get?

I wouldn't worry about the plan not being offered in the future, but I suppose anything is possible. From what I understand, Boost sales are through the roof and Sprint is making a killing. But, who knows? Also, you should check with Nextel. I think you can work it out where you can come back within 30 days back into your current plan...but maybe I'm making that up. At the least, you can just try Boost out before canceling Nextel and if you don't like it just cancel Boost. If you do, you can call Boost and have your number ported to your account at any time.

May I ask why you don't want to use Shangmail? Most of us love it, b/c it utilizes the native BB inbox. If you don't want to use the native inbox, you can use a third party program like Gmail. There are some other third party programs out there that are just POP mail clients, you can even probably find them in the store section here at crackberry. I'm not sure if they are "true" push or if they just "poll."
    07-28-09 11:45 AM
    Set your browser settings to:
    Open BB browser > Press BB menu > Scroll down, click on Options > Click on Browser Configuration> Settings are:
    Browser: Browser
    then make sure all the boxes are checked.
    Browser Indentification: Blackberry
    Then press BB Menu
    Click "Save Options".

Then go to "General Properties"
    Default Browser: Blackberry
    Then make sure these boxes are check marked:
    *Enabled JavaScript Location
    *Closing midfied pages
    *Running WML Scripts
    Then Press BB menu
    Click on "Save Options"

Hope this works for you.
    Thank you cyblitz! That absolutely fixed it! I knew someone here would know what I was doing!
    07-28-09 12:16 PM
    Your Welcome!
    07-28-09 01:06 PM
    Hello -

This thread has been extremely helpful in getting my boostberry up and running, but I am still having an issue with the browsers and some OTA downloads that I was hoping someone here might be able to help with.

I have three browsers that show up in the menu, the Blackberry browser, the NOL browser and the Hotspot browser. After updating the OS and installing the service books the only browser that works for me is the Hotspot browser. This is great because it allows OTA downloads, however, it isn't set as the default browser, and I can't seem to get it to do so. This is a problem when a third party app needs to invoke the browser (particularly AmazeGPS setup), it picks the one that doesn't work.

When I try to use the BB or NOL browser, I get the following message:
    "Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later. If the problem continues..."

As far as looking at the options, when I got to Options/Advanced Options/Browser, it says:

Default browser configuration: BlackBerry Browser
    Default MDS browser configuration: BlackBerry Browser

And I cannot change either of them to any other options.

I also played with the individual options within both the NOL and BB browser and couldn't really get anything else working by changing those options.

I am running a 7520 with the latest 4.1 update that I downloaded last week. I used the combined3.zip file from here for the books, but I can list what's in there if it will help.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks and thanks for the great thread!
    07-28-09 02:56 PM
    I've just heard some iffy things about Shangmail because it's through China. I don't really think there's anything to worry about, I was just wondering if there was another way. Are the SB's needed for Shangmail in the download for the tutorial?

And I'm almost definitely going to switch, I'm just working on getting the IT policy completely wiped from my phone. I think I almost got it.
    07-28-09 03:44 PM
    I should go change that. It must have originally been copied from a MetroPCS forum. When it says "Metro SBs," just replace that with whichever set of books you want to use, probably combine3.
    maybe for more functions You think you might be able to combine the ones you emailed me(it had 33 SBs) and the combine3 set?

I'm not having any luck doing it.
    07-28-09 04:16 PM
    i have downloaded opera mini 4 and 3 and get error failed to connect internet.
    and to contact your service provider for internet settings.
    07-28-09 05:31 PM
    First I wanna thk u for the service books they work great. But I seem to have an issue with gps. BB Maps doesn't locate satelites, google maps can't find location and amaze gps says connection problem. I did every step to a tee I also deleted that ippp 5 thingamajig. Please help u've been great so far...
    Last edited by Unique372; 07-28-09 at 07:53 PM.
    07-28-09 07:49 PM
    no internet
    this didn't work for me. i got the browser option but when i try to connect to the internet it says "you are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. as a result, the browser cannot retrieve any web pages". if i can get this bb on the net i can figure out the rest. is their a certain way to configure the phone?

pls help!
    Last edited by booostberry beau; 07-29-09 at 07:17 PM.
    07-28-09 08:05 PM
    First I wanna thk u for the service books they work great. But I seem to have an issue with gps. BB Maps doesn't locate satelites, google maps can't find location and amaze gps says connection problem. I did every step to a tee I also deleted that ippp 5 thingamajig. Please help u've been great so far...

Google maps doesn't support the gps for the 8350i yet
    07-28-09 08:21 PM
    All 3 should work. especially gmaps and bb maps

Make sure u have
    "GPS Data Source" on "Device GPS"
    "GPS Services" on "Location On"
    07-28-09 09:05 PM
    Google maps doesn't support the gps for the 8350i yet
    It does. At least it works on my 8350i
    07-28-09 09:07 PM
    I've just heard some iffy things about Shangmail because it's through China. I don't really think there's anything to worry about, I was just wondering if there was another way. Are the SB's needed for Shangmail in the download for the tutorial?

And I'm almost definitely going to switch, I'm just working on getting the IT policy completely wiped from my phone. I think I almost got it.
    I stopped using shangmail and now use Gmail mobile

With gmail mobile you can go into settings and add email accounts you own and have that mail show up in your gmail inbox you can then tell it to reply to the mail that it was sent from so as long as you are replying to maILs your ok there.

You can move the gmail ikon to the main desktop screen and the lil ikon changes when there is mail in your inbox.

You can add multiple gmail accounts if you like and switch back and forth from account to account but i choose to forward all my email accounts to 1 gmail account and turn on the reply to address sent to

My biggest gmail hate is that you dont have the option to delete multiple mails at one time you have to do them 1 at a time or log into you gmail account on a computer and delete them if you have alot to delete
    07-29-09 09:05 AM
    Can you,please,help me with this?I can not open the zip file on my computer.It keeps telling me Adobe Acrobat could not open 'combined3.ipd'.I tried with my friend's computer and it works.Can you tell me how can i get to download it,please?thanks a lot.
    07-29-09 11:17 AM
    Can you,please,help me with this?I can not open the zip file on my computer.It keeps telling me Adobe Acrobat could not open 'combined3.ipd'.I tried with my friend's computer and it works.Can you tell me how can i get to download it,please?thanks a lot.
    You don't open it, you right click it and then you click on extract all files, so you enable the file to transfer it to your phone using your Desktop Manager.

If you don't see the extract all files option then you have to google "WinRar" program and install it in your computer, it is a pay program but you can use the free trial just for this matter.
    07-29-09 11:36 AM
    This how-to as well as these SBs are geared towards the 8350i. I don't really know anything a.b the other BB models. However, there are how-tos on HoFo more specific to the other models so I think you should be able to find what you're looking for here: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - BoostBerry How-To...everything you need to get the native browser and MMS working

Hello -

This thread has been extremely helpful in getting my boostberry up and running, but I am still having an issue with the browsers and some OTA downloads that I was hoping someone here might be able to help with.

I have three browsers that show up in the menu, the Blackberry browser, the NOL browser and the Hotspot browser. After updating the OS and installing the service books the only browser that works for me is the Hotspot browser. This is great because it allows OTA downloads, however, it isn't set as the default browser, and I can't seem to get it to do so. This is a problem when a third party app needs to invoke the browser (particularly AmazeGPS setup), it picks the one that doesn't work.

When I try to use the BB or NOL browser, I get the following message:
    "Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later. If the problem continues..."

As far as looking at the options, when I got to Options/Advanced Options/Browser, it says:

Default browser configuration: BlackBerry Browser
    Default MDS browser configuration: BlackBerry Browser

And I cannot change either of them to any other options.

I also played with the individual options within both the NOL and BB browser and couldn't really get anything else working by changing those options.

I am running a 7520 with the latest 4.1 update that I downloaded last week. I used the combined3.zip file from here for the books, but I can list what's in there if it will help.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks and thanks for the great thread!
    07-29-09 02:29 PM
    Thanks MuDDuQ, I assume all of the features you talked about are available in the options menu?
    07-29-09 02:43 PM
    Thanks MuDDuQ, I assume all of the features you talked about are available in the options menu?
    yes set up a gmail account and log in with a computer and go to settings on your gmail account and you will see all the options to set up email accounts you own its kinda like push mail for gmAIL
    07-29-09 08:41 PM
    yes set up a gmail account and log in with a computer and go to settings on your gmail account and you will see all the options to set up email accounts you own its kinda like push mail for gmAIL
    I've done this and have my yahoo forwarding no problem . I can't seem to get my college email forwarding though, it's having port or POP problems. I also can't find a forward option in my college account. I think I may have to contact IT and see if it's possible, I saw something on the school IT page but no instructions.

I do have a question regarding the delete option though. Is there a way to delete the mail from my phone and the accounts?? I don't want to have to delete mail everytime I log in via the computer.
    07-29-09 10:01 PM
    I've done this and have my yahoo forwarding no problem . I can't seem to get my college email forwarding though, it's having port or POP problems. I also can't find a forward option in my college account. I think I may have to contact IT and see if it's possible, I saw something on the school IT page but no instructions.

I do have a question regarding the delete option though. Is there a way to delete the mail from my phone and the accounts?? I don't want to have to delete mail every time I log in via the computer.
    you can delete the mails from your phone but you have to do it 1 at a time you cant select multiple mails and delete them all at once. I would bet that will get fixed in future upgrades to the software
    Last edited by MuDDuQ; 07-30-09 at 12:55 AM.
    07-29-09 11:00 PM
    why do i keep loosing signal when i'm trying to reply to an email?? and the email never gets sent..i'm using shangmail if that helps...
    Last edited by dominicanodcora; 07-30-09 at 09:36 AM.
    07-30-09 09:34 AM
    no internet i read every page of this forum and tried several SB's that didn't work. i even bought some from ebay. last night i was messing around with the BB and i pulled the battery out, when i put it back in i got several sms text messages i sent a day ago. but it only worked that one time
    this how to didn't work for me. i got the browser option but when i try to connect to the internet it says "you are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. as a result, the browser cannot retrieve any web pages". can some one email a copy of their service books that work pls! (8350i)

pls help!
    Last edited by booostberry beau; 08-02-09 at 04:15 PM.
    07-30-09 09:53 AM
    this dosen't work on my phone
    07-30-09 10:45 AM
    then you are installing it wrong... or you are trying to get something to work that does not work on boost... what problem are you having exactly?
    07-30-09 10:51 AM
1,439 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD