05-23-15 04:50 PM
122 ... 2345
tools
    So...no new news on the BB Traffic front? Just checking in...
    03-16-15 09:25 AM
    The only news is that BB sent out another Email saying they're discontinuing support of Traffic, and they'd love to have us buy a BB10 phone.
    03-16-15 02:22 PM
    The only news is that BB sent out another Email saying they're discontinuing support of Traffic, and they'd love to have us buy a BB10 phone.
    Yeah I got it. I'm not one of these people that cares much for being told what to do.
    Droidophobe likes this.
    03-16-15 02:25 PM
    I just bought a 9900. I'm not impressed with BlackBerry for getting that email. I've used Traffic every day since I bought the phone. And before I get roasted for buying a legacy device, my first BlackBerry was the Z10 and my second was the Q10. I bought the 9900 to find out what the fuss was all about.
    I can see why people are angry about losing support. You could argue that we should support BlackBerry by purchasing a BlackBerry 10 device, but in reality BlackBerry makes money off of BIS users initially and monthly.
    Unfortunately BlackBerry Traffic is crowdsource so as time goes on it will become more unreliable in regards to travel time. It's too bad they can't make it cross-platformed like BBM.
    Imagine the tagline: BlackBerry Traffic: The Sat-Nav that doesn't sell your location.
    03-20-15 01:58 AM
    I just bought a 9900. I'm not impressed with BlackBerry for getting that email. I've used Traffic every day since I bought the phone. And before I get roasted for buying a legacy device, my first BlackBerry was the Z10 and my second was the Q10. I bought the 9900 to find out what the fuss was all about.
    I can see why people are angry about losing support. You could argue that we should support BlackBerry by purchasing a BlackBerry 10 device, but in reality BlackBerry makes money off of BIS users initially and monthly.
    Unfortunately BlackBerry Traffic is crowdsource so as time goes on it will become more unreliable in regards to travel time. It's too bad they can't make it cross-platformed like BBM.
    Imagine the tagline: BlackBerry Traffic: The Sat-Nav that doesn't sell your location.
    Agreed, and it's a shame they can't fork it to use other data. It's a java app...
    03-24-15 11:38 PM
    Looks like it's still working, but maybe just for today and tomorrow it's done.
    Is there any way to replicate the notify contact with arrival time from BB Traffic using Maps in BB10?
    03-27-15 06:40 AM
    Are you sync'ing the same things on both devices? If you're only sync'ing contacts, txt's, and a few other items with the 9900 but sync'ing a much of media files on the Z10, it's easy to guess why it's taking longer. Are you saying you're sync'ing the exact same data on both and Link is just slower?
    Yes. Exact same data.
    As a contingency for Traffic dying, I have upgraded my Z10 to 10.3.2 and tested out the sync. Took about 45-50 minutes for the initial sync of just contacts and calendar (normally this would just be 5-10 minutes).
    Previously I have tested this with at least 3 other Z10s (our family got a whole bunch of them unlocked when they first came out) and even syncing less than 100 contacts and almost no calendar entries would take about 30 min to complete.
    I will start to dual sync to both 9900 and Z10 and compare but I am dreading the day I fully move over to Z10 and then have the risk that my info will get messed up and have to manually restore from a backup (already happened once before and I spent half a day dealing with that mess). Also with Link for some reason you can't do Notify on Conflict for both Contacts and Calendar which is really strange. If you can do it for one you should be able to do it for the other.
    03-27-15 06:51 AM
    Several versions of Google maps from other than Google are available and solid for use.

Check th out in BlackBerry World.

Michael

This is actually a cut below getting mapquest directions and printing them to read as you drive. I had this on my BB early on. There is no turn by turn audio and certainly none of the more refined options that Traffic offers.

You obviously can't look at that tiny screen to follow yourself on the map. Forget about advice as to how far you may be from next turn etc.

I guess you could take written notes from it and read them as you are driving?...not!

I would gladly pay BB a onetime for of $50 for a one year extension on BB Traffic service. I suspect that others may as well. It would give them time to make BB Maps more like Traffic. I would look pretty favorably on the new Classic in that case.

BB obviously does not think that way. They send us EOL notifications and tell us to upgrade to a 10 platform phone....with a lesser application.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 05:03 PM
    For what it's worth, I tried out BB Traffic on my Bold 9930 today, and it no longer functions
    03-27-15 11:08 PM
    Looks like it's still working, but maybe just for today and tomorrow it's done.
    Is there any way to replicate the notify contact with arrival time from BB Traffic using Maps in BB10?
    I spoke too soon. I rebooted and now it no longer work
    So if you have a functional app just make sure you don't run out of battery or reboot your phone
    03-28-15 08:59 AM
    I have numerous addresses programmed into BlackBerry Traffic and I regularly used its voice navigation. Is there an alternative for BB OS 7? I may have to move to a new phone, and since I'm not a fan of the BB10 OS, I'll end up having to switch to an Android or iPhone. It's really quite frustrating. I went out of my way to purchase an old-generation BB new (the last boxed unit my cell provider had, and luckily I didn't have to drive far). Sure, it's outdated, but I thought for sure there would be a usable navigation app for the foreseeable future.
    03-30-15 11:02 AM
    I have now had an opportunity to fully evaluate the differences between Blackberry Traffic and the choices for OS10.

The native app on OS10, and Waze, etc all are data hogs, and battery hogs. For any serious navigation task the unit must have an external power source. The reason is easy to see - superfluous information, by the bucket load. Accurate maps of roads you are driving by out to a mile away. Beautiul graphic 3D representations of the roads you are on. All cost battery, all cost data. The Waze had traffic avoidance schemes that knew the diference between express and collectors on a freeway built in, though the native app seemed pretty good too for that.

On OS 6.x Traffic could run all day without draining the battery, gave all the essential information up front - your speed, your ETA, your time of travel, average speed, peak speed, and best of all a simple green, yellow, red, brown, black bar graph of traffic conditions ahead on your route, and on the best alternate route. And as a bonus, sitting at my desk I could predict on average traffic conditions the time of arrival for different leaving times. Summing it up, tons of useful information, little irrelevant information, and can get from here to downtown on less than a gig of data downloaded (ok the last was hyperbolic, but I nearly ran over my data plan last month because I never guessed how much data the new apps waste.)

The one killer Blackberry app no one else had was traffic. Rewrite it for 10, no silly 3d movies that a driver shouldn't be watching in any event, just simple basic traffic guidance, turn by turn with the routines Blackberry paid for years ago that do the analysis.
    03-31-15 10:07 AM
    I have now had an opportunity to fully evaluate the differences between Blackberry Traffic and the choices for

The one killer Blackberry app no one else had was traffic. Rewrite it for 10, no silly 3d movies that a driver shouldn't be watching in any event, just simple basic traffic guidance, turn by turn with the routines Blackberry paid for years ago that do the analysis.
    How true this really is!

BB Maps with voice is run of the mill at best! I have not yet read that BB plans on taking the BB Traffic 10 operating system.

This is a big mistake if it does not happen. Dictating to the market of loyal customers never works well!
    04-01-15 12:36 PM
    Finally tried out waze due to EOL. Gotta say, not impressed and hate the gimmicky ui. No way as good as bb traffic but good a free gps so good enough for now.

I don't get why bb has chosen not to keep bb traffic in bb10... Or even made a statement about it. Obviously it was a so well like I say it's right up there with bbm as core bb software. Why drop something from their ecosystem that is soooooooo well received and would make a lot of people happy vs. still pee'ing me off with no white classic...

On my q, usually had my bold with me so never looked at a alternative to maps on my q. Guess it's time to evaluate..
    Last edited by diehardbbuser; 04-06-15 at 10:49 AM.
    04-06-15 10:36 AM
    I only use my phone for calls/text/gps, and my curve was perfect for that... I loved how i could see the list of departure and arrival times so i knew when i should leave to get to the destination in time (and it was always accurate).

I just switched to an android because they shut down BB traffic, but none of the GPS apps on android route me as well as traffic did... I tried google maps, waze, here maps, tom tom, etc, they don't know how to do a U turn from an intersection onto a highway. Instead, they take me across the whole city to use a different on ramp. The other gps apps turn my 2 min drive into a 10 min drive.

I miss my: "Make a U-Turn if safe and ALLOW DAT"

They screwed me once with the playbook, and now with one of their phones, they aren't getting my business a third time.
    Last edited by Brett Sanderson; 04-06-15 at 10:21 PM.
    04-06-15 10:07 PM
    Seriously waze as the best option...

Man waze is driving me nuts vs bb traffic. Nice to having a working GPS on bold but ,man alive it's annoying, tells me to turn usually just before I hit intersection, won't let save km vs miles, switching between map view and street view while driving is dangerously cumbersome.. All those silly icons on map view of interest things arrgggghhh.

even if real time data wasn't accurate due to less people using it! it's still way way way better then what we have now.. I'd rather a no it of accuracy loss over this... Pls pls pls bb bring it back online and code a vs for bb10... Maps on bb10 simply doesn't hold a stick to bb traffic,
    04-17-15 12:44 PM
    Because I'm always running late in the morning and need the ETA function that automatically updates, I just picked up a functional Magellan nav device for the car. Not what I prefer, I really like that bar graph that tells you where you are going to hit traffic. I did just see that google maps is working on the Bold again (though I can't seem to sign in and save places), but I will try out the traffic function on that. IIRC, it worked well.
    04-25-15 11:45 PM
    Try Wisepilot, it works great on my 9900! The "trial" one is free, you can upgrade for life traffic and speed camera warnings.
    04-28-15 01:05 PM
    Just following up on this thread to see what other legacy users have done since BB Traffic shut down. This shut down was the reason I finally started using my Z30 as the primary device. And now a Classic. But I agree with all the key points made about the great features of BlackBerry Traffic, that it was a killer app and that it should not have been discontinued so suddenly.

BlackBerry Maps is fine for now, but I am surprised at the lack of details around route information, speed and all that which BB Traffic was providing. Also, when I do a full device switch between Z30 and Classic, Link doesn't even restore your "My Places" (favorites, recents). I even tried to selectively restore BlackBerry Maps from a full backup, and there isn't an option for "BlackBerry Maps" at all in the restore. So this is something BlackBerry needs to provide a solution for as well.

For anyone still using their 9900, have you found an alternative to BB Traffic? Or has anyone else tried Wisepilot as mentioned by stevebenko?
    05-12-15 01:41 PM
    BLACKBERRY TRAFFIC..... BB has burned another bridge.

I am a long time Blackberry supporter.
    Two years ago I just bought a curve 9370 (with much difficulty).
    I love the small size and keyboard.

I basically use e-mail, navigate and surf the web at home.

Is there any replacement for this Blackberry Traffic APP? IT WAS GREAT!

My smart phone was for navigation and e-mails. That was it. Now 1/2 of the phone does not work.

I was considering the Classic, but was waiting as what I had was smaller and worked well.

I finally think I will give up on BB.
    05-22-15 12:38 PM
    NO more Blackberry for me... I will get what my wife and kids have. BB abandoned us.
    Traffic was great.
    05-22-15 12:40 PM
    I tried Wisepilot, I can't even get it to work. NOT remotely comparable.

Blackberry has abandoned us, it is time to move on to Android like 99% of the other people out there.
    05-22-15 12:42 PM
    Wisepilot on 9730, not working for me. (free trial)
    05-22-15 12:44 PM
    I agree. On to Android after all these years. 9730 was great for GPS and e-mails (surfed at home). I was thinking about the Classic but NO WAY NOW. People made fun of me for sticking with BB. I guess I was the fool.
    05-22-15 12:47 PM
    BB sucks... They just lost another customer. Management at the company is so POOR it is beyond laughable. If they made cars they would screw up the wheel.

BB Traffic and the keyboard was why I still had my curve.
    05-22-15 12:50 PM
122 ... 2345